Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    I'm pretty sure that a 'Bible basher' is someone who attempts to mock the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am simply trying to promote it to others. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Bible basher means the opposite to what you think it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Bible basher means the opposite to what you think it does.
    oh ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veestos121)
    It WILL set you free.
    You will not waste your life worshipping imaginary god or gods.
    And you will enjoy life that much more, knowing that nothing you can ever do is a "sin", and you can do whatever you want.
    don't listen to the religious lunatics and set yourself free.
    So you are basically saying that you have no morals whatsoever, and accept things such as murder, rape, homicides. Can you prove that there is no life beyond this one, that there is no such thing as a spiritual realm. The thing is that you cannot prove spiritual things with physical evidence. That is the whole point of having a faith, it is believing in something. And again can you 100% prove that the big bang is real?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And the truth is - there is no god.There never was any.The concept of a "god" and religions are a human invention like language, the week, economics and every other human invention.All religious laws and restrictions , were not given to man by any "god" ( jooz, mouselems and chreestians or "gods" ( yes I am talking to you polytheists like jindus and boodehists), rather they were invented by some very, very primitive people who lived thousands of years ago and had no idea about science or how the world or the Universe actually works.There is NOTHING supernatural in the universe,ALL religions are inventions.No god or gods,created us , Darwin proved We evolved from apes over millions of years through the NATURAL ( and NOT supernatural) process of "Natural Selection.There is no "afterlife", and no "soul".we ARE our bodies, more precisely our brain.Our consciousness or "thinking self " is the result of electric impulses in the brain.We only live once ,so stop worshipping your imaginary god or gods, because they do not exist, so you are waisting your precious time, your one go.
    Okay, but how does that "set you free"? Happiness is happiness, it doesn't matter if it's based on a belief that can be scientifically proven or not. Believing in something that can't be proven is not a waste of time if it makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    murder and rape are crimes. not "sins". "sin" is a religious concept.
    for murder , rape and theft and all other crimes we have civil laws and police in place, which do a lot better job at providing justice than an imaginary "god", who doesn't exist.
    and yeah I can, science has proven beyond the slightest shadow of a doubt both the big bang and evolution.
    Science still doesn't know what caused the big bang , or what happened before, or if we are living in a multiverse, but in the future I am sure science will be able to explain it.
    I believe that like ALL other things it was the process of a NATURAL process.
    Exactly, there is no solid prove of the big bang, science cant explain everything, and so some people put their faith in spiritual things, not to delude themselves but because they feel there is not always enough human explanation for things that happen. Many people have theories that in the bible, when God says "Let there be light" that it could be the big bang. Christianity does not say things such as natural selection does not exist cos it does. I study biology and it makes sense the concept of it. There are many natural processes the only difference between you and me is that i believe that there was a spiritual force behind this,whilst you believe that it is all purely by chance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    religion has and unfortunately still is ruining the world.
    and causing unimaginable suffering and unhappiness to billions upon billions of people.

the ONLY " blasphemy" in this beautiful life is religion.
    and the ONLY "sinners" are religious people, who ruin all of our lives because of their insane belief in imaginary beings. they , the religious people , should be ashamed to themselves for destroying our freedom and happiness, because of their insane belief in imaginary beings.
    I really can't be bothered to have this exact same argument all over again but whilst many people are using religion as an excuse to be vile, many people are also being perfectly civil with it and using it for the greater good. If you seriously think that religion is the biggest threat to your freedom in modern British society then that's slightly concerning.

ReputationRep:
    It WILL set you free.
    And you will enjoy life that much more, knowing that nothing you can ever do is a "sin", and you can do whatever you want.
    Something about the unending peace and joy I gain from worshipping God, something about knowing that the greatest power in the universe is on my side, that the power that raised Jesus Christ from the death is working within me and giving me strength, something about the miraculous healing I've experienced in my mental health, in the way that God showed me that His love for me is beyond anything I can ever understand, something in the way he lifted me from depression and suicidal thoughts, hasn't actually prevented me from enjoying life.

Funny that.

I've tried atheism and to be frank, it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    And the truth is - there is no god.There never was any.The concept of a "god" and religions are a human invention like language, the week, economics and every other human invention.All religious laws and restrictions , were not given to man by any "god" ( jooz, mouselems and chreestians or "gods" ( yes I am talking to you polytheists like jindus and boodehists), rather they were invented by some very, very primitive people who lived thousands of years ago and had no idea about science or how the world or the Universe actually works.There is NOTHING supernatural in the universe,ALL religions are inventions.No god or gods,created us , Darwin proved We evolved from apes over millions of years through the NATURAL ( and NOT supernatural) process of "Natural Selection.There is no "afterlife", and no "soul".we ARE our bodies, more precisely our brain.Our consciousness or "thinking self " is the result of electric impulses in the brain.We only live once ,so stop worshipping your imaginary god or gods, because they do not exist, so you are waisting your precious time, your one go.
    proof ? Thought not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And atheism is the BEST way to live your life.
    And your proof for that is... your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    It WILL set you free.
    I can see what you're saying, but let me just mention that your idea of freedom is different to our idea of freedom. Your idea means going and living your life however you like, with no responsibility to do right, no accountability, nothing. Our idea of freedom is a little deeper than that: through believing in and loving God, we feel a sense of such Joy as no earthly pleasures will give you. We feel a sense of completeness, and meaning enters into our lives. We realise that we exist for a reason, and that there actually is someone out there who loves us.
    There is no point trying to dissuade me; I believe in God more than I believe in myself, and when I praise God, I enjoy the happiest moments of my life.
    I don't know about you, but God's version of freedom seems (and is) much better than anything the World has to give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    God isn't a good explanation for the Big Bang, since you are just introducing more questions than legitimately answering anything. That is, unless there are reasons to believe that God caused the Big Bang separate to not having any other explanations.
    Actually, the Big Bang is evidence of God...

And did you know that, back in the time when people thought that the universe had lasted forever (in the early 20th century), there was a big debate between a Christian and an Atheist on the radio, and that the only reason that the Atheist won was that he argued against the Creation, saying that science shows that the universe has always been around, therefore it hadn't been created, so there. Ironically, when a similar debate was carried out fifty years later, the Christian won, because of the exact same argument, only the other way around! The atheist converted to a theist.

EDIT: @Veestos121 read this too

ReputationRep:
    one thing I am certain of is that in a million years if humans will still exist, they will look back at all of you religious people and say: "man , these ancients believed in some crazy SH**.

I am your contemporary and this is what I think about you, so who knows what they will think of you.
    Our faith is something that has been believed in for so many years and as long as it keeps giving people hope, i dont see it dying down anytime soon. When you say that religion is ruining peoples lifes, you could also say the same about atheism. People who dont think that there is any higher power that can judge their actions could do whatever they wanted to. My faith has brought so much happiness into my life and has kept me from ruining myself whenever i faced difficult situations. have your opinion but dont attack peoples faith like that, because people like you who cannot accept that people have different faiths, are in fact ruining society. Tell me this, if everyone just accepted each others opinions and views, and peacefully discussed differences, dont you think the world would be a happier place?

ReputationRep:

Yes, hundreds of years of scientific experiment and research.
    And not a fairy tale written by some shepards in the desert thousands of years ago.
    this shows your complete ignorance of the bible - firstly, it covers almost 4000 years of human history, and was written by over 40 different people, some were fishermen, a physician, some were prophets etc. In response to your claim that it is a 'fairy tale', firstly, not all of it is narrative, it includes books of law, family history, letters and poetry. Additionally, the sheer number of prophesies that were written hundreds of years before they came to pass is clear proof that it is more than a story book written by men in the desert. For example, the experience of crucifixion was described in deep technical and poetic detail hundreds of years before anyone was crucified. Not only this, but Jesus fulfilled 353 prophecies from where and how he was born to how and where he died. The fulfilment of these can be proven through ancient censuses and the writings of ancient secular authors who are considered reliable by scholars of classics.

Lastly, many scientific discoveries appeared in scripture years before they were recognised by the scientific community - these include the ideas that the Earth is round, floats in space and is surrounded by countless stars.

Clearly, even if atheists are right, your dismissal of this incredible book is pretty stupid and thoughtless.

ReputationRep:
    This hasnt helped set me free.

Does anyone here have a spare get out of jail free card as my cousin is being a douche bag? This is the last time im ever playing monopoly with him again.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    It would be a better place if EVERYONE were atheists.
    The world would be so technologically advanced you can't even imagine it.
    And everyone would be advanced and happy.
    How though? you could say the same for faiths and religions too. If everyone in whole world believed in the same things, there would be no doubt or questions about anything but a smooth system, were everyone obeyed the rules because they believed in it. Everyone would be happy.
    Again religion does not dispute science or technology. Many inventors of technology we use today were Christian

ReputationRep:
    i am sure i have read a similar thread on TSR
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Actually, the Big Bang is evidence of God...
    I could also claim it's evidence for my own theory that the universe was created by a universe-creating machine located in another universe. There seems like no particular reason to prefer one explanation over any other - it's just a guessing game, until we find the real answer.

ReputationRep:
    No "god" or "gods" created the universe.
    It happened NATURALLY due to laws of physics we do not fully understand yet.
    But in the future we WILL understand them.
    and our universe is probably one out of infinite number of universes in what has been called by scientists and physicists "The Multiverse".
    So it happened due to laws of Physics which exist because of... there being mass and particles, etc. Basically, they say gravity caused the Big Bang, but where did the gravity come from? And where did this tiny, almost infinitely dense blob of matter come from? The Big Bang is just like how God would create the Universe

ReputationRep:
    No.
    It would be a better place if EVERYONE were atheists.
    The world would be so technologically advanced you can't even imagine it.
    And everyone would be advanced and happy.
    No it wouldn't. We'd have no morals and society will collapse.

ReputationRep:
    And your evidence of that there is 'no God'?

I am in agreement about natural selection but how this prove that there is no God. Darwin never came up with that theory, it was discussed centuries before he was born.

after all how is energy created?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.