Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is a good point.

So, if i was do the access that starts in Jan and ends in May (which seems short to me), how do i go about putting an application in for a sept 2016 start if i haven't yet done the access course?

The access course will provide me with a level 3 qualification, UCLAN have said that i need "30 level 3 credits at distinction" Does this course sound correct?

I have sent these questions off to the appropriate people at the bout uni and the college.

Apologies for my noviceness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So one thing to keep on mind, the Access course should get you straight onto the main degree, without doing the Foundation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am applying for foundaiton enginnering and from my research only the top unis such as Birmingham, sheffield and stuff want A-levels even some of accept BTEC alternatives.

I have seen a good few unis that don't need much qualifications as long as you can prove that you are up to for mature students like OP.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Denzel89)
    Yes, that is a good point.

So, if i was do the access that starts in Jan and ends in May (which seems short to me), how do i go about putting an application in for a sept 2016 start if i haven't yet done the access course?

The access course will provide me with a level 3 qualification, UCLAN have said that i need "30 level 3 credits at distinction" Does this course sound correct?

I have sent these questions off to the appropriate people at the bout uni and the college.

Apologies for my noviceness!
    I'm not an expert in the Access route but I can't see you covering enough content in 5 months... and 30 credits might be for the Foundation? Definitely doublecheck with the college and the uni.

Just for comparison, Derby entry requirements for the Civil BEng are 40 credits:
    http://www.derby.ac.uk/courses/civil...ring-bsc-hons/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just found that Teesside also asks for 30 credits - so perhaps UCLAN is correct

http://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_...ngineering.cfm
    Access to HE Diploma (with 30 Level 3 credits from science units, including 12 Level 3 credits in mathematics, awarded at merit or higher).

But again, you need to check if you will have covered enough in your Access in that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskVsReward)
    I am applying for foundaiton enginnering and from my research only the top unis such as Birmingham, sheffield and stuff want A-levels even some of accept BTEC alternatives.

I have seen a good few unis that don't need much qualifications as long as you can prove that you are up to for mature students like OP.
    This is what i originally thought, i thought maybe owning a company for the past 9 + years sub-contracting to civil engineering companies might sway it.....but then again if i can't do the maths, then I'm stuck and i need the access, for my own benefit.

I have just double checked on uclan's website and the lady is corrects at 30 credits for the civil engineering MEng (not foundation), which sounds great.

I have also double checked the colleges website and the course is running from jan 2016 to may 2016, i will call tomorrow and check, for course dates and credits i will gain.

Thanks for all your help!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This is what i originally thought, i thought maybe owning a company for the past 9 + years sub-contracting to civil engineering companies might sway it.....but then again if i can't do the maths, then I'm stuck and i need the access, for my own benefit.

I have just double checked on uclan's website and the lady is corrects at 30 credits for the civil engineering MEng (not foundation), which sounds great.

I have also double checked the colleges website and the course is running from jan 2016 to may 2016, i will call tomorrow and check, for course dates and credits i will gain.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh, and re your fast track Maths A-level - I think that would normally take a full year through a college (if you can find one local). But you could self-teach it as fast as you like - but don't underestimate the workload and difficulty of doing that. I think the Access route would be better *if* it covers the credits you need in the time you have...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Oh, and re your fast track Maths A-level - I think that would normally take a full year through a college (if you can find one local). But you could self-teach it as fast as you like - but don't underestimate the workload and difficulty of doing that. I think the Access route would be better *if* it covers the credits you need in the time you have...
    Yes i agree, tbh i thinking I'm leaning more towards the access as it means i can go straight into the MEng minus the foundation next sept...if it cover the credits that is.

Next question say if it does cover the credits, how do go about applying for a 2016 september start if i haven't yet done the access course?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes i agree, tbh i thinking I'm leaning more towards the access as it means i can go straight into the MEng minus the foundation next sept...if it cover the credits that is.

Next question say if it does cover the credits, how do go about applying for a 2016 september start if i haven't yet done the access course?
    No that's fine - everyone (well almost everyone) applies with "pending" and predicted grades via UCAS. e.g. school students apply in January but sit their A-levels in June for Sept uni start.

Your college will help you with the UCAS application, unless UCLAN allow you to apply direct?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea! it does say on the clan website "apply here"

Thing is that the deadline i think for applications is jan the 15 2016 and the course at college only starts on the 5th, what should i do here?

I am going to go to the uni open day on sat and get some definitive answers (i have a list here!)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I have no idea! it does say on the clan website "apply here"

Thing is that the deadline i think for applications is jan the 15 2016 and the course at college only starts on the 5th, what should i do here?

I am going to go to the uni open day on sat and get some definitive answers (i have a list here!)
    Ah I see, and you'll need a reference too.

Definitely best to chat to the uni on Sat!

ReputationRep:

Oh, I don't know much about Uclan but it depends on whether you intending on moving or not, seems to me to you want to stay local.

I am somewhat in a position somewhat similar to you, I just finished college, did alright but didn't do maths. I could have either done maths in this one year or applied foundation year. I decided on doing the foundation year because as mentioned above, maths can be seriously a large workload and hard, so I didn't really want to risk it and applied for the foundation year which allows me to retake a few exams to improve my grades a little and is far far less risky but it does add 9k to my debt lol.

Whatever you do, post on here if you need anything, amazing people are on here and are willing to help you out! I hope you succeed, you really some motivated to do well and become a good engineer!

ReputationRep:
    Have you been accepted without maths?

If so, how can that be?

TBH a january start at college is going to be a real stretch for me, ill have to wind the company up and figure out a way of earning a living fast between now and then.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Have you been accepted without maths?

If so, how can that be?

TBH a january start at college is going to be a real stretch for me, ill have to wind the company up and figure out a way of earning a living fast between now and then.
    You need to quote that poster

But you can do a foundation without maths A-level. A foundation is aimed at people who did the "wrong" a-levels for the course they now want to study. e.g. no maths/physics for engineering.

But you usually need some A-levels, not no A-levels...

So it's something to ask UCLAN if they would take you on the Foundation with just the GCSEs and real work experience you have.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I'm not holding out much hope, i can only ask, if not ill have to suck it up and do the access.

But like you said it brings qualification of a potential masters forward by around 18 months in doing the access as i can start in Jan, finish in May and then go straight into year 1 of the MEng in sept. Rather than the foundation in sept 2016 and year 1 of the degree in sept 2017!

Im just looking at how to go about winding a LTD company up without the use of my rather expensive accountants.....very complex! your not experienced in that by any chance are you?!

I must say all this is very daunting, but exciting also!

Daniel
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes but I'm not holding out much hope, i can only ask, if not ill have to suck it up and do the access.

But like you said it brings qualification of a potential masters forward by around 18 months in doing the access as i can start in Jan, finish in May and then go straight into year 1 of the MEng in sept. Rather than the foundation in sept 2016 and year 1 of the degree in sept 2017!

Im just looking at how to go about winding a LTD company up without the use of my rather expensive accountants.....very complex! your not experienced in that by any chance are you?!

I must say all this is very daunting, but exciting also!

Daniel
    Why do you need to wind it up? Can't you just make it dormant - submitting abbreviated (non-trading) accounts each year. And then resume it when you complete your degree.

https://www.gov.uk/dormant-company

ReputationRep:
    I suppose i could i would have to see how much that would cost....good idea...not quite as final
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I suppose i could i would have to see how much that would cost....good idea...not quite as final
    Or just keep it as a trading company - you may have time during the holidays to do some trading...

ReputationRep:
    Me again,

Im having real trouble coming to terms with possibly going to college in Jan, i just don't have time to finish current contracts and get some money together.....for a new car etc.

Do you have a link to somewhere that might do a distance learning course in maths of 30 level 3 credits at distinction?

Daniel.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Me again,

Im having real trouble coming to terms with possibly going to college in Jan, i just don't have time to finish current contracts and get some money together.....for a new car etc.

Do you have a link to somewhere that might do a distance learning course in maths of 30 level 3 credits at distinction?

Daniel.
    Hi Daniel, maybe ask in here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.