Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    Go with why you really do want to do medicine. Although it may be cliché, at least you're being honest, and the panel can tell whether you are just making something up or being genuine. Yes, it's great to be original and have a unique answer, but a passionate and honest answer outweighs any (according to my mentor)!

If it's nothing like the cliché answer (and not entirely true), the panel are more likely to catch you out and ask nasty questions!
    I just feel like they are expecting you to have many reasons for wanting to go into the profession when I only have three at most. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    I just feel like they are expecting you to have many reasons for wanting to go into the profession when I only have three at most. *shrugs*
    They are not expecting you to give them an exhaustive list at interview! If you only have three solid points, then just expand on your reasonings and go into more depth when explaining them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine2016app)
    Hey, i applied to Bristol, UEA, Hull/York and QUB but haven't heard anything. Got an offer for biomed in Southampton though.
    I also applied to Bristol and UEA! And I got an offer for biomed in Southampton too! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    They are not expecting you to give them an exhaustive list at interview! If you only have three solid points, then just expand on your reasonings and go into more depth when explaining them...
    Yeah, that makes sense! My teacher gave me a mini mock interview and after I finished answering the question she just stared at me obviously expecting more and I just looked at her like 'that's all I have'

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that makes sense! My teacher gave me a mini mock interview and after I finished answering the question she just stared at me obviously expecting more and I just looked at her like 'that's all I have'
    Haha, that's alright, I'm not great at answering that question either. I was basically told to "shut up" in my mock - I just blabbed a load of rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, that's alright, I'm not great at answering that question either. I was basically told to "shut up" in my mock - I just blabbed a load of rubbish!
    ha, it didn't help that my mum was literally sitting next to me, so I was awkwardly just sitting there like 'can we not do this here' cause she kinda randomly sprung it up on me on some teacher consultation thing!

ReputationRep:
    ha, it didn't help that my mum was literally sitting next to me, so I was awkwardly just sitting there like 'can we not do this here' cause she kinda randomly sprung it up on me on some teacher consultation thing!
    Omg! I would be the same! I would hate for any of my parents to do an interview with me!

Well good luck anyway!! I'm sure you'll be fab!

ReputationRep:
    Omg! I would be the same! I would hate for any of my parents to do an interview with me!

Well good luck anyway!! I'm sure you'll be fab!
    Thank you I'm having a mock tommorrow so 'm just brushing up on anything that might come up as my mind tends to go blank during those things

ReputationRep:
    Guys, my school aren't supportive with interview preperation ( not really supportive for anything !), would you consider paying for a course? Or just do the prep myself? I feel like I would hesitate and stutter a lot so not sure on what to do Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curious_M)
    Any good interview courses somebody can recommend? When is the good time to take them? Do they do one to one mock interviews?

Thanks very much
    acemedicine is one

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are mentioning MMI. Can someone explain what MMI is?

I applied to Imperial, Oxford, Barts and Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs11)

MMI's are not like traditional interviews.
    Rather, you have stations (usually 8) and each station has a different interviewer.
    Each station can test you on different things such as ethical dilemmas, medicine in the news or teamwork skills. It literally could be anything.
    You have a certain amount of time in each of the cubicles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs11)

MMI stands for 'Multiple Mini Interview'. For MMIs you will have various stations assessing different things. With MMI there's usually some sort of role play, ethical discussions, as well as your basic questions.

Hope this helps! 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    MMI's are not like traditional interviews.
    Rather, you have stations (usually 8) and each station has a different interviewer.
    Each station can test you on different things such as ethical dilemmas, medicine in the news or teamwork skills. It literally could be anything.
    You have a certain amount of time in each of the cubicles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see. Thanks for updating me! Do you know how many of my uni's are MMI?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs11)
    I see. Thanks for updating me! Do you know how many of my uni's are MMI?
    Barts is MMI
    I'm not sure about Cardiff
    You can look on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring_)
    Guys, my school aren't supportive with interview preperation ( not really supportive for anything !), would you consider paying for a course? Or just do the prep myself? I feel like I would hesitate and stutter a lot so not sure on what to do Thanks!
    Tbh, if I was you, I would consider it, I know many people on here are opposed to it but I don't understand why, after all, the interview is literally the door you have to open (haha weird analogy there) and it'd suck if you don't get a place just because you didn't perform as well as you could have during the interview.

Also, I would recommend going to one with a smaller class size so it's more of a class rather than lecture based teaching.

I'm going to one tommorrow so if I learn anything useful I'll mention it

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if I was you, I would consider it, I know many people on here are opposed to it but I don't understand why, after all, the interview is literally the door you have to open (haha weird analogy there) and it'd suck if you don't get a place just because you didn't perform as well as you could have during the interview.

Also, I would recommend going to one with a smaller class size so it's more of a class rather than lecture based teaching.

I'm going to one tommorrow so if I learn anything useful I'll mention it
    That's why I'm a bit hesitant, as so many peope question the need to go on a course? Which one are you going to sorry? and thanks! If you could just tell me if you found it helpful that would be so reassuring before I book

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'm a bit hesitant, as so many peope question the need to go on a course? Which one are you going to sorry? and thanks! If you could just tell me if you found it helpful that would be so reassuring before I book
    Yeah sure, I'm going to this one: http://themsag.com/medical-school-in...ew-course.html

I couldn't seem to find any for a decent price and the ones which were a tad cheaper had like 50 students attending and I didn't want to do that as I would probably doze off and not learn anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Barts is MMI
    I'm not sure about Cardiff
    You can look on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont think Barts is MMI! They have a traditional panel interview with about two interviewers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    I went on a course when I applied and found it a complete waste of time. Do you know any Medical Students/Doctors who can help you or can you not arrange some time with your teachers for mock interviews? I'd also strongly advise getting this book as it has pretty much all you need: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interviews-Q.../dp/1905812051

Don't worry too much about stuttering. In all my interviews, I stuttered a lot out of nerves but they seemed to be fine with it - they expect you to be nervous.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.