Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B880 - NHS Operation Funding Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    This would ban abortion, which is a serious infringement on women's rights, so nay.
    I don't believe abortion is intended to be affected by this bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    If this bill had been enacted in real life, I expect I would have fewer friends because a number of mine would be dead. There's every chance that one day, I'd be among them. That should tell you everything you need to know about why a service is "essential". Nay.
    Dramatism?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Agree with some bits, don't with some....

Abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Well, perhaps they should adopt orphans, then… We don't need that many new people any more and the demand will be decreasing with robotisation. The quality of life is improving, fewer people are dying from diseases and hard labour, they stay productive longer and die older, former high risk jobs are being done much more safely, etc. The investments into IVF could be put to a much better use.
    There'll always be the demand for labour, robots need building and maintaining, the service industry won't ever be fully robotised, there'll be a demand for artists, novelists, actors, poets, we'll need people at the end of the day. As much as I believe that people should adopt (it's what I'll be doing if ever I want children) I don't believe that we should force parents to have them if they don't want them, as a result, if a couple are infertile and want a child of their own and can offer that child a decent quality of life, then the rest of society can help them out.

(Original post by Andy98)
    Indeed - but what of those born infertile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    May I point out to those who argue for IVF, we have a surplus of adoptable stock and any genes causing infertility will not be passed on.
    I have answered this point previously, though I do not expect you to agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    There'll always be the demand for labour, robots need building and maintaining, the service industry won't ever be fully robotised, there'll be a demand for artists, novelists, actors, poets, we'll need people at the end of the day. As much as I believe that people should adopt (it's what I'll be doing if ever I want children) I don't believe that we should force parents to have them if they don't want them, as a result, if a couple are infertile and want a child of their own and can offer that child a decent quality of life, then the rest of society can help them out.
    We're not forcing anyone; they can pay of it themselves. I refuse to do this and I'll be doing as much creative accounting as I can to ‘steal’ the money back.

ReputationRep:
    Dramatism?
    No Rakas. Not dramatism. 48% of young transgender people attempting suicide. Forty. Eight. Percent. It's hard enough without being denied medical treatment recognised as a necessity, trust me on that one.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    ???

So if some men are short and have small dicks, we should pay for their enlargement surgeries because they were ‘unlucky’? Having a child isn't a basic human right. Why should they? Arguments rather than opinions would be splendid.
    The size of your penis doesn't affect your ability to have a child, so don't worry
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    May I point out to those who argue for IVF, we have a surplus of adoptable stock and any genes causing infertility will not be passed on.
    You really do have a knack of choosing the wrong words - it makes it sound like you'd go down to the livestock market and take part in some sort of auction.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We're not forcing anyone; they can pay of it themselves. I refuse to do this and I'll be doing as much creative accounting as I can to ‘steal’ the money back.
    As I said, the children that are born will be tax payers, there's every chance that the money will be paid back. The infertile parents also paid into the NHS, and should be able to rely on its services when they need them.

ReputationRep:
    Why should we pay for someone else's sex change? Why that and not all plastic surgeries to remove defects that make people severely unhappy with themselves, for example?
    Why not all plastic surgeries to remove defects that make people severely unhappy with themselves? The NHS' job is to cure health problems. If someone is genuinely severely depressed to the extent that they are mentally ill because of the shape of their nose for example, that comes under the NHS' remit, and if therapy hasn't worked, the NHS should do the plastic surgery.

I don't believe abortion is intended to be affected by this bill.
    It may not have been intended to be affected, but as it is in the majority of cases a voluntary, non-essential, non-urgent operation, it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    You really do have a knack of choosing the wrong words - it makes it sound like you'd go down to the livestock market and take part in some sort of auction.
    It is so very Tory to see people as nothing more than another product.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    The size of your penis doesn't affect your ability to have a child, so don't worry
    You'd know

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

I've learnt to just fuzz it out.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    You'd know

I've learnt to just fuzz it out.
    And how would you know, that I'd know?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You just keep telling yourself that.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're speaking from personal experience but you're too young for that so I'm confused.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I take it you're speaking from personal experience but you're too young for that so I'm confused.
    Scientifically speaking, the size of a male's penis doesn't make them any more or less fertile.

Aye, I won't be having kids for a good few years yet
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All members of society should be given the opportunity to become parents should they desire to be.
    Did we just abolish adoption without me realising?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    It is so very Tory to see people as nothing more than another product.
    People aren't?

ReputationRep:
    Scientifically speaking, the size of a male's penis doesn't make them any more or less fertile.

Aye, I won't be having kids for a good few years yet
    Well, it does. Short dicks can't reach in far enough so the probability of successful insemination decreases.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.