Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should there be an extra meat tax? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should meat be taxed extra?
    Yes
    25.58%
    No
    74.42%

ReputationRep:
    Lol **** off.

ReputationRep:
    whether or not taxation is the answer, I definitely think that the average person in the western world eats too much meat, partly due to health implications but also from an environmental and ethical point of view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    whether or not taxation is the answer, I definitely think that the average person in the western world eats too much meat, partly due to health implications but also from an environmental and ethical point of view
    It's even worse if it's poor quality meat from McDonald's of the supermarket and not from a proper butcher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    It's even worse if it's poor quality meat from McDonald's of the supermarket and not from a proper butcher

Posted from TSR Mobile
    YES, tbh I think it hardly counts as meat most of the time

ReputationRep:
    Haha who knows what's there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to avoid meat, then that's your prerogative. I don't, so I don't see why I should pay taxes for a choice that ultimately affects me and me alone. I can understand taxes on tobacco and alcohol as these can cause harm to other people. The most harm you can do with a steak is slap a vegan in the face with it.

Plus, we already have VAT.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The quality of meat at McDonalds is actually quite good. It is incredibly difficult to get a McDonalds contract because of the high standard which all their farms must meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    The quality of meat at McDonalds is actually quite good. It is incredibly difficult to get a McDonalds contract because of the high standard which all their farms must meet.
    Really? Wow. Well I don't eat there anyway so it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really? Wow. Well I don't eat there anyway so it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes. Have a read of this.

ReputationRep:
    Finally, someone shutting down some ignorants with actual facts! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    There's been a lot of discussion in the news and on TSR recently around both the sugar tax and the links between red/processed meat and cancer.

Do you think that because of some of the negative health effects of certain meats that these ones should be taxed at a higher rate?
    Yes

although i'm not vegetarian/vegan, I still don't like this mass production and cruelty to animals, it should be done on a lesser scale, we were built to eat meat, but not like crazy

we should start seeing meat as a luxury alongside sugar, we don't need it to this great an extent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Yes

although i'm not vegetarian/vegan, I still don't like this mass production and cruelty to animals, it should be done on a lesser scale, we were built to eat meat, but not like crazy

we should start seeing meat as a luxury alongside sugar, we don't need it to this great an extent
    Meat is already pretty expensive as it is. If you're concerned about animal welfare, do you really want to be raising the price, pushing more people towards buying cheaper factory farmed meat?

ReputationRep:
    What you do you even know about McDonalds?

ReputationRep:
    No I don't eat there due to religious reasons but that was actually really interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No I don't eat there due to religious reasons but that was actually really interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What religion bans McDonalds?

ReputationRep:
    What religion bans McDonalds?
    I doubt it said anywhere thou shalt not eat at McDonald's but the laws of kashrut state that meat has to be killed and prepared a certain way and can't be cooked with things like pork

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it said anywhere thou shalt not eat at McDonald's but the laws of kashrut state that meat has to be killed and prepared a certain way and can't be cooked with things like pork

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, Kosher. I get it.

ReputationRep:
    What you do you even know about McDonalds?
    In America they put a substance in their burgers which wasn't legally considered fit for human consumption.

ReputationRep:
    In America they put a substance in their burgers which wasn't legally considered fit for human consumption.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    http://aattp.org/chef-jamie-oliver-p...n-consumption/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/mcdonald...ot-only-249387

http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/0...-consumption/#

http://politicalblindspot.com/hambur...n-consumption/

there are so many more examples - I know that the websites aren't particularly reliable sources but there is an overwhelming number of articles. Sorry, couldn't find the original source Jamie Oliver used. The point is, the part of the meat they used was considered 'unfit for human consumption' so they washed it with ammonium hydroxide which is poisonous for humans and claimed it was somehow a different product? Thankfully they've stopped putting this in their burgers.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.