Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi

For part-time funding you can get up to 16 years.

If you already have a CertHe, you will be able to get funding, providing you are doing a higher level of qualification (Topping up to the BA). You may have indicated the previous study towards the BA as actually having done the BA and the system has rejected this due to already having the qualification.

Please call us to check the application for you as I am unable to check this online: 0300 100 0607

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi

For part-time funding you can get up to 16 years.

If you already have a CertHe, you will be able to get funding, providing you are doing a higher level of qualification (Topping up to the BA). You may have indicated the previous study towards the BA as actually having done the BA and the system has rejected this due to already having the qualification.

Please call us to check the application for you as I am unable to check this online: 0300 100 0607

Thanks
    Hi Mark, I did indeed choose the answer "Yes" under the question on the form "Did you gain a qualification?". However there was no other blank in the form to fill in for me to indicate what qualification it was I got... If there was, I would have indicated it was a CertHE.

Could you confirm here if I would be eligible for funding for part of the degree (as others previously have indicated here) or for the full degree ?

Also do you think emailing with a formal appeal explaining the situation surrounding why I quitted the degree back then, together with scans of a letter from my husband's old workplace in Hull stating his retrenchment from the place closing down, plus the letter from his new job in Gloucester at around the same time, would be useful?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If the new course you are applying for is a BA, then you may be eligible. There may be no need to appeal, but I would call our helpline so we can see whats on the actual account.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mark, I would not be doing the same subjects as my degree (reasons explained in my previous posts here) so I am starting a degree from scratch (from the CertHE level). Does this mean I cannot get funding for the CertHE level (i.e. Year 1 of the degree) and can only get funding for the DipHE and BA levels (i.e. Year 2 and Year 3 of the degree)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Yes, we are unable to fund your for another course of the same level. It must be topping-up to a higher level to attract funding. This is classed as equivalent level qualification (ELQ) which we cannot fund. Please speak with your place of study to see if you may be eligible to receive funding from any other sources.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I see, Mark SFE. Thank you for responding.

I guess I will have fund the equivalent of the 1st year of the degree myself. I could afford to self fund the equivalent of the first year of a degree and even that is a bit of a stretch, but I'll do it. It will take 2 or 3 years for me to finish the equivalent of the 1st year of the new degree I wish to start, if I study part time distance learning. I cannot rush it with all my other commitments.

Do you think I should cancel my current application and wait until I'm about to start the equivalent 2nd year of the degree in about 2 or 3 years' time, before applying to SFE for a loan again just to fund the equivalent of the 2nd and 3rd years of the degree?

Or should I stick with this one and appeal and send in all the things SFE want for evidence? By the way I called SFE today and they say they will only believe I only achieved a CertHE and not the full BA *if* I ask my old Uni to write a formal letter to SFE, printed on the university's letterhead paper, stating that I was a student of the BA degree course in Spanish & Philosophy but I did not complete the full BA.

SFE also told me on the phone they won't accept my academic transcript or CertHE certificate from the old uni as proof that I did not complete the full BA.

So I called my old uni and was passed from pillar to post with this request... Finally got to an admin person from the uni's language department who said will "see what they can do". They took down my old student number and current details and said they would get back to me eventually. I am crossing my fingers they will help as I know this is an out-of-ordinary request that SFE is demanding they do. Do they always require this sort of proof? To the university, it seems a real non-standard request and a hassle. The university asked me wouldn't an academic transcript be enough? I had to tell them no, SFE said to me over the phone they won't take an academic transcript from the Uni. *shrug*

Do you think this is a routine request from SFE?
    I don't understand why they won't take a transcript. The transcript lists all the credits and courses I took at the uni. It would show clearly I have only done 60 credits and it takes 360 credits to get the full BA, so clearly I have not completed the full BA!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

It is normal or us to ask for a letter from the university to confirm what qualification you received and that you have not completed the course qualification originally applied for.

If you will not be applying for funding for this year of the course you can cancel this application and simply reapply when you need to.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi

It is normal or us to ask for a letter from the university to confirm what qualification you received and that you have not completed the course qualification originally applied for.
    Mark, I have not heard back from my old uni at all. I will probably chase it up with them next week to give them a bit of time.

I looked at their student admin services website here
    http://shop.hull.ac.uk/browse/extra_...earchresults=1
    and saw that they offer "proof of study" certificates. Would that suffice? They say it is less detailed as a transcript but will say what dates I was enrolled?

I already have a detailed academic transcript from the Uni. I ordered it from them 2 months ago thinking it will be useful for student loans application and received it a day after, so can produce that. But if the proof of study certificate will suffice, I will order this too. £10 each time but oh well. How about that?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Other than a letter from the University there is no set rules on what will be accepted as proof of previous qualifications. It is up to the discretion of the assessor and is worked on a case by case basis, so as such it's best to send whatever the assessor has asked for.

We may accept a proof of study certificate if it clearly stated that you only received the CertHE but I can't guarantee it, as it is still difficult to prove that you didn't go on to receive the BA after the Cert HE. In your case, I would try and chase it up with the Uni first of all, as I don't want you to waste £10 if we are unable to accept it. If you haven't already, speak to your student services department as this is a fairly standard request from us, someone should be able to write you a letter to confirm you received the CertHE and didn't go on to receive the BA.

Thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.