Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

grades1-9 watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Josh Lyman)
    The sixth form I hope to go to will when many other candidates have 9's and I only got an 8.
    The sixth form won't be that selective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The sixth form won't be that selective.
    I hope you're right.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Josh Lyman)
    I hope you're right.
    I am. They'd only have about 4 students in their Sixth Form if they were that selective!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The last change to GCSE grades was in 1994.

But still what's the point?? Less people are going to get 9s
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Outof_the_blue)
    But still what's the point?? Less people are going to get 9s
    There's no real point. The purpose is to allow the Government say they have restored rigour to the examination system and raised standards.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was because universities especially Oxbridge had too many candidates with all a* so this way there is more differentiation

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Foreverton)
    I think it was because universities especially Oxbridge had too many candidates with all a* so this way there is more differentiation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Another example of the idiotic Oxbridge-led education policies enforced by successive governments. I don't understand why the government gives a damn what Oxbridge thinks -- they should stop playing around with the system every few years to save Oxbridge admissions tutors the task of having to interview more applicants than they'd like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Another example of the idiotic Oxbridge-led education policies enforced by successive governments. I don't understand why the government gives a damn what Oxbridge thinks -- they should stop playing around with the system every few years to save Oxbridge admissions tutors the task of having to interview more applicants than they'd like.
    Haha, I'd say that it's partially bc most of the higher people in the government went to Oxbridge themselves! Ever seen Yes Minister?

(Original post by Treblebee)
    Haha, I'd say that it's partially bc most of the higher people in the government went to Oxbridge themselves! Ever seen Yes Minister?
    No, but I do know that a lot of people in both government and opposition did go to Oxbridge. I don't think the education system should be run for the benefit of just two universities, hence my frustration with the current policy of taking cues from Oxbridge.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.