Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    I heard something like cuts or the wages aren't good enough from the NHS. Also on the news it said that Doctors are travelling to work in other countries. That's all I can say, sorry.
    If you don't know anything about what's being asked, why are you trying to answer the question?

To the OP: doctors are currently in a fight with the government over their contracts (salary, working hours, etc). This is a consequence of our government under-investing in healthcare and trying to reduce costs across the public sector. The job of actually being a doctor is not fundamentally different to how it was before. When the dust has settled, if you don't like what the UK public sector (i.e. the National Health Service - or whatever is its place by the time you qualify) has to offer, you can take your degree elsewhere. A UK medical degree still has a lot of international stature, e.g. in the US, Australia, and elsewhere in the European Union.

My advice would be not to make any long-term career decisions based on short-term badness in the UK. This current crop of politicians will be long gone by the time you qualify.

ReputationRep:
    Why commit to medical school then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    If you don't know anything about what's being asked, why are you trying to answer the question?

To the OP: doctors are currently in a fight with the government over their contracts (salary, working hours, etc). This is a consequence of our government under-investing in healthcare and trying to reduce costs across the public sector. The job of actually being a doctor is not fundamentally different to how it was before. When the dust has settled, if you don't like what the UK public sector (i.e. the National Health Service - or whatever is its place by the time you qualify) has to offer, you can take your degree elsewhere. A UK medical degree still has a lot of international stature, e.g. in the US, Australia, and elsewhere in the European Union.

My advice would be not to make any long-term career decisions based on short-term badness in the UK. This current crop of politicians will be long gone by the time you qualify.
    The current problems have been mounting for a long time, at least 10 years. It's just this government is worse than the previous two (personal opinion) but I do not think any political party currently has the ability to stop the NHS getting more and more stretched under the pressure. I include the party I am a member of and have always voted for, in that generalisation.

Overall I think doctor satisfaction and morale is worse than ever in the 5 years I've been working. I think much of the acute side of things is firefighting, more than ever and it's frustrating. The levels of beauracracy are also at an all time high and encountered every single day.

That said I love my job and feel privileged and proud to do it

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP, int'l med student here as well.

The way I see it, a UK med degree is one of the most highly respected qualifications in the world.

A career in medicine is extremely rewarding, but of course it can vary in different countries. It all depends on what really motivates you, as external factors such as politics can influence your practice and morale quite a bit.

All in all, I would say stick through your medical training, no matter how tough it will be/how much you will hate it, because in the end, when you get your CCT, the world is literally open for you to practise wherever you like!

That said, if you find yourself disliking the system you are in, either find somewhere else to train where you will be happier, OR if the benefits of staying outweigh the cons (like getting a UK qualification), just find the fastest way to complete your training, i.e. get a NTN and subsequently a CCT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.