(Original post by Jantaculum)
    Don't you just love policy language?

funding would be repurposed to support postgraduate students
    …but this doesn't promise postgraduate loans

the government announced its intention to
    …intention is a great word - 'we might but we might not'

made clear that intention
    …made it clear that they might or might not

They imply that the money will be removed from one programme to support another, but they don't actually say it
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeWalker)
    Right in that situation now. I don't want to apply much later than February but I can't see it happening that the scheme will happen this cycle - maybe next year in which case it would be announced around Autumn/September at the latest.

Could very likely be another year but I'll be watching the thread. It might benefit some people to be priced out for a while though...teach them to be less reliant on student loans.
    My honest advice: don't wait because they are not likely to come. Someone in this thread has already contacted DfE and there has not been a straight reply. That's a red flag.

But this is what we know: unlike undergrad fees which are currently at 9K at most unis, tuition fees for postgrad studies keep rising every year. So if you can, work for several years, save up and pay for it yourself. I know it might not feasible for you but right now, this is the most certain path imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    My honest advice: don't wait because they are not likely to come. Someone in this thread has already contacted DfE and there has not been a straight reply. That's a red flag.

But this is what we know: unlike undergrad fees which are currently at 9K at most unis, tuition fees for postgrad studies keep rising every year. So if you can, work for several years, save up and pay for it yourself. I know it might not feasible for you but right now, this is the most certain path imo.
    Thanks for such straightforward advice. That is certainly a red flag and any positive action on these loans would have been announced at the start of this academic year.

It's not feasible at this very moment to save up but it is more realistic, and smart, than waiting on a loan --- I'm leery about taking on more tuition debt. The rising price doesn't reflect the worth of a master's in most situations, to me, therefore I see it as a symptom of a growing education bubble.

ReputationRep:
    I directly emailed the department that seems to be in charge of this and they responded quite quickly to say that the announcement about it is expected to be in "late autumn". Which I presume would mean pretty soon? Not really sure what the definition of "autumn" is here.

They said the results would be announced here but I've also noticed they've now added a huge thing at the top of the page to emphasise that this was something proposed under the coalition government

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it was in the Autumn Statement 2014 - http://www.postgraduatesearch.com/ho...work/ap-50938/ but was it in the most recent Tory Manifesto? Can anyone verify this?

Because if it was, and they do drop it, we should hope that the media would go for the Tories with the big guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pomme de terre)
    I directly emailed the department that seems to be in charge of this and they responded quite quickly to say that the announcement about it is expected to be in "late autumn". Which I presume would mean pretty soon? Not really sure what the definition of "autumn" is here.

They said the results would be announced here but I've also noticed they've now added a huge thing at the top of the page to emphasise that this was something proposed under the coalition government
    That page has not been updated since they added the blue message saying that the proposal was from the previous government. The pilot study results have not even been published. And they are several months late already.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y-response.pdf

Is this relevant?

ReputationRep:
    Its the report from the consultation process. It doesn't oblige the current g'ment to adhere to anything discussed, suggested or proposed in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Its the report from the consultation process. It doesn't oblige the current g'ment to adhere to anything discussed, suggested or proposed in it.
    They have been confirmed now.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.