Turn on thread page Beta

Wearing a Poppy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Where I'm from, "I don't wear a poppy because those who fought and died for my freedom were shot by the British Army in Kilmainham Gaol in 1916 and throughout the Anglo-Irish War. For me, and for many others in this island, to wear a poppy is an act of treason against the Republic, and a profound insult to the memory of our patriot dead.

I respect those who belong to another tradition, and who retain the loyalty of their ancestors towards the British Crown. For them the courage of their fellow Irishmen who fought and died in Flanders fields is an enduring memory, an act of supreme sacrifice, and the blood offering by which they are bound for ever to the Queen and her successors. It is not a tradition to which I belong, as I am mindful of a different bloody sacrifice, offered in the Stonebreakers' Yard in May 1916, one by which part of this island was freed from foreign tyranny."

So, living in England, what do I do? I don't wear a poppy, but I observe the silence on the 11th of November, if I am in the UK. I make a point of attending a service as an act of courtesy towards the country in which I live, and to honour the memory of their dead.
    That's a good thing. You are a loyal to and care about your own people. You also respect the traditions and observances of other people as much as you can without sacrificing your own traditions and culture. That is something I respect.

People of similar political views to me - the left, basically - claim it as being: a sign of British imperialism because all of these people who 'died for our freedom' were being used to further the establishment's interests - especially in recent times... (Iraq *cough* oil)
    I don't see it in that. I certainly don't see the First World War as a war that protected our freedom or anything like that. It was a irrational, brutal and dysgenic bloodletting unparalleled in history. The greatest mistake of Western civilisation. That doesn't mean I won't honour the dead that include my own kin.

The Mighty Bush - I don't know what left wingers you've come across but it's clear you haven't met any real left wingers and are just a right winger - "lefties" being the word that confirms it. No average, run-of-the-mill left winger criticises and belittles what other people's views are - that's the righties.
    I know far more left-wingers than right-wingers. Both sides belittle the other's views. It is just that the prevailing ideas of our times are left-wing ones: feminism, liberalism, democracy, etc.

If you are getting offended by the word "leftie" then you should ask your doctor if he can prescribe you testosterone pills.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    That's a good thing. You are a loyal to and care about your own people. You also respect the traditions and observances of other people as much as you can without sacrificing your own traditions and culture. That is something I respect.

I don't see it in that. I certainly don't see the First World War as a war that protected our freedom or anything like that. It was a irrational, brutal and dysgenic bloodletting unparalleled in history. The greatest mistake of Western civilisation. That doesn't mean I won't honour the dead that include my own kin.

I know far more left-wingers than right-wingers. Both sides belittle the other's views. It is just that the prevailing ideas of our times are left-wing ones: feminism, liberalism, democracy, etc.

If you are getting offended by the word "leftie" then you should ask your doctor if he can prescribe you testosterone pills.
    I agree with pretty much all of what you're saying.

And that joke was pretty good.
    Kudos.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a poppy on Remembrance Day to honour one of my ancestors who died fighting for the British. He never got the chance to meet the daughter he'd always wanted. He died in some random desert in Egypt. They never recovered his body and his family never got to say goodbye. I know it happened long ago before I was even born but it completely devastated my family and we've all felt it's terrible ripple effect to this day. Most of the women on my mum's side are messed up as a result.

And I was born in the Picardie region in France, so it seems fitting to wear a poppy. But of course I have nothing against those who choose not to wear one. I've just always worn one since I started school in the UK.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.