Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whats the number adjusted per capita? How does it fare to other countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Even the 14,000 would mean the u.k has among the highest rates of rape in the world at 28 rapes per 100,000 people
    Sauce?

but most rapes will not be reported so 85,000 is a good estimate which is most likely the least amount of women who are raped in the u.k
    No, it's a terrible estimate and, as I already said, it is the upper limit of the estimate not "likely the least".

ReputationRep:
    A third of Britons think a woman is partly or completely to blame for rape

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ame-raped.html

With attitudes like thus no wonder there is so much rape and sexual assaults in the u.k and that hardly anything is done to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Even the 14,000 would mean the u.k has among the highest rates of rape in the world at 28 rapes per 100,000 people but most rapes will not be reported so 85,000 is a good estimate which is most likely the least amount of women who are raped in the u.k
    You're annoying. It's useless to compare rape stats between countries. High level of rapes simply means that rape is considered seriously here. On the other hand, rape figures for India, Pakistan or Egypt are laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like people in Britain don't care, since not much is being done to tackle these absurdly high amounts of rape.
    Define rape culture.

ReputationRep:
    A third of Britons think a woman is partly or completely to blame for rape

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ame-raped.html

With attitudes like thus no wonder there is so much rape and sexual assaults in the u.k and that hardly anything is done to deal with it.
    That article is ten years old, but can we see the results of a similar survey for India?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Sauce?

No, it's a terrible estimate and, as I already said, it is the upper limit of the estimate not "likely the least".
    http://www.thewave.co.uk/news/local/...etection-data/

ReputationRep:
    I see you have made this thread at least four times already and judging by some of your other thread titles you seem to have an axe to grind when it comes to the U.K. As such, I can't be f***ed with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    There is no rape culture in the UK, since rape is taken very seriously. It's worse in most countries outside Europe.
    Rape is not taken seriously in UK. It is hardly covered in the UK by media or other organisations. Most people were not aware of these stats which proves that it is being brushed aside. It has become normal for women in UK to be raped or sexually assaulted. They are terrified to walk alone at night.

ReputationRep:
    I see you have made this thread at least four times already and judging by some of your other thread titles you seem to have an axe to grind when it comes to the U.K. As such, I can't be f***ed with you.
    Because you can't argue against stats from the police and government.

Your an example of yet another Brit who wants to brush the issue aside which will this problem of extremely high amounts of sexual assault will continue.

ReputationRep:
    Rape is not taken seriously in UK. It is hardly covered in the UK or by media or other organisations. Most people were not aware of these stats which proves that it is being brushed aside. It has become normal for women in UK to be raped or sexually assaulted. They are terrified to walk alone at night.
    Get away troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    That article is ten years old, but can we see the results of a similar survey for India?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ys-survey.html

Here you go since the date of the article is so important to you.

ReputationRep:
    Rape is not taken seriously in UK. It is hardly covered in the UK or by media or other organisations. Most people were not aware of these stats which proves that it is being brushed aside. It has become normal for women in UK to be raped or sexually assaulted. They are terrified to walk alone at night.
    Are you even trying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    That equates to 0.002% of the female population. Totally a culture.
    2.6% actually.

there are 64.1 million people in the uk half of them females

85000/6410000 = .0265

times that by 100 to get percenttage

and you have 2.6%

you sir are a retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggs20)
    2.6% actually.

85000/6410000 = .0265

and you have 2.6%

you sir are a retard.
    there are 64million people in the uk, not 6.4million no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggs20)
    2.6% actually.

85000/6410000 = .0265

and you have 2.6%

you sir are a retard.
    There are 32.2 million women in the UK, so 32,200,000 not 6,410,000 (6.4 million).

I am happy to admit that the figure actual is 0.2%, I made a mistake.

But you sir need to learn to check your figures.

ReputationRep:
    There are 32.2 million women in the UK, so 32,200,000 not 6,410,000 (6.4 million).

I am happy to admit that the figure actual is 0.2%, I made a mistake.

But you sir need to learn to check your figures.
    Not to mention that the (seemingly baseless) figure of 85,000 is for women aged 16 and over, so you'd have to take all the <16 year olds off the 32.2m.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention that the (seemingly baseless) figure of 85,000 is for women aged 16 and over, so you'd have to take all the <16 year olds off the 32.2m.
    It is a ridiculous figure to quote anyway.

ReputationRep:
    derby pedophile gang

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ex-jailed.html

ReputationRep:
    It is a ridiculous figure to quote anyway.
    No doubt. Just sayin'.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.