Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you want to stay/leave the EU? watch

ReputationRep:
    Leave

- Its undemocratic, people we do not elect should not dictate our laws
    - Its a complete failure
    - Its costs us billions of pounds
    - We need control of who comes here and also negatively effects people not in the EU who do want to come here. Unskilled, uncontrolled mass immigration is bad for everyone but the wealthy

Just the first point is more than enough on principle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    The part on immigration doesn't particularly bother me as so far the pros outweigh the cons exponentially, the part on no skills or education are mostly temporary only, just a matter of time before they caught up.

Either way many of those from poorer EU countries make for better workers than your dole-loving chavs.
    Statistics don't agree with your last part. Stats show they're just as likely to be dole dossers now too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    You must be mad. Lots of undesirable migration from the EU! Some very poor countries, no skills, no education.
    Statistics sadly disprove this point: very much contrary to public opinion, the studies show that it's UK nationals - and not EU immigrants - which are unskilled and uneducated. A November 2013 study by the Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM) found that whilst only 24% of the British workforce has a university degree, 25% of nationals from Eastern Europe and 62% of nations from Western Europe have one.

Statistics from the Higher Education Statistics Agency also show that EU nationals also make up 20% of the UK's academic community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Southwestern)
    Statistics sadly disprove this point: very much contrary to public opinion, the studies show that it's UK nationals - and not EU immigrants - which are unskilled and uneducated. A November 2013 study by the Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM) found that whilst only 24% of the British workforce has a university degree, 25% of nationals from Eastern Europe and 62% of nations from Western Europe have one.

Statistics from the Higher Education Statistics Agency also show that EU nationals also make up 20% of the UK's academic community.
    Yep i already know this. But it's widely known a lot of these "universities" they graduate from are extremely poor. A lot of poor eastern europeans with "degrees" from these institutions still work manual labour jobs. You need a "degree" from these places just to apply for foundation degrees at UK universities lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Yep i already know this. But it's widely known a lot of these "universities" they graduate from are extremely poor. A lot of poor eastern europeans with "degrees" from these institutions still work manual labour jobs. You need a "degree" from these places just to apply for foundation degrees at UK universities lol.
    And yet the average EU immigrant earns £2,035 more per year than the average UK national.

The arguments against EU immigration, in my view, don't stack up.

ReputationRep:
    Already a thread here..

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post60291143

So i'll just copy and paste my opinion..

Undecided however renegotiation's are unlikely to address any of my issues.

I support a European federation.. but probably not with Britain in it. The problem i have is that Farage is both wrong and right.. he's wrong that we should rush out now.. but he's right that in hindsight if this were 1973 i would not have voted to join. Not only did we give up our brethren in the Anglosphere (hell, at one point Brits and Australians were joint citizens) but we will never be part of a European Federation. They are too unwilling on global affairs, too left leaning economically and move at a snails pace. The structure is a half measure entirely due to the vested interests of its architects. Germany wants more power but none of the cost and France craps itself at the thought of a European parliament under effective German control. Despite this though, the governments want ever closer integration but without what is necessary for it to function optimum. The democratic issues are due to the half measures, really you need the parliament to be sovereign and command the commission and council. Right now it's upside down.

There are plenty of good and bad points to EU membership. I've copied my post from another thread..

What i will say is that i'm undecided with a default of 'In' and that there are credible advantages and disadvantages to me..

Advantages..

More power when we speak as one in the world (granted getting 29 members to agree is difficult).
    Jobs and investment from global business wanting a European base - London regarded as the Financial capital of Europe
    Free movement of labour (at least 300 million of which is from rich countries that we should want it with, some question of whether it's a good idea with eastern Europe)
    ~15% of MEP's give us a relatively large say, if the Tories choose to leave the governing EPP that's their fault
    Carrot of EU membership has given countries an incentive to adopt western values and open market economies
    Prevents Russian expansion (Crimea and a small eastern region may go to Russia but the west has won the bulk of Ukraine)
    Protects workers rights (even i as a Tory don't entirely trust some of the talk about abolition of regulation, some of it screams of business over employee)

Disadvantages..

Common agricultural policy - The EU is a subsidy junky
    Net contribution
    Common Fisheries Policy - Our fish stocks in recent decades have been decimated and some countries don't even have coasts
    EU is beaurocratic and slow full of vested interests
    The EU has expanded into poor countries too quickly (granted it's hard to prevent Russian influence expanding if you don't).
    The EU is broadly too pacifist
    The EU becoming ever more federal will likely force us to eventually go all in or all out.

Effects of coming out..

Probable fiscal benefits due to abolition of subsidies and part of our contribution back
    Probably able to go out and get trade treaties quicker
    Potential for good regulation to be abolished by domestic governments
    Potential for immigration to be aggressively reduced (bad if you ask me)
    Lower jobs and investment as regulation diverges from business wanting a European base (more a case of lost future investment than business fleeing but potentially more freedom for British business wanting to export globally)
    Potential for closer relationships with our brethren in the Anglosphere

I certainly think the EU should exist regardless of whether we are part of it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.