Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think all humans deserve love? watch

• Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    yes, that is why i try to spread my cavy love

ReputationRep:
    Erm it's not a fundamental human right so no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Erm it's not a fundamental human right so no...
    That implies if anyone deserves something they have a right to it.
    "They played really well as a team, the other team were so lucky they won!"

I'm not sure you can reduce deserving things to human rights (or any 'rights' in much the same way you can't reduce morality down to what the law is).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    To confirm, are you saying 'Right' as in 'correct' or are you saying 'Right-this is why you're wrong" in a kind of "Right then, where do we start?" sort of a way?

I don't agree that love is unconditional, otherwise we'd not be able to stop loving people.
    Right in the sense of this, or - to be a bit clearer - in the sense of agree with you.

Depends on the point of view. When I was falling in love with people, it is unconditional, that is to say it does not matter, yeah, it does not even care, what an origin, what a colour skin, hair colour or something like that this person has.

But there are also aspects where you are right: to fall in love with a person, it has to be certain reasons: the appeal and the characteristic to name two examples.

ReputationRep:
    That implies if anyone deserves something they have a right to it.
    "They played really well as a team, the other team were so lucky they won!"

I'm not sure you can reduce deserving things to human rights (or any 'rights' in much the same way you can't reduce morality down to what the law is).
    There's many things that we'd like to have individually but because the post stated 'all humans', the only fundamental things that we deserve to have for the mere fact that we're human beings is our human rights. Love doesn't fall under that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Right in the sense of this, or - to be a bit clearer - in the sense of agree with you.

Depends on the point of view. When I was falling in love with people, it is unconditional, that is to say it does not matter, yeah, it does not even care, what an origin, what a colour skin, hair colour or something like that this person has.

But there are also aspects where you are right: to fall in love with a person, it has to be certain reasons: the appeal, the body language and the characteristic to name three examples.
    Are you saying that you don't choose to fall in love? That in other people there are qualities that might preempt how you think about them, but love works independently of that, so such qualities don't effect your perception of them.

ReputationRep:
    There's many things that we'd like to have individually but because the post stated 'all humans', the only fundamental things that we deserve to have for the mere fact that we're human beings is our human rights. Love doesn't fall under that.

I don't understand, it seems like a false dichotomy to compare universal human rights (by that I assume you mean the EU human rights charter, which you feel all should be protected by, but if you mean natural/moral rights do let me know) to what people do or don't deserve, whether it's intrinsic to being human or not.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, it seems like a false dichotomy to compare universal human rights (by that I assume you mean the EU human rights charter, which you feel all should be protected by, but if you mean natural/moral rights do let me know) to what people do or don't deserve, whether it's intrinsic to being human or not.
    I mean natural/moral rights.

ReputationRep:
    I mean natural/moral rights.
    This is not a concept that makes sense to me. Rights seem to be a societal creation (not that every society uses them, but that they are akin to other virtual realities), much like money is, it has value, but it comes from us. Moral rights fall pray to context independent universalisation, and morality kind of needs context.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you saying that you don't choose to fall in love? That in other people there are qualities that might preempt how you think about them, but love works independently of that, so such qualities don't effect your perception of them.
    Erm...no?!

Could it be that I was not clear enough? to fall in love or loving someone is just a matter of moment. It happens everytime and everywhere. And I don't think that this strong feeling is controlled by ourselves. It comes into being all of a sudden. Surely, it has a reason why people begin to love. And when they begin to love, in this moment, this feeling is unconditional. And yes, this feeling can be stopped, if the expectations are not satisfied. That is a moment as well.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Someone liked my post just now and I think I can articulate myself a bit better.

How is it any different from asking: "Does my phone deserve to be black?"/"Does my phone deserve to be perceived as black?" (arguably different, arguably one in the same as questions).
    A phone is not a conscious creature so cannot experience variations in its quality of experience. It doesn't make sense to say of a phone that it deserves anything, because the phone's quality of experience is not affected one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    A phone is not a conscious creature so cannot experience variations in its quality of experience. It doesn't make sense to say of a phone that it deserves anything, because the phone's quality of experience is not affected one way or the other.
    I really don't understand where this entitlement to other people feeling a certain way is legitimatised (though not for lack of trying I'm sure you'll agree ).

ReputationRep:
    Love is something human and so we are all(nearly) capable of love. Love however is onesided so love is possilbe. 2 sided love is what most people want though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I really don't understand where this entitlement to other people feeling a certain way is legitimatised (though not for lack of trying I'm sure you'll agree ).
    I previously explained that I don't agree that there is a burden on other people to feel a certain way. It should be underlined that there's a distinction between the two statements: "people deserve to be loved," and "people are obliged to love." The first statement is my belief; the second is not.

So, I don't believe that there is an entitlement to other people feeling a certain way about you; what I believe is that you have an entitlement to be loved. Whether the universe, or society, etc., is able to deliver on this entitlement is a matter of circumstance.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.