Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Katie Price fan went to uni for just TWO WEEKS so she could bag £14,000 student loan watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It is paid termly, why on earth did she get the full years loans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    bear™ just dropped his toast.
    lol I'm pretty sure you cant trademark the word "bear"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    lol I'm pretty sure you cant trademark the word "bear"
    yep and i also trademarked lol™ so you owe me 20p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Rag uses CAPITAL LETTERS to emphasise the most sensationalist part of their headline!
    Haha yes, Mail, Mirror, Express etc all do this, as if their readers are too stupid to be shocked by a headline unless it's got capital letters to emphasise the sensationalism :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    She will have overpayment charges for not staying to whole term.

Also how did she manage to get £14,000 in one term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no way - the story has to be a typical piece of media exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    yep and i also trademarked lol™ so you owe me 20p
    You didn't trademark it between colons though so :lol:

ReputationRep:
    She should be prosecuted for fraud and put away if this was her intention to begin with tbh.

Anyway, when I was at uni the tuition payments were made directly to them, not through me. When did that change?

ReputationRep:
    Wait. How the **** does the English/Welsh system work? Here in Scotland you get a hard cap of £4500 unless you can prove your parents are low income. In which case its a £4500 loan with a ~£1000-2000 bursary on top depending on course and income. We also only get that in installments. For instance I got a ~£1200 first payment then installments of ~£400 every month. Which barely covers my rent. Food/clothes/transport Im expected pay from a job or savings. The other part of your state funding goes straight to the uni (which you dont need to pay back, nor are you told how much it is).

At no point do you get handed a large chunk of cash in hand. I dont get hows shes done this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Wait. How the **** does the English/Welsh system work? Here in Scotland you get a hard cap of £4500 unless you can prove your parents are low income. In which case its a £4500 loan with a ~£1000-2000 bursary on top depending on course and income. We also only get that in installments. For instance I got a ~£1200 first payment then installments of ~£400 every month. Which barely covers my rent. Food/clothes/transport Im expected pay from a job or savings. The other part of your state funding goes straight to the uni (which you dont need to pay back, nor are you told how much it is).

At no point do you get handed a large chunk of cash in hand. I dont get hows shes done this.
    You don't get large pay outs it is sensationalist (read lying) reporting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yeah I realised this after checking the source of the story in the OP xD.

ReputationRep:
    She lacks class and she's a complete mess, but she's actually very clever

ReputationRep:
    OK, lemmie be the first one here:

I would.

ReputationRep:
    She will have overpayment charges for not staying to whole term.

Also how did she manage to get £14,000 in one term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She didn't. She got £7k two years running. 3k went directly to the uni each year and 4k went to her in installments. She probably paid her boob job and other treatments in installments. This was 6 years ago and she still isn't earning the 17k threshold...or she does the sort of modelling that pays cash in hand and flies under the HMRC radar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    She didn't. She got £7k two years running. 3k went directly to the uni each year and 4k went to her in installments. She probably paid her boob job and other treatments in installments. This was 6 years ago and she still isn't earning the 17k threshold...or she does the sort of modelling that pays cash in hand and flies under the HMRC radar.
    It doesn't go under the SLC radar.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this can't have happened, so I don't know where the money came from, but it wasn't SLC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnetennba)
    I've heard of people doing this before. I don't understand how people can remain enrolled at uni (and still receive their loans etc) if they don't attend any lectures/seminars or hand in any coursework though?! And I don't understand how she managed to splurge her tuition fee money - I thought it had always gone straight from SFE to the institution.
    Yep seen this before in Romford its all the rage with girls now and the oxygen of publicity will just make it worse, guys by beemers too.

The Uni gets fees but the other half rent/living allowance goes straight to your bank.

ReputationRep:
    The most shocking part ~ why would anybody be a fan on katy price?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think it's completely made up, but it is exaggerated. It just says she "applied" for loans. Well, anyone can apply. It never says what she actually got.

So yeah, she applied for the 7k loan, some of which would have gone to the uni for tuition fees anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I don't think it's completely made up, but it is exaggerated. It just says she "applied" for loans. Well, anyone can apply. It never says what she actually got.

So yeah, she applied for the 7k loan, some of which would have gone to the uni for tuition fees anyway.
    I think the bulk of the text is made up or deliberately misrepresented. This is the Daily Mail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    She should be prosecuted for fraud and put away if this was her intention to begin with tbh.

Anyway, when I was at uni the tuition payments were made directly to them, not through me. When did that change?
    It's still the case. Lazy reporting.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.