Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Osbourne hates workers - The Daily Telgraph watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    And yet the CPI has more than doubled just since 1988. Same with house prices which in real terms are 2.5x what they were in 1979.
    Notice where I said 'in real terms'?! That takes into account inflation. Essentially the poorest quintile has 60% more purchasing power than it did in 1979. Anyone who actually believes the poor are worse of now is beyond deluded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Vote conservatives; Richer get richer, Poorer get poorer..
    I don't disagree. However, Labour under Blair/Brown;
    allowed tax evasion by the largest companies on a massive level.
    allowed the banks to trash the economy and lifted regulation on them.
    allowed house prices to absolutely skyrocket, great for those with assets and terrible for those without.
    allowed mass immigration to suppress wages and make getting a job tougher than ever.
    allowed mass immigration combined with little investment in services to make trains more expensive than ever, schools more crowded than ever, etc etc.

New Labour with their pro-globalisation and sucking up to multinationals (low tax, low wages, low regulation all at the expense of the public) are giving the Tories a run for their money in the competition to be the biggest enemy of the poor in my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    I don't disagree. However, Labour under Blair/Brown;
    allowed tax evasion by the largest companies on a massive level.
    allowed the banks to trash the economy and lifted regulation on them.
    allowed house prices to absolutely skyrocket, great for those with assets and terrible for those without.
    allowed mass immigration to suppress wages and make getting a job tougher than ever.
    allowed mass immigration combined with little investment in services to make trains more expensive than ever, schools more crowded than ever, etc etc.

New Labour with their pro-globalisation and sucking up to multinationals (low tax, low wages, low regulation all at the expense of the public) are giving the Tories a run for their money in the competition to be the biggest enemy of the poor in my view.
    To be honest all this tax evasion and cuts, all parties do this with the expenses scandle in 2009

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    But the trend is more important than the current ok. I welcome our new Chinese masters!
    Rather China invests here than Germany or France. We recieve more foreign investment than rest of E.U put together this is a damn good thing, and with China about to be the biggest economy in the world it is brilliant to see Britain will continue to recieve more than its fiar share of investment in the future. Forien companies are more productive than British based ones anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You know Osborne's ****ed up when the Torygraph starts attacking him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevormacdonald)
    Rather China invests here than Germany or France. We recieve more foreign investment than rest of E.U put together this is a damn good thing, and with China about to be the biggest economy in the world it is brilliant to see Britain will continue to recieve more than its fiar share of investment in the future. Forien companies are more productive than British based ones anyway.
    Nope

1. More profits flow back to host country
    2. Investment can be closed down whenever and re-located, domestic firms are less willing than foreign firms as they have no allegiance
    3. We lose strategic knowledge
    4. Increase dependency on foreign countries we cannot dictate human rights terms for example as they have more power than us.
    etc etc

It's basically always been the same case, you (overseas investor) are now the big dog and i should accept your ways and open up my kennel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.