Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology OR Psychology and Criminology? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricefarmer)
    I got an A, but i have no idea how. I hated sociology the most!
    I hated Sociology last year too and somehow got an A, but it's my favourite subject so far this year

(Original post by hellodave5)
    I would probably go for Psychology or Criminology
    If you include Criminology, you lose BPS accreditation I think?? (which means you can't apply for the high paying Psych jobs, if you think you want to do them later on - e.g. clinical psychology).
    Not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    I hated Sociology last year too and somehow got an A, but it's my favourite subject so far this year

Not necessarily.
    Not necessarily? Expand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    With those grades don't waste applications with the last three as you can do better than that! Push yourself and apply to the best universities - you can do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you! that's so motivating
    What unis do you guys recommend, Ive been on my laptop for hours now looking at different unis, I dont really want to go further than nottingham.

Ive updated my list of courses:
    Southampton* Psychology
    Sussex Psychology
    De montfort Psychology and Criminology
    Loughborough Psychology
    Nottingham Psychology

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily? Expand?
    There are tonnes of Universities that offer Psychology and Criminology as a Joint Honours degree and still has BPS Accreditation.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably go for Psychology or Criminology
    If you include Criminology, you lose BPS accreditation I think?? (which means you can't apply for the high paying Psych jobs, if you think you want to do them later on - e.g. clinical psychology).
    for De Montfort, you still get the BPS accreditation, they still cover everything you need for it

ReputationRep:
    There are tonnes of Universities that offer Psychology and Criminology as a Joint Honours degree and still has BPS Accreditation.
    Thanks. That's good!! - I didn't realise that was the case.
    Been ages since I started my Psych degree - and have often heard people complain about their lack of BPS accreditation with their joint hons degree, so made a tentative assumption that it may be like that with joint degrees in Psych/Crim.
    Good luck with the degree. Long journey ahead.

ReputationRep:
    for De Montfort, you still get the BPS accreditation, they still cover everything you need for it
    That's good!!

ReputationRep:
    Been ages since I started my Psych degree - and have often heard people complain about their lack of BPS accreditation with their joint hons degree, so made a tentative assumption that it may be like that with joint degrees in Psych/Crim.
    What uni do you go to? If you dont mind me askiing

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend ONE university that:
    - has any aspect of forensic/criminology but is mostly psychology
    - campus based uni
    - not in wales and not further than nottingham
    - good social life?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't applied for Psychology. I was looking at Psychology degrees before and that's how I know. But I hope I get where I want to be!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend ONE university that:
    - has any aspect of forensic/criminology but is mostly psychology
    - campus based uni
    - not in wales and not further than nottingham
    - good social life?
    Keele?
    http://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/psychology/

It has BPS Accreditation and you can do Psych with Criminology.

ReputationRep:
    thank you! that's so motivating
    What unis do you guys recommend, Ive been on my laptop for hours now looking at different unis, I dont really want to go further than nottingham.

Ive updated my list of courses:
    Southampton* Psychology
    Sussex Psychology
    De montfort Psychology and Criminology
    Loughborough Psychology
    Nottingham Psychology
    That list is so much better! I'd still be tempted to swap de Montfort for something else, maybe Portsmouth, Birmingham, Warwick, Royal Holloway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    That list is so much better! I'd still be tempted to swap de Montfort for something else, maybe Portsmouth, Birmingham, Warwick, Royal Holloway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the only reason I chose De montfort is as a backup option
    And I was considering portsmouth but its not a campus based university! I really want to go to a campus uni

ReputationRep:
    I did Psychology with Criminology for my degree, as long as you ensure you get BPS accreditation for your psychology then I recommend doing that as a joint honours. Both topics are very interesting but if you find that you don't enjoy one of them then you can usually switch to single honours.

ReputationRep:
    What uni do you go to? If you dont mind me askiing
    Sheffield Hallam and currently doing the cognitive neuroscience masters. From Sheffield and wanted to stay local, but unfortunately didn't get into Uni of. Happy with my general experience though - mixed bunch with a nice campus.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't applied for Psychology. I was looking at Psychology degrees before and that's how I know. But I hope I get where I want to be!
    What you going for?

ReputationRep:
    the only reason I chose De montfort is as a backup option
    And I was considering portsmouth but its not a campus based university! I really want to go to a campus uni
    I wouldn't waste an application there tbh, you're better than that so realistically you would never be happy if you ended up there. Also, here's Royal Holloway (beautiful campus) https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/crim...sychology.aspx. You should also be ok slipping a grade with Royal Holloway because they're quite known for being lenient on results day... Obvs no guarantee ofc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What you going for?
    Various Politics Joint Honours, hoping to actually have a career in Politics (btw so jealous of you living in Sheffield Hallam!)

ReputationRep:
    Various Politics Joint Honours, hoping to actually have a career in Politics (btw so jealous of you living in Sheffield Hallam!)
    Bit sick of it after 4 and a bit years though . Don't live, just study there.
    Oo interesting, being a politician would be cool. Politics is admittedly something I know almost nothing about

ReputationRep:
    Bit sick of it after 4 and a bit years though . Don't live, just study there.
    Oo interesting, being a politician would be cool. Politics is admittedly something I know almost nothing about
    Not because of the area, but the MP is someone I really hope to meet SH isn't one I've applied to, I'm planning to firm Cardiff and insure Aberystwyth

I didn't until the 8th of May.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.