Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you prefer compliment on your looks or personality? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you prefer compliments on looks or personality?
    Looks
    43.40%
    Personality
    56.60%

• Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    compliments on my personality would be nice but I don't talk to many people for them to compliment it lololol

I do get random aesthetic compliments sometimes which can be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    we need a poll!
    probably personality but i have never had ones on my looks, the ones i have had are the token ones people give when you compliment them
    i thought you were mighty fine..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Personality, because I don't control my looks for the most part, and so it wouldn't even be a compliment to me, it would be to whatever the hell designed me
    you don't control your personality either, you know?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    Personality, probably, though I wouldn't say no to any compliment

{apart from, "yeah you're kinda clever" ~ there's more to a personality than that}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Limp Handshake)
    you don't control your personality either, you know?
    but you can control your behaviour which often gets lumped together with personality
    like I can choose how to behave with people, whether i'm a kind person, or a good listener etc.

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

I feel like complimenting someone's looks is always somewhat of an awkward thing to do, so when people do it, it means they really mean it while complimenting someone's personality is easy by just saying oh you're such a nice person for example, which I don't find to be all that convincing. So yeah judging by that and my experience, I'd say I definitely have enjoyed it more when people have complimented my looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Which one?
    My looks because although I know I am beautiful it's nice hearing it from other because personality is often complemented when looks can't be sad fact but is true normally

ReputationRep:
    looks because I'm vain and my self esteem is based on people finding me attractive

ReputationRep:
    Looks. I am happy making my own personality my own creation, trusting my judgement. Don't care about people's views much. Think I got it right. However with looks, I can't say I have it right, I have no idea what they are, so other's opinion,s like it or not, are somewhat relevant. I think I have ugly traits so when people say I am handsome it is very pleasing.

ReputationRep:
    Looks, does that make me shallow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Looks, does that make me shallow?
    No, I don't think it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    looks because I'm vain and my self esteem is based on people finding me attractive
    Fair enough, but I don't think it's safe to base all your self worth on your looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akaranzo)
    Looks.

I feel like complimenting someone's looks is always somewhat of an awkward thing to do, so when people do it, it means they really mean it while complimenting someone's personality is easy by just saying oh you're such a nice person for example, which I don't find to be all that convincing. So yeah judging by that and my experience, I'd say I definitely have enjoyed it more when people have complimented my looks.
    I think it depends tbh. I think that if someone you are not close to e.g an acquaintance, or a stranger, you tend to accept the compliment more than if a close friend or a family member complimented your looks as you know they are less likely to be lying to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't get any for neither, so...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I don't think it's safe to base all your self worth on your looks.
    I'm working on it :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends tbh. I think that if someone you are not close to e.g an acquaintance, or a stranger, you tend to accept the compliment more than if a close friend or a family member complimented your looks as you know they are less likely to be lying to you.
    It definitely depends yeah, I mean your best friend or parents are always gonna tell you that you look good but yeah I was talking more about compliments from people not so close to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Looks. I am happy making my own personality my own creation, trusting my judgement. Don't care about people's views much. Think I got it right. However with looks, I can't say I have it right, I have no idea what they are, so other's opinion,s like it or not, are somewhat relevant. I think I have ugly traits so when people say I am handsome it is very pleasing.
    sounds like you don't care about your personality much? :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    I'm working on it :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I can understand why you'd base it on your looks alone, I used to do it to... till I released there is more to me than my looks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akaranzo)
    It definitely depends yeah, I mean your best friend or parents are always gonna tell you that you look good but yeah I was talking more about compliments from people not so close to you.
    yeah defo, I prefer compliments on my looks from people i'm not close too as it's least expected.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.