Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Rational Are You ? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How Rational Are You ? (take the test before voting)
    Detective
    7.27%
    Field Commander
    1.82%
    Journalist
    14.55%
    Cardsharp
    0%
    Speculator
    0%
    Introspector
    0%
    Skeptic
    25.45%
    Meditator
    14.55%
    Explorer
    1.82%
    Inventor
    0%
    Attorney
    1.82%
    Free Spirit
    5.45%
    Coordinater
    0%
    Executive
    14.55%
    Strategist
    1.82%
    Rationalist
    10.91%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    The definition of 'rational' is as follows: 'based on or in accordance with reason or logic'.

A completely rational person wouldn't have bothered creating this thread, for they would appreciate that it's unreasonable to waste a lot of time (which is finite as it is) on something as meaningless as that test.
    Or they might have come to the realisation that, since they're a) they're not machines constantly making efficient use of every second of time available to them, and b) not doing anything particularly productive at this moment in time, taking and posting a test isn't going to lead to the end of the world and/or them spontaneously-combusting. Seriously, your jumps in "logic" are appalling, just stop trying.

ReputationRep:
    Meditator...

ReputationRep:
    The definition of 'rational' is as follows: 'based on or in accordance with reason or logic'.

A completely rational person wouldn't have bothered creating this thread, for they would appreciate that it's unreasonable to waste a lot of time (which is finite as it is) on something as meaningless as that test.
    That is your opinion. Some could argue that it is irrational to play video games, and others would argue it is irrational to go to university unless you attend a good university. You fail to understand you injected the term 'expect' when there were no expectations whatsoever, that is why your post is irrational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    That is your opinion. Some could argue that it is irrational to play video games, and others would argue it is irrational to go to university unless you attend a good university. You fail to understand you injected the term 'expect' when there were no expectations whatsoever, that is why your post is irrational.
    I never said 'expect'; I said 'want'. Obviously you took the test and created this thread because you wanted other people to take the test too (otherwise you wouldn't have bothered).

Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, congrats OP, I've taken this test before and those are some impressively high scores from what I remember... assuming they are legit. Are you a philosophy grad, by any chance?

Might take it again a bit later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashim123)
    Or they might have come to the realisation that, since they're a) they're not machines constantly making efficient use of every second of time available to them, and b) not doing anything particularly productive at this moment in time, taking and posting a test isn't going to lead to the end of the world and/or them spontaneously-combusting. Seriously, your jumps in "logic" are appalling, just stop trying.
    I never said that you should look to make efficient use of "every second". My point is that it's unreasonable to waste a considerable amount of time on pointless things regardless of whether or not you have anything better to do.

ReputationRep:
    I never said 'expect'; I said 'want'. Obviously you took the test and created this thread because you wanted other people to take the test too (otherwise you wouldn't have bothered).

Simple.
    It doesn't matter whether you said 'expect' or 'want'. Usage of both terms means you are assuming I had some sort of exception from posting this thread. Have you ever heard of sharing resources ? If I post the results of a study I carried out on oral cancer, must that mean I want people to read it ? Can it not mean I am simply sharing it for those who may want to read it?. Your argument is flawed, and would only be valid if I in some way bumped this thread with the intention of getting results out of viewers.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, congrats OP, I've taken this test before and those are some impressively high scores from what I remember... assuming they are legit. Are you a philosophy grad, by any chance?

Might take it again a bit later on.
    I am a dental student. I have to think extremely rationally. Might explain my results in the test.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I got 'skeptic', but I'm not sure it's accurate.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter whether you said 'expect' or 'want'. Usage of both terms means you are assuming I had some sort of exception from posting this thread. Have you ever heard of sharing resources ? If I post the results of a study I carried out on oral cancer, must that mean I want people to read it ? Can it not mean I am simply sharing it for those who may want to read it?. Your argument is flawed, and would only be valid if I in some way bumped this thread with the intention of getting results out of viewers.
    The fact that you created this thread (and poll) is sufficient evidence to suggest that you wanted a response.

You've not shared any resources at all; you've just shared a time-wasting mechanism. Posting results of an oral cancer study (for example) would benefit those who are interested in the area, for it would boost their knowledge about the subject (i.e it wouldn't be a waste of time like that test).

ReputationRep:
    Executive

ReputationRep:
    Judging by your comment, you seem to be very irrational. I didn't expect anyone to do anything, I simply made a thread providing viewers the option of taking the test and answering the question, or not. You assuming that I 'expect' you to take the 21 question long test, makes you incredibly irrational. The reality is, I don't know you, or care about your existence.
    you tell him x

ReputationRep:
    You racked up 47.22% of the highest possible rationality score!

Journalist.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you created this thread (and poll) is sufficient evidence to suggest that you wanted a response.

You've not shared any resources at all; you've just shared a time-wasting mechanism. Posting results of an oral cancer study (for example) would benefit those who are interested in the area, for it would boost their knowledge about the subject (i.e it wouldn't be a complete waste of time like that test).
    Your arguments are full of assumptions.

1.) the test and poll is a resource itself, it collects data on how rational people are, and displays them for those who may be interested to see
    2.) describing the test as time-wasting is your opinion, something which is far from factual
    3.) creating a thread and poll does not mean I wanted a response at all. I could have just been sharing my personal results, and providing the means of testing I took to achieve such a result, to those who may be interested in seeing what their results may be. With regards to the creation of the poll, I could have created it simply so others can see how they scored in relation to current votes.

How can you think you will win a debate or argument by just making assumptions ? Verily, you are irrational.

ReputationRep:
    Journalist

Most Journalists are open to new experiences and enjoy learning about others. They also have a skeptical streak that makes them difficult to trick or manipulate. Their combination of openness and skepticism make them fine judges of character. Approximately 13% of the populace are Journalists.

You are Intuitive: You tend to trust your intuitions — you size up situations quickly and stick with your judgments once you’ve made them. This tendency can be useful when you need to think on your feet, or when you’re using a skill that you’ve already honed to perfection.

You are Subjective: People and stories interest you more than facts and figures do; you focus on the essence of ideas over the details. Your mind is more qualitative than quantitative. This trait lets you focus on the big picture over the nitty-gritty.

You are Carefree: You tend to live in the moment. You don’t waste a lot of emotional energy fretting about the future. Instead, you focus on getting the most out of life right now.

You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.

You racked up 41.67% of the highest possible rationality score!Your total rationality score (out of 100%)

You scored better than 5% of past users!

ReputationRep:
    Take the test here:
    Attachment 476245
    http://programs.clearerthinking.org/...l#.Vj4umbfhCUl

My results

Summary:
    'Rationalist' with a rational score of 91.67%
    Scored better than 99% of past users

Breakdown:
    Your quantitative reasoning score: 93.75%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 87.5%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 93.75%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 87.5%
    Is the burning house/fireman question still on there? I remember the first time I took this it was in beta, and I took issue with the answer to that question, so complained in a bug report. :laugh:

I never said that you should look to make efficient use of "every second". My point is that it's unreasonable to waste a considerable amount of time on pointless things regardless of whether or not you have anything better to do.
    Why is it unreasonable? As already indicated, humans aren't machines, and from what I can tell, you seem to be advocating for a stance of uber-rationality that would have them be; rationality at all costs. That might be technically-rational, but it's to the detriment of every other human impulse, and therefore isn't intelligent. A conscious machine would consider it inefficient to waste time doing unproductive things; a human would understand the value of unproductivity just as equally as productivity.

That's not even the bigger point here, though - it's your writing off the entire original post as "pointless" in the first place, itself an incredibly-subjective term and one that can in no way be objectively, rationally-evaluated. Maybe OP saw value for personal development in testing his own level of rationality and comparing it to the rest of the forum's. Maybe he just saw a chance to stroke his ego by posting his near-perfect score. Whether OP's purpose was productive or non-productive, the original post has plenty of potential to have been either, and therefore not in the slightest pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Your arguments are full of assumptions.

1.) the test and poll is a resource itself, it collects data on how rational people are, and displays them for those who may be interested to see
    2.) describing the test as time-wasting is your opinion, something which is far from factual
    3.) creating a thread and poll does not mean I wanted a response at all. I could have just been sharing my personal results, and proving the means of testing I took to achieve such a result, to those who may be interested in seeing what their results may be. With regards to the creation of the poll, I could have created it simply so others can see how they scored in relation to current votes.
    If you didn't want a response, then why does the title ask a question to the TSR community, namely "how rational are you?"

Also, does the organisation which has administered that test have any authority on the matter? NO. In fact, it's just a random website. So how can you call it a 'resource'?

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't want a response, then why does the title ask a question to the TSR community, namely "how rational are you?"

Also, does the organisation which has administered that test have any authority on the matter? NO. In fact, it's just a random website. So how can you call it a 'resource'?
    Asking a question does not mean you expect an answer. There are things like rhetorical questions, or questions that are there but you do not have to answer them. Have you ever filled out a form which uses an asterisk next to questions that need to answered, but omits this next to questions that need not be answered but are there for data collecting?

You are making some more assumptions, 'random website' is one. A resource is something that is useful to others. The website was useful to me, therefor it is a resource to me.

Honestly, you're worthless at arguing, so give up. You should ask a mod to change your username to 'Most Irrational' from 'Most Competitive'.

ReputationRep:
    Is the burning house/fireman question still on there? I remember the first time I took this it was in beta, and I took issue with the answer to that question, so complained in a bug report. :laugh:
    Yes it is, what was your objection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Yes it is, what was your objection?
    I had to do this for a particular thing a few months back, so I took screenshots. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.