Turn on thread page Beta

I am a ex-Muslim than turned into a Desit. Ask me anything. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchmen98)
    What about now?
    I am an atheist(technically an agnostic one)

Whether or not there is a god, it doesn't change my life one bit, I also read some Nietzsche. Just because the universe is complex(and it bloody well is) doesn't mean it was created. If you think about it, the universe came out of nothing but some people believe it was caused by something(then who created the creator?) or it was an accident and it just makes sense to me that way. We keep trying to give life this whole story to make it more meaning and to make ourselves seem special. We are creatures of mere chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.Nietzsche)

Whether or not there is a god, it doesn't change my life one bit, I also read some Nietzsche. Just because the universe is complex(and it bloody well is) doesn't mean it was created. If you think about it, the universe came out of nothing but some people believe it was caused by something(then who created the creator?) or it was an accident and it just makes sense to me that way. We keep trying to give life this whole story to make it more meaning and to make ourselves seem special. We are creatures of mere chance.
    True that it doesn't change life but we humans question everything because we are intelligent creatures. I look into this aspect of philosophy to feed my never ending curiosity . I will never find the right answer but oh well, its like being a goat with horns too big ( read into 'The Last Messiah' ).
    I agree to disagree with you about the existence of god

ReputationRep:
    True that it doesn't change life but we humans question everything because we are intelligent creatures. I look into this aspect of philosophy to feed my never ending curiosity . I will never find the right answer but oh well, its like being a goat with horns too big ( read into 'The Last Messiah' ).
    I agree to disagree with you about the existence of god
    Agreed! (:

But answer me this, if you believe that the universe had to have a cause then who caused the 'causer'?

ReputationRep:

Like your way of thinking . For me the complexity of universe(s) implies randomness and lack of some sort of meaning .
    We are part of this chaotic randomness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    Like your way of thinking . For me the complexity of universe(s) implies randomness and lack of some sort of meaning .
    We are part of this chaotic randomness.
    Thanks!
    Well, that's the thing, there is no objective meaning. Life has as much meaning as you give it.

Yes, we are. I like to think that it means we are free, we are not tied down by some meaning or purpose, we can change our purpose as we please.

So how long have you been an ex-Muslim? I mean, what was the moment that made you decide that "no this isn't right?"

It's pretty interesting

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    Well, that's the thing, there is no objective meaning. Life has as much meaning as you give it.

Yes, we are. I like to think that it means we are free, we are not tied down by some meaning or purpose, we can change our purpose as we please.
    So do you believe in free will? I'm not so sure if I do. It would be much more relaxing to believe to it, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
    We are governed by physical laws, it is not 'we' that take the decisions but nature : just like computers seem to 'think' but what actually happens is electrons in action.
    I like to give my life a meaning and feel free and I have to say that I enjoy the whole experience a lot in my own way, but in the end of the day I can see there is no purpose at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    So how long have you been an ex-Muslim? I mean, what was the moment that made you decide that "no this isn't right?"

It's pretty interesting
    It is not a moment . You don't just wake up and become an atheist,deist,sceptical of personal god in general . It takes some time and it can also hurt if you were a strong believer, but the outcome feels better.

ReputationRep:
    So do you believe in free will? I'm not so sure if I do. It would be much more relaxing to believe to it, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
    We are governed by physical laws, it is not 'we' that take the decisions but nature : just like computers seem to 'think' but what actually happens is electrons in action.
    I like to give my life a meaning and feel free and I have to say that I enjoy the whole experience a lot in my own way, but in the end of the day I can see there is no purpose at all...
    Yes, I would say I do believe in free will.
    We are not predestined to be or do anything. We are free, in my opinion.

We are very different to computers though, computers are built by humans whereas humans haven't really been built. We aren't just biological computers, we are far more complex than that.

It is not a moment . You don't just wake up and become an atheist,deist,sceptical of personal god in general . It takes some time and it can also hurt if you were a strong believer, but the outcome feels better.
    I know I know but surely there is a moment when you finally decide and that doubt is no longer doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Great to meet another fellow!

I never was really in it by choice. As in, you are automatically born a muslim if your parents are so. So over time I decided to think about it rather than the " I am because I am' thought process.

I then realised that there is no logical reasoning behind believing in a certain religion. Religion to me is just a matter of probability where you tend to believe in a certain religion because of your parents beliefs. Doesn't this kinda defeat the purpose of believing in something?
    What about you?
    How can you deny your own existence ???? if you were a Dentist? you would understand the physiology of your own body, the perfection. the creation and the concept.

Nothing can be done without imagination, creation and by putting an effort and doing something. Lets suppose if you create something. only you would know how to operate it properly. You can assume something just '' HAPPEN'' lol. come on its a common sense. I know its not common but DONT WORRY. I will try and help you with anything :-)

So you have created SOMETHING :-) and u pass it to me? How can I operate it without a manual , I will either break it or if I am too clever and work out how to use it? then I will perhaps damage it after sometime. but if I ask you how to operate it? then I will use it in the BEST POSSIBLE WAY :-) why??!!!

Because creator knows everything about its creation. Similarly, GOD knows everything about US as he created US. He sent us MANUAL (holy scriptures) but we people didn't like the way GOD asked us to live according to the manual, Hence we changed GOD'S manuals. and now most of the holy scriptures are corrupt. and its all our sins we corrupted them. '' WE MEANS PEOPLE BEFORE US''

But now GOD has sent a perfect book, free from corruption and he himself has taken its responsibility and NO ONE ever would change it . NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER !!! :-D GOD himself is a protector.

and guess what? the book is THE HOLY QURAN :-) You will know it if you read it fully JUST ONCE :-)

Any questions??? Come back to me :-) I will try and help every single of you. As I type even this is GOD's help, he made me healthy to see, read, understand, write and try and convince you :-) Hopefully GOD willing :-)

Don't forget to come back to me :-) Remember??? ANY QUESTION :-) InshaALLAH I will help :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    I know I know but surely there is a moment when you finally decide and that doubt is no longer doubt.
    I guess there is, but I am not sure if it is a really special moment...

I guess there is, but I am not sure if it is a really special moment...
    Well it's like everything you were taught (religion wise) is gone, so its not special; more like an epiphany for you guys ( I imagine) it's difficult and emotional so it's not special because of everything that comes with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Well it's like everything you were taught (religion wise) is gone, so its not special; more like an epiphany for you guys ( I imagine) it's difficult and emotional so it's not special because of everything that comes with it
    I understand your point , you are not wrong : what I mean is that the procedure hurts not the end of it. Religion is a vital part of human's life ,of course I can't deny this.

I understand your point , you are not wrong : what I mean is that the procedure hurts not the end of it. Religion is a vital part of human's life ,of course I can't deny this.
    I understand... Going from believing one thing to doubting and having to rethink everything that you have been taught probably tears you down and probably ****s up a lot of things. Do you feel a sense of relief once you've made the final decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Wait what comes with it?

Wait what comes with it?
    Lol
    The family problems, doubting everything to do with faith and religion, emotional stress all that stuff

ReputationRep:
    Title.
    Well, what is a Desit? Is that a more liberal sect of Islam, or a different religion altogether?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    I understand... Going from believing one thing to doubting and having to rethink everything that you have been taught probably tears you down and probably ****s up a lot of things. Do you feel a sense of relief once you've made the final decision?
    No you don't.I mean some people do feel relief,but that's really not the point. As Nietzsche said:'God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? '
    The point is not believing in something that will make you feel relief, but something that makes sense .
    I respect you for remaining calm .

ReputationRep:
    the title probably attracted more people than the OP's purpose of the thread

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.