Turn on thread page Beta

Hate having such a common name :( watch

ReputationRep:
    I've found Alex to be frustratingly common as well.

There's three other Alexs that work at Sainsbury's with me (one in the same dept.), and one of them even has a surname that's about one vowel away from mine. Makes tannoy announcements pretty difficult

Problem is, I really like the name Alex and don't wanna change it not even just to use my birthname Alexander...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    But I'm only talking about first name struggles
    i think it's better having a common name lol - at least it saves you the embarrassment of them not pronouncing it properly.. i'm sure your name is lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    i think it's better having a common name lol - at least it saves you the embarrassment of them not pronouncing it properly.. i'm sure your name is lovely
    No one ever calls you by your last name though (I mean rarely)
    And no it's not, I actually hate it so much It could be 'worse' I guess. But no, having a common name is sh*t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I've found Alex to be frustratingly common as well.

There's three other Alexs that work at Sainsbury's with me (one in the same dept.), and one of them even has a surname that's about one vowel away from mine. Makes tannoy announcements pretty difficult

Problem is, I really like the name Alex and don't wanna change it not even just to use my birthname Alexander...
    aww, that sucks, but I share my name with like 15 other girls at my school if you feel better
    Alex is a lovely name though.

ReputationRep:
    My birth name is Sarah and I hate it as it is the most overused, generic boring name you can think of and is extremely difficult to go by a nickname. I have found one that have stuck to and introduced a few people by it though, but at school everyone knows me as Sarah which I don't like.
    Start getting people to call you Sarah.exe

Instantly makes you a cool kid

ReputationRep:
    No one ever calls you by your last name though (I mean rarely)
    And no it's not, I actually hate it so much It could be 'worse' I guess. But no, having a common name is sh*t
    LOOL you know like in assemblies/graduations when they call out your name in front of a whole crowd - then they say your full name. you can change it i think when you turn 18

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)

lol, really?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    aww, that sucks, but I share my name with like 15 other girls at my school if you feel better
    Alex is a lovely name though.
    That does sound frustrating...

Interestingly though, I only know two Sarahs - one is a very b****y supervisor at work, and the other was a very nice person in my group at NCS back in the summer of 2014.

I don't know a single Sarah at school so I think you just got unlucky...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    LOOL you know like in assemblies/graduations when they call out your name in front of a whole crowd - then they say your full name. you can change it i think when you turn 18
    aha, okay I understand what you mean now, but you probably aren't the only one with a unpronounceable name

ReputationRep:
    aha, okay I understand what you mean now, but you probably aren't the only one with a unpronounceable name
    lol, i guess not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    That does sound frustrating...

Interestingly though, I only know two Sarahs - one is a very b****y supervisor at work, and the other was a very nice person in my group at NCS back in the summer of 2014.

I don't know a single Sarah at school so I think you just got unlucky...
    ahh, I could say the name to you as I only know one alex, a nice guy I met a few months ago.

ahh, damn it! I am unlucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    lol, really?:cool:
    Yes, especially if you're in possession of dank memes and have great photoshopping skills.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's why I think it's just best to wait until uni so my new friends can call me by my preferred name

Oh, good luck in finding one, I can only think of marge atm lool
    Maybe tell your new friends first and then the old ones? Let me know how it goes please

I was thinking of Margo but thats so ugly Maria maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Maybe tell your new friends first and then the old ones? Let me know how it goes please

Mags
    Or a completely different name if you prefer

ReputationRep:

I've made a few acquaintances and told them my new name, at first it seemed quite awkward because I'm going by a nickname I've never went before, but after a while it feels great to know I'm finally going by a name I actually like.. Telling my new friends to call me by a different name NOW is weird as I am still is school, which means I'd have people calling me two different sets of name and it's complicated. After I'm done with sixth form and I if I still keep in contact with them, then i'll tell then to call me by my new preferred name. Maria is lovely.. I'm going by a name which rhymes with it and I've already had 2 compliments on it so far Go ahead and introduce yourself with Maria and see how it goes?

ReputationRep:
    lol, I guess that's super annoying. Do you like having a common name? I hate mines and I'm thinking of changing it..
    I'm too used to it to change it now anyway if I wanted to, I'd change it to Eden or Sierra

Besides, I've already changed my surname and added a middle name by Deed Poll, it'd be too much hassle to get it done again :P

ReputationRep:
    I have kinda found a nickname that I have introduced a few people by. But my name can't even be really made into a nickname which I hate so much! ugh
    It can be made into nicknames, weird ones though.

ReputationRep:
    I've made a few acquaintances and told them my new name, at first it seemed quite awkward because I'm going by a nickname I've never went before, but after a while it feels great to know I'm finally going by a name I actually like.. Telling my new friends to call me by a different name NOW is weird as I am still is school, which means I'd have people calling me two different sets of name and it's complicated. After I'm done with sixth form and I if I still keep in contact with them, then i'll tell then to call me by my new preferred name. Maria is lovely.. I'm going by a name which rhymes with it and I've already had 2 compliments on it so far Go ahead and introduce yourself with Maria and see how it goes?
    Yeah, if you're not going to keep in contact no need IMO I'm moving to London next month so I will, going to be hard explaining to home friends tho :'(

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you're not going to keep in contact no need IMO I'm moving to London next month so I will, going to be hard explaining to home friends tho :'(
    Where are you moving to in London? I currently live there Ahh, yeah that's the same for me. If they are your really close friends, then you should tell them. Or if that is difficult for you then let them just call you by your old name. When you go to London just start using your new name, it would be a fresh and brand new start

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.