Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you wearing a poppy this week? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    I do wear one on Remembrance Day because we have to at school
    I don't wear one normally because it falls off and I lose it within two hours so I gave up

Respect anyone's decision to not wear one, though
    Your school forced you to wear a poppy?

ReputationRep:
    No. I didn't even realise it was Remembrance weekend until I saw it trending on Twitter :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    At my school they used to force us to wear poppies too

ReputationRep:
    I'm not wearing that I don't stand for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    I'm Irish .
    Same

ReputationRep:
    Indeed they did, if we came in without one on the day we were often given detentions by senior staff. Now I think of it that probably isn't allowed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    They did, and I respect them for that, but many brave Irishmen were killed by the British, so I refuse to wear or pay for a symbol that shows respect to them.
    It is not about paying respect just to British soldiers, but to all the fallen soldiers and other people during the war. Irish, British, Russian, German and many more soldiers of other nationalities gave their lives just because government ordered them to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I lived there for ten years before coming here if that counts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I lived there for ten years before coming here if that counts?
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

No.I don't even know where to get one anyways.I probably rather wear a white and red one.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

No.I don't even know where to get one anyways.I probably rather wear a white and red one.
    There's usually people selling them in most places in the city centre, major supermarkets, etc.

I don't wear one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm concerned about the environmental implications of mass-scale poppy production. That's a lot of plastic and paper each year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and I wear it with pride.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a white one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    At my school they used to force us to wear poppies too
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Indeed they did, if we came in without one on the day we were often given detentions by senior staff. Now I think of it that probably isn't allowed...
    Doesn't that defeat the point of wearing the poppy? Surely it should be done out of actual respect as opposed to force.

ReputationRep:
    No. But I do have a help the heroes onesie

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't that defeat the point of wearing the poppy? Surely it should be done out of actual respect as opposed to force.
    It does. It's one of the ways the poppy has been misused and misrepresented over recent years, this thread is proof of that.

ReputationRep:
    We only had to wear one for our school's memorial service as quite a few people from my school died in both world wars. I didn't really care about doing it tbh. It's just a piece of red paper and costs 10p.

ReputationRep:
    Why are/aren't you wearing a poppy for remembrance day?
    No. Why? Because I am a left wing hippy and don't like the symbolism attached to poppies or any other symbols for that matter. I just remember the fallen in my own way, in silence without any poppies.

ReputationRep:
    I am not wearing it because unfortunately I forgot to bring money to school on Friday when they were selling them. Hopefully I can get one today if I go out somewhere, but I have work to do.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.