Turn on thread page Beta

Have no idea what to do with my life? 25yo graduate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    I was in a very similar position until...today. Graduated two years ago with a biological sciences degree but kept getting rejected from basic lab tech jobs, had a few interviews, always someone with job experience got it (according to feedback). However I just kept positive, kept trying, something will turn up etc. Suddenly had a glut of opportunities recently, had 3 interviews last 3 weeks, one ****** me around, other got through to second round but got rejected, other one just had job offer today.
    I graduated in 2014 with physics and have had the exact same experience. I'm now focusing on lab tech roles as the degree tends to be a desired trait as apposed to being a bare minimum with most graduate jobs (which I have largely given up applying for). Still not having any luck though, I get myself in situations where employers think because I have a physics degree they think I will be heading off to NASA any moment... But NASA wont hire me! FFS. I just want a job :'(

I either don;t have enough expericne or employers don't want to employ a physics graduate, even if it is a lab tech role. I have actual experience in a warehouse job but I still have the same overqualified problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I graduated in 2014 with physics and have had the exact same experience. I'm now focusing on lab tech roles as the degree tends to be a desired trait as apposed to being a bare minimum with most graduate jobs (which I have largely given up applying for). Still not having any luck though, I get myself in situations where employers think because I have a physics degree they think I will be heading off to NASA any moment... But NASA wont hire me! FFS. I just want a job :'(

I either don;t have enough expericne or employers don't want to employ a physics graduate, even if it is a lab tech role. I have actual experience in a warehouse job but I still have the same overqualified problem.
    Ditto. People seem to be like 'oh but you have a degree you'd get employed by some top-brass design firm with that', but the firms don't want me, because of my lack of professional experience. So I apply for other roles (menial work), and I'm up at the same issue. So, the design first won't hire me, and nor with those employers where I actually have relevant experience.

I feel your pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Hi,

I've been looking for internships and graduate schemes. Design related ones are like 'diamonds in the rough' to find, and even when I try to broaden the horizon and look for technological/and or marketing grad schemes the requirements are rather specific.

For example, some stipulate that I would need a driving license and that I need to be flexible to travel. I am primarily looking for a job/intern/or place on a grad scheme that is steady and located in Manchester.

Another thing, this is going to sound self-defeatist and a bit backward, but a lot of such schemes require a firm 'numerical' grasp or good level of Math ability, and I don't feel confident in my ability.

I have a very literate mind, and my command of English is generally very good. I can't say the same for Maths. Even my GCSE grade for Maths was diabolical. Therefore, I generally discount myself on these grounds.

Other than the Maths thingy, and the travel demands, I'm good to go. I have a creative mind, insight, willingness to learn, technical ability, a 2:1 classification.

Don't get me wrong, I still look, but as soon as I see the phrases 'must be numerical', 'you'll be working with data/must be good with excel', 'must have a firm grasp with Maths' I kind of recoil and get a bit down. Always had a poor academic record for Mathematics.

As for you suggestion to do a Masters, I have looked into this. I'd love to do one in a field more practicable in terms of making me more employable, however, I just cannot afford to do it.

I've looked into the Open University, but the amount of subjects at Postgrad level is limited. I don't have the funds to do an MBA or anything like that. One avenue I'm interested in is Counselling. The Foundation Degree may be doable (paying in installments), but I've heard it takes years and years to retrain as a Therapist.

I am a very liberal and people-centred person; so anything geared towards helping people, humanitarian, that is creative, would suit me.

Thanks for your response
    If u dont even have a c grade in gcse Maths no one is going to hire you, except public service call centre jobs. You say u r not numerate but marketing/technological jobs these days require you to often deal with large sets of data. Maybe retake gcse Maths first? You need to atleast be confident with excel aswell no one will hire you. Looknin to teaching yourself (youtube) excel and maybe get certified? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Ditto. People seem to be like 'oh but you have a degree you'd get employed by some top-brass design firm with that', but the firms don't want me, because of my lack of professional experience. So I apply for other roles (menial work), and I'm up at the same issue. So, the design first won't hire me, and nor with those employers where I actually have relevant experience.

I feel your pain.
    Can you volunteer for charities or local businesses and build a portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    This is just one of those university problems, all i can say is stay calm and just keep applying, go to job centre ask them to sort something out for you bro, contact your university. good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry to hear of your situation and you're not alone. Your situation is a bit chicken and egg - employers want to see a good portfolio and work experience, but how do you get those? One suggestion is to do some voluntary work, maybe for charities. If you have a few hours each week, you could approach them offering your skills in return for feedback and the ability to use the work in your portfolio. You will be building your portfolio but also doing some good - plus future employers love the fact that you have shown you can get off your arse and make things happen. Sadly you have to stand out!

Your other option is to go self-employed and there are grants and help available to do this, but again, potential clients will want to see some of the work you have been doing, so the charity route is still valid! You could also call up some smaller companies and offer to do some work or them free of charge. A quick trawl of Yell.com will show design companies in your area; or you could call smaller businesses directly. You could design a whizzy card that you mail to the marketing director which could lead them to your website - I assume you have a website? Develop a network, look for a mentoring scheme, ask people to help you and always thank people for any help they give, including your partner and friends.

The University should have massive resources to help you; the JobCentre can advise of free training in setting up a business - and you can Google all kinds of help.

You may know this already but I have huge experience of this - STOP drinking!!!! Not only is it costing you money that you need to develop your website/buy business books, get to interviews, work etc., but it is a massive cause of depression and can really mess with your mental health. It doesn't take long for drink to really get a grip and then you will be unemployable because you will smell of booze (which is becoming more socially unacceptable now), you will find it difficult to meet deadlines and your work will be sloppy. Plus your partner will leave you if they have any sense...no-one wants an alcoholic as a partner, trust me.

You need to approach this like a military style operation, get up and shower each day - dress in fresh clothes, research, plan, do something, tweak your plan and whatever happens don't give up. Unless of course you aren't really passionate about this, in which case, find something else to do. You are likely to be working into your 70's so its important that you love what you do at least 80% of the time.

Good luck!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.