Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Aw fair play, mine's at 2:45 Good luck!

Okay, I think I might just do a couple of hands and bodies to bulk up my portfolio a bit?

I think I would talk about exhibitions that you've seen recently, as 1) it shows you're making the effort to go out and see what's happening in the art world and 2) you will have had first hand experience of seeing the artist's work. I think if not, go for a different mix of artists and their techniques - doesn't have to necessarily be an artist that you really like I guess?

I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't done any extra work either. I think that might be more aimed at people just doing art? I'm sure they'll take into account if there's other commitments/ subjects that you have to spend more time on.

No worries!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really nervous about it though

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you too!

Aaaahh, thank you! That's brill! I saw some wicked stuff at the Saatchi last month so I'll focus on that

Yeah, totally- I hadn't thought about people who only have one subject. That makes me feel more chill

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donnamedrosa)
    I'm really nervous about it though
    Frankly, me too. I'm trying to be mindful though and do any little bits that I can here and there, and /try/ not to think too hard about being rejected. Especially because I only applied to Leeds D:

Worse case scenario, I'll work a *****y job all through next year and take a BUNCH of short courses, buy some cool tech, and try to work on a new portfolio.

What will be, will be

ReputationRep:
    Fair play, I'm sure it'll be fine, it's just all the sheets that they've sent out which make it feel quite daunting.

Are you guys bringing all your units or just specific pieces that you've done?

ReputationRep:
    i'm just bringing about 15 sheets not alll my workbooks

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview and just letting people know it's not bad at all, they just asked about hobbies and inspirations and stuff, like a 15 minute chat that's all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for the Foundation! Has anyone else heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wooo well done!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have my interview on Wednesday, just wondering If you could give me any tips for the interview or portfolio?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For the interview, make sure you have artists you know and like to mind, as well as exhibitions you might have seen. They didn't ask me about this but just make sure in case.

Also I found out on the day of my interview they put a lot of emphasis on using art journals, like Frieze and gentlewoman, in the Foundation, so talk about different resources you use to research the art world and specific artists.

It sounds daunting but it was literally just a chat and I don't mean any different. I was really nervous I hadn't got my answers ready for the questions on the sheet but they didn't really ask them. It was more about accommodation and things like that - it wasn't really formal or anything.

For my portfolio I bought my Unit 1, 2 and 3 from my Art A-Level as I wanted them to see the progression of my thoughts and ideas in my sketchbooks and separate pieces. I didn't bother mounting a lot of it, instead I just paper clipped collections of work together so it made visual sense when looking through it.

Also my friends who are doing both Art and Photography A-Level brought all their units in and that was fine - so don't feel like you have to completely refine it.

I hope that's helpful haha, can always ask more questions if you need to! I hope I've not rambled too much haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, no it was really helpful! : )

Do you have to talk about/ go through your portfolio in the interview?

ReputationRep:
    No you don't unfortunately. They took us into a room and we wrote down our predicted grades onto a piece of paper and just left that with our portfolios.

Just make sure your portfolio is organised - I left instructions with mine as I had digital work as well. I just made it a bit easier to navigate through it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I can't give much better advice than that haha! Just don't worry about it, I barely spoke about contemporary art and rambled on about old artists I liked as I didn't realise the interview was nearly finished, but didn't matter at all the tutors can deffo tell how interested you are just by how you talk, so no worries, just a 15 minute chat tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted too!

ReputationRep:
    Woo well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Out of interest what offer did you get?
    Totally undecided between this and Bournmouth for foundation.

ReputationRep:
    I have to get 1 A level, but I've decided on going to loughborough instead : )

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.