26.19%
    Biology
    29.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Fully respect other's opinions gal
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Seriously, sociology? I really don't link splitting of cells during meiosis with scratching your forehead over whether a family is stable or not
    yes thank you fellow human being
    Spoiler:
    Show
    haha it's not the content - more the level of challenging. Biology is not a 'thinking' subject - it's more about memorising and knowing what happens - not playing with it/ altering it like in chemistry or questioning it and explaining it like in physics.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology . Only joking.

Personally like to teach biology as I'm interested in living organisms, and see it as infinitely complex and nicely observable.

ReputationRep:
    Every science is important????? Each science has clearly improved our lives??? Why do we have to debate this???? These threads just make me feel down bc I cant do chemistry or physics but I really wanna be like matthew mcgogharjsjfgahay in interstellar but I cant
    The fact that I'll never get to go into space upsets me more than I'd like to admit.

Unless NASA starts taking Liberal Arts students on board in the near future... :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    chemistry utterly useless in the real world if you arent pursing a career related to chemistry but for me my chemistry teacher at gcse and A-level was an actual legend. im probably never going to need to know about molecules and hydrocarbons if im working as a French teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    The fact that I'll never get to go into space upsets me more than I'd like to admit.

Unless NASA starts taking Liberal Arts students on board in the near future... :crossedf:
    Noo for our generation there probs will be hotels and more industries in space. Before you know it you'll be waving goodbye to your daughter Katniss on her first day of school in Mars and you'll have your tears wiped from your face by your alien husband Steve <3
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by llys)
    I think Chemistry is the most fun (at school) but not terribly relevant to real life of most people. There is a case to be made for (Human) Biology, as related to health and disease which is relevant for everyone. But overall, I would go with Physics too, for its conceptual depth, and philosophical and practical applications.
    Apart from the minor detail that practically every man-made material that people interact with in their lives can only exist through Chemistry? :P

ReputationRep:
    Noo for our generation there probs will be hotels and more industries in space. Before you know it you'll be waving goodbye to your daughter Katniss on her first day of school in Mars and you'll have your tears wiped from your face by your alien husband Steve <3
    We can dream :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Apart from the minor detail that practically every man-made material that people interact with in their lives can only exist through Chemistry? :P
    Sure. And when did you last use Chemistry to solve an every-day problem?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by llys)
    Sure. And when did you last use Chemistry to solve an every-day problem?
    A few hours ago, because that's part of what I study

Seriously though, using that logic, none of the sciences are useful to "every-day" life which isn't a huge surprise given that most people aren't scientists. I don't agree with comparing the "importance" of different sciences as if that's something you can quantify in the first place, but the importance of a subject isn't determined by how likely you are to be required to apply its principles yourself. You might not have to understand thermodynamics yourself, but that doesn't mean it's not relevant to your every-day life because all of the energy you use comes from our understanding of thermodynamics. You might not have to understand how synthetic polymers are formed but that doesn't mean it's not relevant to your life since you wouldn't have many clothes otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    if maths were included then it'd be at the top without a second thought

after maths, i would say chemistry. i have not studied it at a-level unlike maths and physics because i hate it, but it addresses both the physical and biological world with such elegance and precision

and then physics, because the most fundamental part of physics (mechanics - both newtonian and quantum) is just maths. and maths is already at the top

biology at the bottom. i don't really like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    hahaha i love it

i agree 100% ugh

except bio isn't really up there with physics lets be honest it's more on like sociology's level
    Spoiler:
    Show
    my opinion you can't kill me
    That's the first time I've heard this on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    That's the first time I've heard this on TSR
    oh lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    oh lol hahaha
    It's usually "Biology is just memorising" on the STEP threads, though I do agree (for A-level).

ReputationRep:
    Astrology

ReputationRep:
    Biology

ReputationRep:
    To those replying 'maths', we are discussing the natural sciences. Maths is a formal science and so isn't particularly useful as an answer.

I suppose the physical sciences are more important than the life sciences in terms of what should be studied at school. More useful, too. I quite enjoyed using principles from chemistry in cooking and starting (camp) fires, etc. Physics was useful in that the more mechanics oriented stuff could be used in practice but these principles could also taken from mechanics modules in maths. Physics' main use to me in school was providing a basis in which to describe and at least partially answer big questions in a secular way. This seems important.

The argument for medicine might be made but even some medical schools require chemistry but not biology at A Level. I don't remember ever using any GCSE+ biology knowledge except in being able to identity and describe processes without really being able to explain them. No real use or interest. Thus, the life sciences seem less important at this level.

Whether we choose chemistry or physics is tricky. Because so much of physics can be done through mathematics, especially in the areas I describe above, I'm inclined to say chemistry is more important than physics as a subject in school, especially when we consider it a gateway into the life sciences at higher levels.

ReputationRep:
    Geology

ReputationRep:
    Biology.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    physics because then i can teach biology and chemistry too because they are just applied physics

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.