Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rae666)
    Yeah I did! Yeah I want to join the netball society, I'm just worried I'll have no one for freshers 😩 Do you have the studio flat too?
    I went for the studio too, I'm expecting an offer any time soon cause I just got my confirmation from UCAS... I'm not sure whether it was a good idea cause reading these I'm worried I'll have like no friends, too 😖 I'm a fairly shy person so that doesn't help...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just finished first year in Aber. I would definitely recommend on getting an en-suite room as opposed to a studio flat if you're trying to make friends. Or, if you're adamant on staying in a studio, then I insist you join societies to give yourself something to do in the evenings.

I recommend joining a society regardless because it makes everything 100x better. Making friends, activities for the evenings, and people to go out with and share a common ground with.

If you're the type of person that's shy then being in a communal flat will definitely bring you out of your shell! It definitely helped some of my friends who were formerly very shy

Fferm Penglais is like a small village of blocks. Theres 22 Blocks, with I think about 9 flats in each one (3 on each floor). Normally 6-8 people per flat. I didn't live in FP personally but I had quite a few friends living there so I was there most nights a week. Most flats in uni really if any only have 1 messy person. Most people pull together and clean. We have inspections several times a year, and you get charged from your deposit if you fail an inspection twice. This rarely happens as nobody wants to be charged. If you really do have messy flatmates, you can tell the accommodation office and they'll sort it.

Also, if you find you don't get along with your flatmates, it is really really easy to switch flats. You can even change type of accommodation altogether, so if you regret not going to a studio they'll happily move you! (or vice versa). Also the options to move to the other accommodations e.g. PJM, Trefloyne, Rosser, Penbryn is also easily done.

The rooms are gorgeous, and really spacious. Double beds! Also the room has plenty of storage, and the rooms are bigger than the average non-fferm penglais room. The beauty of the blocks is that they were only built very recently and are really modern. The studios haven't been available yet so if you get one you know you're the first person in that room, ever. (Which is why I cant comment on them).

The communal kitchen has a flat screen tv mounted onto the wall. Count yourselves lucky, the other accommodations don't have this.

The site is at the top of the hill, about a 7 minute walk from lectures on the Penglais campus. Fferm Penglais was built on farmland, and theres a nice river that runs between the blocks 6/7 and the higher blocks of 21,22,19 and 20. (17 and 18 are the studio blocks IIRC).

I've tried to think of everything here, but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Hope this helps!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.