The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English issues

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by wordshark
Thanks. I've finished my two folio essays so I'm not too far behind, but they were always my strength. My two books are Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World--overdone I know, but I actually enjoyed reading them. I'm not short on stuff to write, although I'm unsure on the finer points. Are we meant to include critical analysis from other sources? Looking at the old advh English guidance online, I worry if I'm missing information on things like referencing etc. While I appreciate the dissertation has been reduced in size, I'm not sure whether demands have been too.

Secondary literature isn't required to pass or anything, according to my teacher - I didn't reference any critical works directly in the footnotes of my dissertation, but I did put down the critical books/ articles I read in my bibliography. The only references I believe that are actually required are those of the quotes from your Primary texts in the form of footnotes. :biggrin:
Hi, im currently taking higher this year but I'm considering advanced higher next year. I'n fairy good at higher and got 80% in my prelim and obviously hope to improve a bit as well. I was wondering, is advanced higher worth it? I really just wanna know your opinions and if it's worth taking it! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by alana_p
Hi, im currently taking higher this year but I'm considering advanced higher next year. I'n fairy good at higher and got 80% in my prelim and obviously hope to improve a bit as well. I was wondering, is advanced higher worth it? I really just wanna know your opinions and if it's worth taking it! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

90% of my class were As at higher and only 2-3 people (myself included) from 16 got an A in the prelim.
I'd advise you only to take it if you genuinely enjoy and want to learn how to properly analyse literature on your own terms - albeit most of this learning will be self-sufficient.
With Adv. Higher there is no paint by numbers, no regurgitating what you have been taught in class, and a much greater emphasis on expressing yourself eloquently and putting forth more original interpretations.
With roughly 5000 words minimum total coursework (3000 word dissertation, 2 x 1000 word folio pieces) it's no small task.
If you read books for the story and decide if it's good or not on how much you enjoy it then don't take it; if you read a book and decide if it's good based on the literary techniques, and whether the author effectively conveyed what they set out to explore; regardless of how much the book satisfied your own personal whims, then take it. (although I'd say that's more of a general answer to the question of studying literature haha)
If you want to study English in uni at any stage then take it, if not, save yourself and take something else - I myself ( going on to do English at uni) am only barely enjoying the class (mainly not enjoying cause of my teacher, not the actual coursework) but my friends who are going on to study other things have grown to absolutely despise the subject; and with the copious amount of coursework - many have just given up at this stage.
Original post by alana_p

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends what your strengths in higher were. If your best/favourite area was the folio essays then I think you would like ADVH English. 60% of your grade comes from work outside the formal exam. 60% ! What's more is your not as restricted by what things you write about. If you loved writing discursively then you can do a persuasive and an informative essay. They no longer force you to write both creatively and discursively. (No more being forced to write a reflective essay yay!) There's no close reading anymore. Your exam is a textual analysis paper, and a literary study paper. The textual analysis gives you one question to analysis a text from the usual genres of writing. You are expected to give an essay length response, but you're not forced to write it in the style of an essay. The literary study is basically the critical reading from higher except you have to write it on more than one text. They give you six opened ended questions rather than the three they give you in higher. Have a look at the specimen papers and see what you think. I find the course to be less work overall than higher. As you can see in this thread, there is an epidemic a crap ADVH English teachers so be prepared for one too. If you take the subject, you will be doing much more independent study than you have before (which I suppose is good prep for uni).
Reply 24
^we don't need to answer the TA in the form of an essay?? 😮😮
Thank you for the answers guys! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JM_1998
^we don't need to answer the TA in the form of an essay?? 😮😮

At least that's what my teacher said and I never did in my prelim. I still got an A too. I just bullet pointed my answer. The marking scheme does note that technical accuracy is not assessed in the paper.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
At least that's what my teacher said and I never did in my prelim. I still got an A too. I just bullet pointed my answer. The marking scheme does note that technical accuracy is not assessed in the paper.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

We've been made to write out proper cohesive, stylistic essays :s-smilie: - I wrote a 6 page one on "London Burning" by Naomi Mitchison in my prelim and my teacher just gave me 15/20 because she thought it was "good, maybe excellent" but she struggled with my handwriting a bit (although she's the only teacher that complains about it and half the words she circled as "illegible" could be deduced contextually but oh well ya know)
And my teacher's biggest gripe with us is our style in essays and stuff - I thought by technical accuracy not being assessed it just meant you can f*ck up RE spelling and punctuation and stuff but if it means what you say then I wouldn't be surprised lol. My teacher is just notoriously super harsh with her marking, she expects us all to be little literary scholars just through god given talent.
Although I asked her recently and she told me my dissertation is band one and I'm submitting the final draft tomorrow :biggrin: - but out of 16 people only 1 other person besides me is finished - with the majority of others being no where near completing it fully redrafted
Original post by JM_1998
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

We've been made to write out proper cohesive, stylistic essays :s-smilie: - I wrote a 6 page one on "London Burning" by Naomi Mitchison in my prelim and my teacher just gave me 15/20 because she thought it was "good, maybe excellent" but she struggled with my handwriting a bit (although she's the only teacher that complains about it and half the words she circled as "illegible" could be deduced contextually but oh well ya know)
And my teacher's biggest gripe with us is our style in essays and stuff - I thought by technical accuracy not being assessed it just meant you can f*ck up RE spelling and punctuation and stuff but if it means what you say then I wouldn't be surprised lol. My teacher is just notoriously super harsh with her marking, she expects us all to be little literary scholars just through god given talent.
Although I asked her recently and she told me my dissertation is band one and I'm submitting the final draft tomorrow :biggrin: - but out of 16 people only 1 other person besides me is finished - with the majority of others being no where near completing it fully redrafted

Ive not much faith in my own teacher so knowing my luck I'll write it in bullet points and fail the exam! I'm finding out how my dissertation first draft went down tomorrow...
Reply 29
Considering the coursework weighting you'd probably still pass with a good grade anyways haha
And I hope it goes well :h:
Reply 30
It depends what your strengths in higher were. If your best/favourite area was the folio essays then I think you would like ADVH English. 60% of your grade comes from work outside the formal exam. 60% ! What's more is your not as restricted by what things you write about. If you loved writing discursively then you can do a persuasive and an informative essay. They no longer force you to write both creatively and discursively. (No more being forced to write a reflective essay yay!) There's no close reading anymore. Your exam is a textual analysis paper, and a literary study paper. The textual analysis gives you one question to analysis a text from the usual genres of writing. You are expected to give an essay length response, but you're not forced to write it in the style of an essay. The literary study is basically the critical reading from higher except you have to write it on more than one text. They give you six opened ended questions rather than the three they give you in higher. Have a look at the specimen papers and see what you think. I find the course to be less work overall than higher. As you can see in this thread, there is an epidemic a crap ADVH English teachers so be prepared for one too. If you take the subject, you will be doing much more independent study than you have before (which I suppose is good prep for uni).

I agree with that. I don't even study the course but the AH English teacher at our school is notorious for poor quality and bizarre teaching. I had her for Higher last year and let's just say it was a bit of a miracle I got an A in it...
Good luck everyone sitting ADVH English tomorrow. What is everyones thoughts on the literary study? Our teacher could only be bothered to teach us drama so if a suitable question doesn't come up then I'm ******. I just hope my coursework, which is usually a strength, can pull me through.
Reply 32
Soooooooo

How'd everyone find the exam? 😁
Original post by JM_1998
Soooooooo

How'd everyone find the exam? 😁

I could of screamed in joy when I saw that question about two lead females because it was the one I was hoping for. It was perfect for Oscar Wilde. I could of then burst out crying when I saw the question was for tragedies. I ended up choosing the question about comedy and seriousness, but the questions in general were crap. The textual analysis was really depressing. I kinda wanted to sob to myself about the poor mother rather than do the paper. It was weird because our prelim question was on a different story which was also about a mother who lost her child.

How about you?
Reply 34
I could of screamed in joy when I saw that question about two lead females because it was the one I was hoping for. It was perfect for Oscar Wilde. I could of then burst out crying when I saw the question was for tragedies. I ended up choosing the question about comedy and seriousness, but the questions in general were crap. The textual analysis was really depressing. I kinda wanted to sob to myself about the poor mother rather than do the paper. It was weird because our prelim question was on a different story which was also about a mother who lost her child.

How about you?

Ohhhh no, that sucks about the questions. I did Sylvia Plath poetry and actually cried for joy when the question about love came up - especially cause it specified talking about different kinds of love as I'd been told before by my teacher that mixing poems about romantic and parental love isn't advised, but the question actually specified it! :biggrin::biggrin: So I did, Medusa, Daddy, and Poppies in July talking about Maternal, Paternal and Romantic love.

I did the short story for the TA too, I did read the poem but nothing really stuck out for me. I think that went pretty well, I mainly talked about how she uses the dog as projection for her grief and anthropomorphises him to reflect her own feelings + the use of her husband as a foil. Also compared her to the dog whisperer at one point :lol:
Original post by JM_1998
Ohhhh no, that sucks about the questions. I did Sylvia Plath poetry and actually cried for joy when the question about love came up - especially cause it specified talking about different kinds of love as I'd been told before by my teacher that mixing poems about romantic and parental love isn't advised, but the question actually specified it! :biggrin::biggrin: So I did, Medusa, Daddy, and Poppies in July talking about Maternal, Paternal and Romantic love.

I did the short story for the TA too, I did read the poem but nothing really stuck out for me. I think that went pretty well, I mainly talked about how she uses the dog as projection for her grief and anthropomorphises him to reflect her own feelings + the use of her husband as a foil. Also compared her to the dog whisperer at one point :lol:

Yeah I said the dog is metaphor for the mother but then I wondered was it best to call the mother a dog:laugh:! I also talked about how the chair represented the mother (alone in an empty space) and how she never mentions the baby by name (please say she doesn't) and a bunch of other stuff on word choice. I ended it with a bunch of BS about how she's not actually teaching the dog about death but actually coming to terms with death herself.
Reply 36
Yeah I said the dog is metaphor for the mother but then I wondered was it best to call the mother a dog:laugh:! I also talked about how the chair represented the mother (alone in an empty space) and how she never mentions the baby by name (please say she doesn't) and a bunch of other stuff on word choice. I ended it with a bunch of BS about how she's not actually teaching the dog about death but actually coming to terms with death herself.

Nah both her and the baby remain nameless, and you say "BS" but that's basically what it was haha
I felt bad for the poor dog being subjected to all her weirdness, like her shoving his face in a dead squirrel ffs :lol:
did anyone do the poem for textual analysis? everyone said it was really easy but i feel like it just didn't go well
Reply 38
Original post by baconwoo
did anyone do the poem for textual analysis? everyone said it was really easy but i feel like it just didn't go well

I spoke to my teacher post exam and she was glad most of our class did the short story as it was by far the easiest choice (although I know of at least one person who did the poem.) What did you write about for it?

(For me the fact I didn't see many apparent techniques and the very open ended question put me off it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending