Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to get into medicine... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Doing maths or physics is not going to increase their chances of getting in at all. Picking something they feel they can get an A in is.

Once you have chemistry and biology the other subject choice really doesn't matter. Except that you need an A.
    Actually for many universities it will increase your chances, especially as they will be covering aspects of those subjects in the course. That's why people do them. I also think it's worth rethinking your degree choice. Do you really want to do medicine? If not there are many other medical related courses where just doing biology and chemistry is all that is required.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by djbrowniej19)
    Actually for many universities it will increase your chances, especially as they will be covering aspects of those subjects in the course. That's why people do them. I also think it's worth rethinking your degree choice. Do you really want to do medicine? If not there are many other medical related courses where just doing biology and chemistry is all that is required.
    It will not increase your chances. Medicine is often a tick box exercise. Chemistry and biology, tick. AAA, tick. Good GCSES, tick. Work experience and reflection, tick.
    Have you actually looked at medical degree requirements? Or are you just stating what you've 'heard'.

A-level maths and physics have nothing to do with a medical degree. A-level chemistry and biology barely have anything to do with the content you actually study in medicine (except for a basic grounding). There are plenty of current med students and doctors who had no science background, apart from GCSEs, before they got their degree.

And as for reassessing their degree choice because they don't want to do maths? What a load of *******s. Plenty of doctors hate maths.
    Medicine is only partly about the underlining theory. You don't have to want to study every science in order to be a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    How are you finding english literature with the two sciences? I'm thinking of doing the same but with spanish as my forth.
    I've finished my A levels now, but I really enjoyed the diversity English provided. It's so refreshing to engage a different part of your brain so that after a long day of biology/chemistry and learning lots of concepts you go to an english class to discuss ideas and opinions. Work wise it's not particularly more difficult than doing all sciences except maybe wider reading actually matters. In my opinion doing a humanities/language subject really helps to build skills such as writing and communication which are just as essential to being a doctor if not more than maths/physics (which you do little of in medicine)
    Discount all of this OP. Please. I hate maths yet I am incredibly passionate about becoming a doctor- should I reassess my degree choice also?

ReputationRep:
    Discount all of this OP. Please. I hate maths yet I am incredibly passionate about becoming a doctor- should I reassess my degree choice also?[/QUOTE]

I'm saying that you would be more likely to get a place and stand out. It's that they said they wanted to do medicine or something medical, meaning they would necessarily have to do that because they wouldn't need to apply to medicine to do something medical. I'm also not saying you won't get. It's just with the addition of maths/physics universities take it into account. Yes I read this up and not just saying things that I've heard. You don't have to do physics or maths. It only enhances your application, and puts you on the same level as many others who would be taking the additional subjects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I'm saying that you would be more likely to get a place and stand out. It's that they said they wanted to do medicine or something medical, meaning they would necessarily have to do that because they wouldn't need to apply to medicine to do something medical. I'm also not saying you won't get. It's just with the addition of maths/physics universities take it into account. Yes I read this up and not just saying things that I've heard. You don't have to do physics or maths. It only enhances your application, and puts you on the same level as many others who would be taking the additional subjects.
    No it does not enhance your application in any way. It won't make you stand out (there isn't really such a thing in medicine). Universities don't look past grade requirements and having chemistry (and most also want biology/1 other science).

ReputationRep:
    To be totally honest, I don't want to take any risks so I might do Physics and Psychology on trial (for 6 months) and see which one I prefer or do better in. I think that even if I pick Physics, I will do well in it, it's just as case of enjoying what I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.