Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1999_student)
    think its quite similar but slightly more maths and probably a few different topics or case studies not really sure, good news if it gets better though
    In my opinion:

AS - Quite easy and boring at times.

A2 - Very interesting but quite hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    In my opinion:

AS - Quite easy and boring at times.

A2 - Very interesting but quite hard
    okay thats bettter though hopefully if i find it interesting ill work lolz

ReputationRep:
    Would love to know how it differed from the degree.
    Have a degree in it, but no A level.

ReputationRep:
    So it gets a little better then over the year, did you drop it because you preferred your other subjects
    Yeah, I liked my other subjects more, but also my 6th forms social science department was getting worse as so many teachers left, and it was my lowest AS grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    Yeah, I liked my other subjects more, but also my 6th forms social science department was getting worse as so many teachers left, and it was my lowest AS grade
    what else did you take

ReputationRep:
    what else did you take
    I did History, English Literature and Philosophy, and also General Studies which my 6th form stopped running so I didn't carry on with that either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    oh awesome how was that

ReputationRep:
    AS and its just like boring! does it get more interesting?
    it depends, we're doing forensic psych right now, which is interesting. AS is mostly the approaches which get tedious after a term, A2 has more application.....

and the teacher definitely affects it, mine gets the work done with time to spare for a magic trick or two, gives people the motivation to come to the lesson....

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is easy lol, I ****ed up last year cos I did some notes but didn't revise them til 3 hours before the exams so I ended up with a C 6 marks off a B (at AS), this year I'm getting full marks in tests and assessments, you just got to learn what to write in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Currently studying it at A level and I've heard it's very superficial compared to degree level. It's like what you could imagine GCSE Psychology would be, you have to learn lots of theories and studies and methodology then amalgamate all of it to answer pointless questions like 'Write a letter to Dr. Unknown evaluating the statistical definition of abnormality (6 marks)'

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of studying Psychology at A level starting in September 2016 alongside Biology, Chemistry and Maths because I'd like to study medicine. Is this a good idea and could anyone give me any advice or their views on A level Psychology? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    i've started the course this year (the 'modified' one) to a 2 year course and similar to you i am also doing biology and chemistry (german is my fourth) i find it great so far even though it has only been 6 weeks of it, it is popular in my year and even for the upper year as well, i would recommend it as it ties in with your other subjects and still is great fun! (of course only a recommendation, it depends on your other choices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobio32)
    i've started the course this year (the 'modified' one) to a 2 year course and similar to you i am also doing biology and chemistry (german is my fourth) i find it great so far even though it has only been 6 weeks of it, it is popular in my year and even for the upper year as well, i would recommend it as it ties in with your other subjects and still is great fun! (of course only a recommendation, it depends on your other choices!
    Thankyou for the advice! The other thing I was wondering is if Pschology is looked down on by unis or do you/ or anyone else know if this would be an issue when applying to medicine if you have three other strong a levels?

ReputationRep:
    oh awesome how was that
    All in all pretty amazing. The breadth of knowledge is really great, but suffers a bit in that it isn't all too specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles2)
    Currently studying it at A level and I've heard it's very superficial compared to degree level. It's like what you could imagine GCSE Psychology would be, you have to learn lots of theories and studies and methodology then amalgamate all of it to answer pointless questions like 'Write a letter to Dr. Unknown evaluating the statistical definition of abnormality (6 marks)'
    Ah, fair enough. I suppose then the only difference is the complexity of the questions/answers. I'm up to MSc now, and it just seems like the same old in terms of your own input but with slightly increasing amounts of evaluation expected, whilst moving on to more unknowns and more complex issues. Like now I'm starting to see how much of f* all we actually know about most things to do with the brain.

ReputationRep:
    how do i pass without working????? also are your psych teachers crazy too
    If you don't want to work, there's no point at all in doing A-Levels to be perfectly honest. Plus it makes you sound lazy!

I had to repeat the year because I didn't revise enough. So go ahead, make the same mistake I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siobhanx13)
    Im thinking of studying Psychology at A level starting in September 2016 alongside Biology, Chemistry and Maths because I'd like to study medicine. Is this a good idea and could anyone give me any advice or their views on A level Psychology? Thank you
    This is the perfect subject combination, they cross over so well! (I did the exact same subjects when I first did year 12).

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there could be different subjects that could increase your chances of being accepted into uni studying medicine if you are in competition with other people (further maths, physics) but of course psychology still links in as well as showing a related interests! but dont forget its depends on the uni and the results that you get, so go with the subjects you feel you can achieve your best in and enjoy at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    If you don't want to work, there's no point at all in doing A-Levels to be perfectly honest. Plus it makes you sound lazy!

I had to repeat the year because I didn't revise enough. So go ahead, make the same mistake I did.
    Hi , I don't want this to come across rude as it is a genuine question , do you have any tips for AS as the year above me who are now in year 13 did badly at AS and im so scared that'll happen to me
    Im doing Government&politics , history , english lit and psychology and im trying my hardest with them I just have that gnawing feeling that im going to fail
    Any help would be appreciated thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightsoul)
    Hi , I don't want this to come across rude as it is a genuine question , do you have any tips for AS as the year above me who are now in year 13 did badly at AS and im so scared that'll happen to me
    Im doing Government&politics , history , english lit and psychology and im trying my hardest with them I just have that gnawing feeling that im going to fail
    Any help would be appreciated thanks
    Yes, my year did pretty badly too, I managed to get a B this time round though which I am very thankful for

All I can say is, make revision resources as you go along - cue cards, mind maps, etc. You'll find this very useful when it comes to revision. Also, exam technique is very important - in another one of my subjects I lost marks because I didn't put certain things in. If you don't know how to answer the question, remembering all the material won't help. This was the reason most of my year didn't do as well as expected. Do mock exams and definitely ask your teacher if you don't know how to answer a question. For another one of my subjects I made cue cards, mind maps, keyword lists and planned out all of the exam questions. I ended up with an A in that.

But to be perfectly honest, I knew fairly early in the year that I was miserable at college, hated my subjects and wasn't getting the right support (I have Aspergers). That led to me doing no revision and low attendance. The second time around, the complete fear of failure made me do everything I hadn't in the previous year. If you're trying, you'll be rewarded.

Hope that helped... Best of luck!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.