Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B877 - Legal Tender Bill 2015 (Second Reading) watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    What is this farcical idea. Even if it was legal, it's still pointless and ultimately I find whoever tries to bring about these local currencies to be petty, with nothing better to do except punch above their weight. Only the Bank of England should print currency, but I don't mind Scotland and NI printing their own as it is much more reasonable for them to do so.
    It's Aph, the ultimate europhile...
    Remember that his first thing was to form and join the USE and form a european army.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's Aph, the ultimate europhile...
    Remember that his first thing was to form and join the USE and form a european army.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've come to expect nothing less, but I still find it hard to restrain my anger at certain proposals .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well if I live in Scotland and only have Scottish notes a person has the right to refuse the notes and make me exchange them for English ones which is stupid. Also the Gibraltar and Falkland pounds although pegged with GBP aren't recognised in the uk when they are the same currency. It's stupid.
    That's not actually true. If you live in Scotland and only have Scottish notes a business has the right to refuse those notes if you aren't in Scotland, but most will because it's still sterling currency. I regularly come to London with Ulster Bank and Bank of Ireland sterling notes - there's always a bit of confusion at first but they always figure out its sterling without my help and I've never been refused payment with the notes.

So basically, regional (Scotland, Welsh, Irish) notes are legal tender, but outside of their region they can be refused as legitimate payment.

But I'm still confused as to how this bill changes legislation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    That's not actually true. If you live in Scotland and only have Scottish notes a business has the right to refuse those notes if you aren't in Scotland, but most will because it's still sterling currency. I regularly come to London with Ulster Bank and Bank of Ireland sterling notes - there's always a bit of confusion at first but they always figure out its sterling without my help and I've never been refused payment with the notes.

So basically, regional (Scotland, Welsh, Irish) notes are legal tender, but outside of their region they can be refused as legitimate payment.

Btw has anyone seen that Ulster Bank is the only one to print a £100 note?

Also have to include the Bank of Ireland notes cos they're rly interesting compared to the English ones I'll admit
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well if I live in Scotland and only have Scottish notes a person has the right to refuse the notes and make me exchange them for English ones which is stupid. Also the Gibraltar and Falkland pounds although pegged with GBP aren't recognised in the uk when they are the same currency. It's stupid.
    English notes aren't legal tender in Scotland either. Once again, legal currency =/= legal tender. The definition relates to debt repayment, not a medium of exchange.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

So basically, regional (Scotland, Welsh, Irish) notes are legal tender, but outside of their region they can be refused as legitimate payment, so it de facto is in Scotland.

Even what you said isn't quite true, there are no notes that are legal tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland, but in Scotland a 'reasonable' offer to settle debts must be accepted

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I've never had a bank of ireland note accepted in Ireland, I always have to get them exchanged. Elsewhere though (up north), any old gaff will accept them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I've never had a bank of ireland note accepted in Ireland, I always have to get them exchanged. Elsewhere though (up north), any old gaff will accept them.
    Might depend on what area you're in. Catholic areas will take any notes and give change in any: Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, or Bank of England, but unionist and loyalist areas will tend to refuse Bank of Ireland and sometimes Ulster Bank notes and take English notes, and give change in those only.

All to do with politics.

Although if you're talking about the Republic that's clear because they're Euro only.
    Although the border towns will take euros and sterling.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Might depend on what area you're in. Catholic areas will take any notes and give change in any: Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, or Bank of England, but unionist and loyalist areas will tend to refuse Bank of Ireland and sometimes Ulster Bank notes and take English notes, and give change in those only.

All to do with politics.

Although if you're talking about the Republic that's clear because they're Euro only.
    Although the border towns will take euros and sterling.
    Hahaha, major typo there, I meant to say that they never accept my bank of ireland notes in London
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Still waiting on you saying what the changes for the second reading are; will almost certainly be a nay regardless, but it allows better [constructive] criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you not read? The euro part has been dropped and it just gives recognition to all versions of pound sterling as opposed to just the English one.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The Financier)
    English notes aren't legal tender in Scotland either. Once again, legal currency =/= legal tender. The definition relates to debt repayment, not a medium of exchange.
    I know. Scotland has no legal tender. It is both, by being legal tender you cannot refuse the currency, I know what the definitions are and I fail to see how making all notes on pound sterling legal tender and not just English ones is a bad thing.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It's improved, but I'm still not entirely sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Its alot better than the original Bill but it is still a nay

ReputationRep:
    I welcome ending the refusal to accept Scottish notes south of Hadrian's Wall, which happens far too often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You misunderstand what legal tender is.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by United1892)
    You misunderstand what legal tender is.
    I don't. But to humour you please explain where you think my misunderstanding is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't. But to humour you please explain where you think my misunderstanding is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If a court orders someone to pay someone a certain amount, the person who recieves it is only under obligation to accept it if it is in legal tender.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    I know. Scotland has no legal tender. It is both, by being legal tender you cannot refuse the currency, I know what the definitions are and I fail to see how making all notes on pound sterling legal tender and not just English ones is a bad thing.
    I'm getting nowhere with this...

Moreover, I've asked what the point is and you've failed to answer that, other than "its stupid" or that it doesn't seem to be a "bad thing".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I welcome ending the refusal to accept Scottish notes south of Hadrian's Wall, which happens far too often.
    This wouldn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.