Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I'm 17 and my parents won't allow me to get a job.
    So out of interest I have three questions
    1. Do you think at 17, a person should be able to choose whether to persue a part time job as well as college?
    2. What age were you at when you got your first job?
    3. What was your first job?
    1. Hell yh
    2. Haven't got one yet.
    3. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ReputationRep:
    19 -- part time in summer after first year of uni.

I think your parents probably want you to focus on your education, OP, which is probably the better option in the long run.

How much is it that you want to work? There's a difference between a few hours at the weekends and every night.

ReputationRep:
    I got my 1 week afert my 17. Working as a waiter. On a zero hour contract. My sister left school then walked in to were in work and got s job. If your parents can afford to supper why get a job. But if they will help you why get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. Do you think at 17, a person should be able to choose whether to persue a part time job as well as college?
    1. Yes you should have the choice
    2. 15 - had a worth ethic installed in me early
    3. shelf stacker in my super market

ReputationRep:
    16.. or 15...

I worked for a company that my mum worked for, not sure how legal it actually was to work at 15 (I was forced by my mum to go do it -_-) but yolo I enjoyed the money from it.

After that my first actual job was at 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    13 - newspaper rounds, babysitting, and dog walking.

If you don't count that, then 15 - carer for a lady with severe cerebral palsy (Friday nights and Saturday nights). Duties involved bathing her, feeding her, taking her to the toilet, getting her ready for bed, playing with her etc.
    Wow doing that at 15 is amazing and inspirational, imo, ngl

ReputationRep:
    I played competitive yugioh and made the equivalent of around £300 a month from selling cards on an eBay store at 13-14.

I started working a part time retail job at 16, quit once I realized I could make more money just singing and rapping on the street corners.

I'm now 18 working full time saving up money for next year when I intend to move to the U.K. (Obviously.)

ReputationRep:
    I started working on a farm at 14 and in a supermarket at 17, Work Experience is as important, if not more important, than your education.

ReputationRep:
    16, I start teaching drama classes part time on the weekends at my local youth theatre

ReputationRep:
    18, part time paid admin for a charity

ReputationRep:
    The first job I got for myself was a retail job when I was 20.
    I did a bit of babysitting before that though and I spent a summer in my uncle's company but I can't remember how old I was at the time.

ReputationRep:
    About 12 working on my parents farm 😂🐄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.