Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mum literally just told me to change most of my a level options watch

Announcements

(Original post by shsidk)
    Exact opposite for me. Dad really wants me/sis to be a doctor and we've had a LOT of fights about it. Thing is I want to be a vet. Not EXTREMELY opposite but my dad seems to think so. I am so grateful to have my mum's support.
    i always see those parents that literally don't care what their children do. Why is my mum like this?I don't want to fall out with her but i feel like I'm going to.

(Original post by FahzB)
    Financially?
    Aren't you 15/16? Why would you need money?

Do you think you'll ever need her advice?

At the end of the day, it's your life.
    correct, i'm 15 atm. My mum and dad don't have a lot of money at the moment, so i guess they want me to have loads of money when im older. Also by cut off i mean like stop talking to me, i'd live in the house but i'd never speak to her? that type of thing

I probably would never need her advice, because there are so many issues where shes so left behind in terms of society values that it's pointless to ask her stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i always see those parents that literally don't care what their children do. Why is my mum like this?I don't want to fall out with her but i feel like I'm going to.
    I'm glad my parents care, in a way. As in I'm happy that they care about my future and they want me to have a good life so long as they don't start dictating what I should and shouldn't do. (!!!!!!)

My dad's always been like this and really, I can't change that. I just have to do what I need to do to get where I need to be.

As for the falling out part, me and me dad fought a lot and we literally didn't talk/make eye contact or stay in the same room at the same time for a whole week +. Not that long but it felt like ages. Man I was so glad he gave in first, haha.

There's not much you can do unless you want to give in and do what your mum says. But you know and I know that won't make you happy. So keep your head up and stand your ground! But also make sure you stop to listen (even if you don't care/believe whatever she's talking about). That helps to ease up the situation.

Good luck!

(Original post by sairajay)
    I do Eng lit Alevel and Psychology they are not hard at all, yes it does require a lot of work, and you can get jobs with these type of degrees. Do some research and do what you want to do, at the end of the day you're going to be sitting the exams not your mum.
    what are the exams like for the two and what do you really learn? I like reading and history so i always thought english lit would be good for me. i just love the idea of psychology. I think her problems with it are issues a lot of older people have with it, which is annoying.

i've noticed that even though, i'm the one sitting the exams, she still tells me whether its hard, if i did well, what i could have done prior to the exam. Like for example i got 1 of an A in French listening which i thought was good, but she told me it isn't good enough. considering i got a D a couple of months ago that's a fast improvement. its so annoying

ReputationRep:
    Study something hard.

Don't do psychology at undergraduate as you'll need more than a Bachelors to work in that field (this means you'll need to receive a good degree and will be forgoing income for 1-5 years), and also because it won't help you much in getting a job in other fields. Source: I used to work in HR and recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    correct, i'm 15 atm. My mum and dad don't have a lot of money at the moment, so i guess they want me to have loads of money when im older. Also by cut off i mean like stop talking to me, i'd live in the house but i'd never speak to her? that type of thing

I probably would never need her advice, because there are so many issues where shes so left behind in terms of society values that it's pointless to ask her stuff.
    Do you think your mother would keep her word? I mean you live in the same house, does she speak to your sister?

I'd advise you to choose the A-Levels you want, what if you end up regretting the ones she has chosen for you?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, English Lit, Biology, and Maths/Physics..
    Firstly I'd recommend you see this video, its pretty awesome:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGD81Ngk2QU

And after that, well, yeah, nothing's too hard. I'm in A2, everyone I see around me, those who put in hard work, they do well enough, it's not too hard, so don't worry about that. As for subject choices, well two things:

1. You'll most likely be able to change them up to about a month into AS. So plenty of time to make changes (you might want to confirm this).
    2. I'd say it's a good combo. Fitting chem in would leave the option of medicine open at least if that interests you, or if you might change your mind (on your own) later on. Economics is quite interesting (wish I had done it) for people related stuff. It might be pretty handy to know a bit about if you're broadcasting. So you could think about like, Chem/Economics/Psychoogy, English Lit, Biology, Phys/Maths or however you want to do it.

I can only give my example, I'm applying for maths, now I'm doing Maths and Further Maths, my other two subjects could have been anything, I could have done classics, literature, german, physics, whatever, and it would only have been a reflection of what I'm into, and I would have been doing what I like during A levels, and wouldn't have hugely impacted my chances of getting in. What you do at A levels won't affect your job after you graduate. Maybe narrow down to some vague idea of what you want to do at uni, and think what subjects you need and make a relaxed choice after that.

ReputationRep:
    So my dad is abroad at the moment, and i am living with only my mum. I'm doing my gcse' and in January we pick our a level subjects

i wanted to pick: English Lit, Biology, Psychology (for as maybe?) and Physics/Maths at alevel

I'm not underachieving in any of these and i think i might study, Psychology/Broadcasting/maybe something to do with biology or people at uni

Despite all of this, my mum has told me to not to pick lit because its really hard (doesn't think i can do it), I shouldn't pick psychology because i wont be able to get a job and i shouldn't do it at uni because i wouldn't be able to get a job there either.

Is there any truth to what she is saying, i mean aren't all a levels hard regardless of what you do. i know I am picking demanding subjects but that's because i enjoy them. Should i scrap everything all together and pick other options or is she bull****ting?
    No you should do what you want to do, because at the end of the day you're going to be studying them and not your mum. I'm doing A2 English literature, as long as you don't mind reading and know who to write a decent essay (which is taught it you don't) there shouldn't be a problem. Do want you want. Just make sure that if you're going to uni that your chosen A levels are suitable.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would consider Biology / Physics / Maths and maybe Psych.

I would avoid Psychology further up but it is a good 4th A level because it tends to be softer. Nobody cares about your 4th AS. Unless you get a U. If you're interested in anything STEM-related then theres a good chance of finding employment relatively easily (demand for STEM subject holders are very high), but I do say relatively as you would still need to put in the effort and time.

It really depends on what you want to do at university. I would avoid your mums thoughts on this as she doesn't seem the most informed. I mean, you should explain this to her because having your mum against you is pretty much a big no-no as well. Basically, if you want to do Maths/Physics because you enjoy it, be prepared to put in a lot of time and effort doing the subjects. You will find it real tough but you will find it so much more worth it later down.

With higher education there are a tonne of pathways you can go through. For example, I've got offers for Computer Science at Russel Group unis, and I don't take any mathematical subjects. I do Bio / Psych/ History.

Ultimately, find a role or career you would enjoy. Find demand/employability and consider if its the career you want to go down. Then look at the type of degree you need to get there. Then look at the A levels needed to do the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum isn't the one spending countless hours for the next 2 years for these A levels , so kindly disagree with her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.