The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Durham to study law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pradia
nor is Philosophy but the other 2 are.

OP- If you just had one more 'traditional subject' I would definitely consider applying given your predictions and improvement (Unis sometimes see this as a good thing) from GCSE but I'm not too sure. Maybe email their admissions officer/s?

I just googled Durham's 'Preferred Subjects' but couldn't find anything at all. Is there some sort of list lurking on the internet anywhere?
Original post by TSRlily
I just googled Durham's 'Preferred Subjects' but couldn't find anything at all. Is there some sort of list lurking on the internet anywhere?

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
Reply 23
Original post by Pradia
nor is Philosophy but the other 2 are.

OP- If you just had one more 'traditional subject' I would definitely consider applying given your predictions and improvement (Unis sometimes see this as a good thing) from GCSE but I'm not too sure. Maybe email their admissions officer/s?

I was wondering if I am required to explain that during the time of my GCSE's (2014) I was suffering a relapse with Anorexia Nervosa, I don't want to disclose this because I don't want to claim any extenuating circumstances - I know I should have done far better at GCSE.
Original post by TSRlily
I was wondering if I am required to explain that during the time of my GCSE's (2014) I was suffering a relapse with Anorexia Nervosa, I don't want to disclose this because I don't want to claim any extenuating circumstances - I know I should have done far better at GCSE.

You don't have to disclose it if you don't wish to, and the ps would not be the place to do it if you did. This kind of thing goes in the reference so have a word with your referee to let them know you don't want it in there.
Original post by TSRlily

Yeah, I agree- you really don't have to reveal that medical condition if you don't want to but it would be helpful for the board to know that you would have achieved better grades. You would obviously have to go to your doctor and recieve a letter saying that you have suffered from so and so... I guess if you're comfortable with letting other people know then it's all worth it- you won't lose anything! xx Hope this helps xx
you certainly do need to declare it. It would be helpful to your chances as it will probably be treated as an extenuating circumstance for your gcse results. As far as your subjects are concerned they are not classed as easy subjects. English Lit is classed as facilitating subject by the Russell Group and all your subjects are on the UCL list of preferred subjects. The big problem you have is the standards of applicants for Durham is extremely high and they reject more people than get offers. You are certainly fine to apply and you might or might not get made an offer. If you get rejected do not take it to heart as you will be in the majority. You would be wise to ensure some of your other choices are a little less competitive in case you get rejected.
Original post by swanseajack1
you certainly do need to declare it. It would be helpful to your chances as it will probably be treated as an extenuating circumstance for your gcse results. As far as your subjects are concerned they are not classed as easy subjects. English Lit is classed as facilitating subject by the Russell Group and all your subjects are on the UCL list of preferred subjects. The big problem you have is the standards of applicants for Durham is extremely high and they reject more people than get offers. You are certainly fine to apply and you might or might not get made an offer. If you get rejected do not take it to heart as you will be in the majority. You would be wise to ensure some of your other choices are a little less competitive in case you get rejected.

No, she doesn't. There is no obligation to declare any condition which is no longer ongoing and for which no special consideration or request for additional support is being claimed. You don't have to state your completed medical history when applying for anything. Whether it would help her to do so is entirely another thing, but OP does not wish to have it on her application and she is perfectly within her rights to so decide. She would not have to declare a broken leg two years in the past and this is no different.
Tbh, I find it unlikely that you'll definitely be rejected applying with 4 As at AS, A*AA or A*A*A predictions, and a strong LNAT score. Whilst I'm not saying you'll definitely get an offer either, I think your subject choice is being somewhat exaggerated as a factor. English Lit and Philosophy are not just fine, they're two of the most common subjects offered by Law students. While Psychology is probably on the "softer" side of the spectrum, it's still an essay subject, and if it's good enough for UCL and LSE (on their preferred subject list), it's more than likely good enough for Durham. It's really only Law that's concerning, but if you dropped that at AS then there's no concern.

I see no reason why you shouldn't apply, so long as you can post a strong LNAT score. Once you've got that I'd say you're in as good a position as the next applicant
Original post by swanseajack1
The big problem you have is the standards of applicants for Durham is extremely high and they reject more people than get offers. You are certainly fine to apply and you might or might not get made an offer. If you get rejected do not take it to heart as you will be in the majority.

This is not the case. 60% of law applicants to Durham get offers.

http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c[q]=durham&c[geography__and__some]=durham_university&c[subject_l2][]=M100&c[subject_l2][]=M200&c[sort_fact]=relevance&button=
Original post by Pradia
English Lit and Philosophy aren't.

English Lit definitely isn't. Philosophy is a bit more dubious. I've heard Religious Studies isn't soft (this is the course that is a mix of Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics) but idk how different Philosophy on its own is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending