Turn on thread page Beta

would you ever date someone you're not physically attracted to? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: would you date someone you are not physically attracted to?
    yes
    28.57%
    no
    71.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    LOOL that would be so funny and awkward
    but i do understand you mean, i'd be upset if my partner thought i was ugly with a great personality.
    I'd be incredibly upset tbh, and would leave them immediately. I mean, better to be honest about that from the get go, no point dating someone you're not attracted to. Why would you anyway? Just to say you're not shallow and somehow doing them a favour cause you think they're ugly but you 'looked past it'? **** that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Exactly! You wanna feel as though your partner was very physically attracted to you from the offset haha. All this 'I'll give them a chance anyway' stuff just makes the person on the receiving end feel like a charity case really. :/
    :giggle::giggle: you're really funny.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be incredibly upset tbh, and would leave them immediately. I mean, better to be honest about that from the get go, no point dating someone you're not attracted to. Why would you anyway? Just to say you're not shallow and somehow doing them a favour cause you think they're ugly but you 'looked past it'? **** that.
    yeah I agree, better to just keep them as a good friend.

ReputationRep:
    neither have i,
    you can still answer it though.

ReputationRep:
    This is what is going on in my life atm XD There's this guy who likes me and I used to like him for 3 years but I never knew why. I stopped and it has been a year since I did like him and now I like him. I'm actually very confused as to why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    :giggle::giggle: you're really funny.
    Aww, well thank you! I wasn't going the comedic route there but yeah

And yeah it's better to keep them as a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! I started liking this guy, who for some people may not be the handsomest person, because he was so sweet and flirty (hugs, compliments & all that jazz). But that to me IS attractive, and I suuper liked him. Like, as long as he goes out of his way to show he cares about me and that he likes me then I don't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would, I've done it before and they were great while they lasted.

If their personality is amazing and we click then I can't even ask for much more. Personality means more to me than looks.

There's women that people would literally die for, looks are definitely not everything..but saying that I don't want to throw up in my mouth every time I see someone.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, because attraction is formed primarily as a result of physical attractiveness, unless you know the person already and know their personality very well. Like in clubs it's unlikely you'll approach someone you're not physically attracted to, you feel???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    Probably not, because attraction is formed primarily as a result of physical attractiveness, unless you know the person already and know their personality very well. Like in clubs it's unlikely you'll approach someone you're not physically attracted to, you feel???
    Yep, still can't rep you even though I want to. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, still can't rep you even though I want to. :lol:
    hey it's the thought that counts :laugh: :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    There has to be some physical attraction, even if it's a little bit. But then attraction can be in different forms, someone's mannerisms, the way their eyes light up when they smile etc. Once you like someone's personality, they seem 10x better to you anyways. So let's say someone wasn't attractive or even moderately attractive but was average/slightly below average, I'd be willing to give it a go, yeah.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp1828)
    This is what is going on in my life atm XD There's this guy who likes me and I used to like him for 3 years but I never knew why. I stopped and it has been a year since I did like him and now I like him. I'm actually very confused as to why
    Makes sense

ReputationRep:
    No as I have to physically like them to then find out the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowKiwi)
    Yeh cos people get more attractive the more I get to know them thru their behaviour and personality.
    This

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the more I appreciate somebody's personality, the more I find them attractive, so obviously, I would find them attractive after a while.
    But, if I didn't, then I'd just have to explain it to them and break it off. You just can't be stuck in a relationship with someone if you don't find them attractive at all.. :/

ReputationRep:
    na physical attraction is part of general attraction and id say at first attraction is like 60/40 in favour of physical traits but as a relationship develops it gets to 0/100 in favour of personality traits
    however id have to find the girl physically attractive to date her in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    Makes sense
    Does it really? Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Ugly people do it all the time. You know when you see two fat people with eachother. They know they're both ugly as **** but they have no other options.

ReputationRep:
    No... I don't know how that could happen. You have friends solely because of their personality - physical attraction is what tells you it is something more in the first place (so it seems, anyway).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.