Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venus_In_Furs)
    Hey all. I'm currently at PSIA, M1 in International Security with concentrations in Human Rights and Africa. I remember being in your position this time last year, and lots of friendly people on TSR helped me out. So shoot if you have any questions!

Just hope you are all prepared for a LOT OF WORK. It's intense (but good!)
    I remember reading about your comments in last year's thread!
    Would you mind to share what do you mean by "A LOT OF WORK"? Is it a full-day schedule, heavy workload or what? And how do you find PSIA in terms of their career advising services (e.g. internship opportunities and connections with employers)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prohairesis)
    Hello,

I would first of all like to thank you for your kind offer. As a current and already admitted student of the PSIA, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your background.
    I already submitted my application and am now waiting for their answer. I'm particularly afraid about three things.
    First of all, in the personal statement section I didn't really make it clear how I was going to contribute to campus life, at least not in explicit terms. I do believe I answered all other questions clearly though. I was told by an alumnus that the Sciences Po people really make a point about how you're going to contribute to campus life. For that reason, I feel I've missed the boat..
    Secondly, although I have been working for the Alliance Française Bangkok for almost a year now and was once invited to serve as an English-French interpreter at a conference on HIV/AIDS and grant making for 3 days, apart from the said work experience, I do not have any relevant work experience (I'm applying to the Human Rights programme). I do have decent grades (graduated with First Class Honours) and speak 3 languages fluently, and working towards the C1 level in German. But would this be enough?
    Lastly, I applied back on November 23rd and the Admissions office still has not sent me the 'admissible' email. I emailed them asking when I would be getting the admissions result and they said mid-January at the latest. But wouldn't I first have to get the admissible email? All it says on my profile is that my "application is currently under review".

I seem to be jumping at the prospect of liaising with a current Sciences Po student, and am sorry if I give out any negative impressions.
    In any case, bravo for making it to Sciences Po!
    I have a master's in literature and previously worked in communications at a UN agency. Everyone has a range of experiences, some come straight from undergrad, some don't. There's no formula.

The key with the sciences po admin is to be patient. It's very slow and takes ages. You can't change it now, so just sit back and wait...and try relax if you can. They will et back to you, it just might take some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiru)
    Would you mind to share what do you mean by "A LOT OF WORK"? Is it a full-day schedule, heavy workload or what? And how do you find PSIA in terms of their career advising services (e.g. internship opportunities and connections with employers)?
    Heavy workload, yes. I have 8 courses and wrote 12 papers in the past 6 weeks. Plus 4 exams. Everyone is really stressed right now as everything is due at the same time. So yeah towards the end of the semester it gets really hectic. I had 16 hours of classes a week.

BUT this depends so much on which courses you take, some people have more presentations/group work, I chose loads of lectures with exams and essays (I will be choosing more strategically next semester)

Workload varies so much depending on the prof, but regardless it is hard work! Hopefully, it'll be worth it - I do feel I've learned os much these past few months.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiru)
    Oh and in terms of careers stuff I haven't really had time to think about that yet, though they do have links with OECD and our academic advisor sends us internship offers. I can't really answer it properly cos I won't start looking for an internship until next semester. But I think it's ok. We have loads of amazing guest speakers - they had Arnold Schwarenegger on climate change yesterday(!)

ReputationRep:
    Heavy workload, yes. I have 8 courses and wrote 12 papers in the past 6 weeks. Plus 4 exams. Everyone is really stressed right now as everything is due at the same time. So yeah towards the end of the semester it gets really hectic. I had 16 hours of classes a week.

BUT this depends so much on which courses you take, some people have more presentations/group work, I chose loads of lectures with exams and essays (I will be choosing more strategically next semester)

Workload varies so much depending on the prof, but regardless it is hard work! Hopefully, it'll be worth it - I do feel I've learned os much these past few months.

Good luck!
    wow that sounds insane! So 8 courses per semester is the normal study load at PSIA? That sounds quite a lot to me..

ReputationRep:
    I have a master's in literature and previously worked in communications at a UN agency. Everyone has a range of experiences, some come straight from undergrad, some don't. There's no formula.

The key with the sciences po admin is to be patient. It's very slow and takes ages. You can't change it now, so just sit back and wait...and try relax if you can. They will et back to you, it just might take some time.
    Hey,

I have some questions to ask!

Finances

- What bursaries are open to UK students? I am under the impression there isn't anything to help until the second year, if you haven't studied in France before. (I'm referring to the CROUS bursary, how much do you get when you are eligible?)
    - I saw that the french govt gives money towards accommodation? What do you know about this?
    - What is the general cost of living? How much would you recommend saving up in total for the first year (assuming no bursary)

Application Tips

- do you have any advice for the personal statement, anything that you now know after getting in, that SciencesPo especially look for?
    - again same question but specifically for international security

Thanks if you can answer these questions. I find it quite hard to discover this information. I would PM this but it's good as some other people will be wondering the same things I suspect.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am about to apply to the Dual-Masters PSIA/PKU in International Energy (PSIA) and International Relations (PKU) but there are a few things I am unsure.

First, my first degree is a MEng in Civil and Environmental Engineering which can be related to International Energy but not so much to the second one. Is this a good thing in the sense they want technical students as well or is it a bad thing because I will lack the social knowledge?

Second, I only achieved a 2:2 (very close to the 2:1 but still a 2:2) for my Masters even though it's recommended to have at least a 2:1. Does this mean they will skip my application because of the grades or they will still consider it and, if it is strong enough, I could get accepted?

Third and last, I am interested in the question someone asked about campus life, I haven't mentioned it in my Personal Statement how I would contribute to it but I did during my first degree which is shown in my CV. Is it worth mentioning it in the PS as well or it will just make it longer for them to read?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure before I send my application haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocochep;[url="tel:60862491")
    60862491[/url]]Hey everyone!
    I applied and submitted my application for a master in International Development two weeks ago. I received an email today stating that my file was admissible and that I should expect a response by mid-December.
    My background is a BA in Political Science with an economics minor. Good luck to all of us. Sciences Po is a really cool school.
    Floridagator, have you received the email stating whether your file is admissible or not?
    Hi Miiru and Cocochep,I am from India and I have applied for the Masters in International Development course as well. Applied for the program on 11th November and received an 'admissible' letter on 25th November. Haven't received any further mails from the university.Do y'all have prior work experience? Also, may I ask which country you guys belong to?Thanks a lot!

P.S-The wait is killing me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dtox)
    Hey,

I have some questions to ask!

Finances

- What bursaries are open to UK students? I am under the impression there isn't anything to help until the second year, if you haven't studied in France before. (I'm referring to the CROUS bursary, how much do you get when you are eligible?)
    - I saw that the french govt gives money towards accommodation? What do you know about this?
    - What is the general cost of living? How much would you recommend saving up in total for the first year (assuming no bursary)

Application Tips

- do you have any advice for the personal statement, anything that you now know after getting in, that SciencesPo especially look for?
    - again same question but specifically for international security

Thanks if you can answer these questions. I find it quite hard to discover this information. I would PM this but it's good as some other people will be wondering the same things I suspect.
    Hey,

- In the first year you can apply for a Sciences Po Europe bursary, which is means tested. It's on a sliding scale. You can do a simulation on the scpo website somewhere, depends on your parents' income. In the second year, you are eligible to apply for a similar level of support but this time from the French state, through CROUS. But the amounts should be the same, their scales are aligned I believe.
    - Yes you can get a housing benefit called CAF. It should take about €100-150 per month of your rent. You can do a simulation here https://www.caf.fr/ (only in French and not very user friendly: welcome to French administration)
    - General cost of living: I budget €1000 per month, including everything. Around €100/week spending money (food, lunch, anything I need to buy, drinks, everything basically) and the rest is rent/navigo (oyster card). You can do it on less though. I think this is a reasonable average. Many people also have part time jobs (babysitting, teaching English at around 10€/hour though I have no idea how they manage everything). It of course depends on your lifestyle... Hope that helps, I spent a lot of time stressing over money this time last year, frantically saving while I was working... and it has worked out fine

As for the application, I have no idea what they're looking for, but I can tell you what I put in my personal statement and just based on the sort of people I've met here.
    - It should be super tailored - why you want to do this master's, the structure, course offerings, why you will excel at it etc (i.e. I talked about the concentrations, how that was a unique feature, and wanting to study in French)
    -For security I talked about my interest in conflict and the intersection with human rights, that this master would allow me to study these together. If you have work experience, mention that also.
    - I think they like to know you have a career plan - I mentioned a few organizations I'd like to intern at and the sort of job I'd like in 5 years.

Hope that helps! Back to revision....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiru)
    wow that sounds insane! So 8 courses per semester is the normal study load at PSIA? That sounds quite a lot to me..
    Minimum 7 courses in the first and second semester:

3 from your master, 1 regional concentration, 1 thematic concentration, 1 language, 1 formation commune.

In either of the first two semesters you also have to take quantitive skills on top of that. Then you can do optional extras.

Then in semester 3 you chill (only 6 courses).

But you guys know all this I'm sure, cos you have read the syllabus and know your chosen master structure inside out from your application right

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Berry9;61175517]Do y'all have prior work experience? Also, may I ask which country you guys belong to?Thanks a lot!
    For work experience, I had a three-month stint in a civic education program, a lot of volunteer work with Red Cross and Rotary International and two years of part-time work as a administrative assistant in a tech start up in my junior years of college. Graduated from college at the end of last year so I haven't exactly stacked up work experience. I just related everything I had done to various aspects of international development and what I particularly wanted from the program.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

- In the first year you can apply for a Sciences Po Europe bursary, which is means tested. It's on a sliding scale. You can do a simulation on the scpo website somewhere, depends on your parents' income. In the second year, you are eligible to apply for a similar level of support but this time from the French state, through CROUS. But the amounts should be the same, their scales are aligned I believe.
    - Yes you can get a housing benefit called CAF. It should take about €100-150 per month of your rent. You can do a simulation here https://www.caf.fr/ (only in French and not very user friendly: welcome to French administration)
    - General cost of living: I budget €1000 per month, including everything. Around €100/week spending money (food, lunch, anything I need to buy, drinks, everything basically) and the rest is rent/navigo (oyster card). You can do it on less though. I think this is a reasonable average. Many people also have part time jobs (babysitting, teaching English at around 10€/hour though I have no idea how they manage everything). It of course depends on your lifestyle... Hope that helps, I spent a lot of time stressing over money this time last year, frantically saving while I was working... and it has worked out fine

As for the application, I have no idea what they're looking for, but I can tell you what I put in my personal statement and just based on the sort of people I've met here.
    - It should be super tailored - why you want to do this master's, the structure, course offerings, why you will excel at it etc (i.e. I talked about the concentrations, how that was a unique feature, and wanting to study in French)
    -For security I talked about my interest in conflict and the intersection with human rights, that this master would allow me to study these together. If you have work experience, mention that also.
    - I think they like to know you have a career plan - I mentioned a few organizations I'd like to intern at and the sort of job I'd like in 5 years.

Hope that helps! Back to revision....
    Thanks so much, so helpful.

Do you budget that for 1000 euros per month for all 12/24 months?

ReputationRep:
    Minimum 7 courses in the first and second semester:

3 from your master, 1 regional concentration, 1 thematic concentration, 1 language, 1 formation commune.

In either of the first two semesters you also have to take quantitive skills on top of that. Then you can do optional extras.

Then in semester 3 you chill (only 6 courses).

But you guys know all this I'm sure, cos you have read the syllabus and know your chosen master structure inside out from your application right
    Oh yea haha of course I did read a lot about that, just didn't count how many courses there actually are :P
    One follow up question - so if I choose to do optional extras, does it mean that in another semester, I could possibly have less workload?
    And do you know anything about people who're admitted to the double degree programmes? Actually, I just got my offer from PSIA yesterday But of course, my double degree application (LSE-Sciences Po) is still under review. Is there any chance that you know around how many students they take in for any/ this double degree programme per cohort? I personally assume that I have a low chance of getting in, since I just have an impression that these double degree programmes are extremely hard to get in, but I might be wrong!

(Original post by Berry9)
    Hi Miiru and Cocochep,I am from India and I have applied for the Masters in International Development course as well. Applied for the program on 11th November and received an 'admissible' letter on 25th November. Haven't received any further mails from the university.Do y'all have prior work experience? Also, may I ask which country you guys belong to?Thanks a lot!

P.S-The wait is killing me!!
    Oh actually, I didn't apply for the Masters in International Development, though I struggled if I should have! Have you gotten your result yet?
    I am in my final-year of undergraduate studies, so I don't have much work experience either. I interned during semester in the past two years (this year I did too, but in an unrelated field so I didn't even put it in my application). I worked as Research Assistant at my university and also interned at an EU-funded institution overseas. And that's pretty much it! I do think I did a lot of related ECAs (e.g. volunteering, leadership positions, MUN, etc.) and had a lot of international exposure (had so much to fill out in the overseas experiences part) though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Miiru,
    I also got my offer for MID yesterday!!! ☺☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocochep)
    Hey Miiru,
    I also got my offer for MID yesterday!!! ☺☺
    That's great! Congratulations! Are you planning to attend?
    I applied for a number of schools, and am still waiting for the other results (this is my first offer). But Sciences Po is ranked very high on my list, and I think it'd be easier to secure funding in France than here in the UK (I'm an international student)

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, Cocochep and Miiru! So I guess I'll be seeing you guys next year? Got my 'admitted' letter yesterday too

Cocochep, have you received your student ID and other details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dtox)
    Thanks so much, so helpful.

Do you budget that for 1000 euros per month for all 12/24 months?
    For the three semesters I'm in Paris. For the internship, I'm hoping to budget less. In you do it in France, you are paid (it's the law, it's only 500€/month but still that's half my month's budget) or I'll be abroad and life will be cheaper (unless I end up in Geneva...)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=miiru;61208271]Oh yea haha of course I did read a lot about that, just didn't count how many courses there actually are :P
    One follow up question - so if I choose to do optional extras, does it mean that in another semester, I could possibly have less workload?
    And do you know anything about people who're admitted to the double degree programmes? Actually, I just got my offer from PSIA yesterday But of course, my double degree application (LSE-Sciences Po) is still under review. Is there any chance that you know around how many students they take in for any/ this double degree programme per cohort? I personally assume that I have a low chance of getting in, since I just have an impression that these double degree programmes are extremely hard to get in, but I might be wrong!

Only if you do a projet collectif. It's kinda confusing, check the website, it explains it better than I could! I'm doing something else, so it's just on top of everything else.

I know a couple of people on the LSE-Sciences Po dual degree but they're a small group, maybe 10 or so in total? Not sure though. So yeah I guess it's more selective. I didn't apply cos I wanna spend two years in Paris and do an internship (and I can't afford LSE fees/London life...!) But it's a great programme.

ReputationRep:
    [
    Cocochep, have you received your student ID and other details?[/QUOTE

Congratulations too! No, I haven't. At least the wait for an admissions result is over!! The rest can take it's time. 😃☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiru)
    That's great! Congratulations! Are you planning to attend?
    I applied for a number of schools, and am still waiting for the other results (this is my first offer). But Sciences Po is ranked very high on my list, and I think it'd be easier to secure funding in France than here in the UK (I'm an international student)
    I am also waiting for decisions from other schools but ScPo checked all the things I was looking for in a grad school and specifically for ID. So I am pretty set on attending unless I get better funding offers from the other schools(which I do not fancy as much as ScPo). The other schools are in the US though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.