Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Child soldiers, are they responsible? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yulebook)
    That could happen to anyone though. Ever looked at how chav or black culture works? I know Chavs are quite tame in the UK but over in the Americas, crime sometimes looks like a civil war!. And importantly many of them a quite young.
    But children are more vulnerable and when war ends you end up with a ****ed up generation (see Sierra Leone for example)
    The comparison with gang/crime culture does stand, especially in some parts in Chicago it's equally destructive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    I would say it's fairly moral to save yourself in a situation like that, to be honest.
    But you aren't just saving yourself, you are condemning the other person to die. In fact by direct consequence to your action he dies, so you have killed him. How can that be moral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    What do you think?

I would say no as they, really speaking, have no choice but to participate otherwise they will be killed and they have no way out of it.
    At what point does a child soldier become morally responsible? The moment they turn 18?

(Original post by Bill_Gates)
    think the leaders are more liable and the arms dealers.
    What if the leaders and arms dealers were child soldiers themselves and moved up the ranks? (In light of above question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    At what point does a child soldier become morally responsible? The moment they turn 18?

What if the leaders and arms dealers were child soldiers themselves and moved up the ranks? (In light of above question)
    As soon as someone is an adult they are eligible for their own actions
    Never come across an arms dealer who was a child soldier lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    As soon as someone is an adult they are eligible for their own actions
    Never come across an arms dealer who was a child soldier lol.
    It seems strange that one second someone is responsible and the next they are not..

How many arms dealers have you come across? :/

ReputationRep:
    It seems strange that one second someone is responsible and the next they are not..

How many arms dealers have you come across? :/
    Well like i said they are both responsible but a child less so and an adult more so.

Arms dealers are very professional they are listed on the stock exchange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhtw)
    But you aren't just saving yourself, you are condemning the other person to die. In fact by direct consequence to your action he dies, so you have killed him. How can that be moral?
    I get your point, but in a life and death situation where someone has to die, no decision is going to be completely moral, but saving yourself can still be considered as such.

I wouldn't say so. I don't think everyone becomes an 'adult' as soon as they turn 18. Everyone is different. I would say once they are not forced to commit atrocious acts. Like, if a child soldier rapes an innocent person then they are fully responsible for that. At the beginning of their times, they are forced to commit murder (and other acts) by their commanders, but once that goes, they are responsible.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone have seen the synthetic beasts Isis folks have been breeding in Mosul and raqqa, you will sure want those Devils dead. They have been infected with an incurable virus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    Yes they are.

When you hear some story about a guy who is in his early 20's who was a child soldier from the age of 12 and you're supposed to feel sympathy for him and ignore the fact he's been raping and killing for years it's such *******s, try to escape, shoot the warlord, do something. They are every bit as complicit in what they do as soldiers who commit atrocities in the same way as Cambodian soldiers working for the Khmer Rouge or Sri Lankans killing Tamils.
    What a moronic post, life isn't some kind of movie the kids are brainwashed into fighting for rebels and if they try to escape or do anything else they are killed, if they say no to joining they are killed. "Kill the warlord" yeah, kill the warlord then get killed by the rest of the soldiers good plan.

Children that are drawn into situations like these are often abused; the girls raped, the boys beaten/tortured. You're acting like this is Kids Next Door.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.