Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Yeah further maths is bit better in that regard. FP1 is certainly getting a lot better at testing understanding, but D1... XD that's LITERALLY just algorithms.
    Hahaha yeah - that's why I loved D1

Well, that and I do computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_H_E)
    lol or maybe i am just dumb:/
    edit: btw if u just rearrange
    4 sin2ϴ-1=0
    u get
    sin2ϴ=1/4, then u have a same problem?
    Yeah. sinϴ=½ and cosϴ=sqrt{3}/2 have the same solutions, I was just following on from where you left off. Hope this helps!

p.s. you should know this result as ϴ=30 degrees or pi/6 radians (0<ϴ<90/0<ϴ<pi/2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    True, it's just usually I find people seem to learn better when you're patient with them
    Sorry if I seemed impatient with my comments, didn't feel like I was but I'll take that into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazel37)
    Just square root cos^2 so you get
    Cos x = +/- root3/2
    The use the usual cast diagram to solve for your angles!
    So if you had the interval 0<x<360
    the angles would be: 30,150,210,330
    yup u r right (ans are at the back, but couldnt figure out how to get there
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Just square root cos^2 so you get
    Cos x = +/- root3/2
    The use the usual cast diagram to solve for your angles!
    So if you had the interval 0<x<360
    the angles would be: 30,150,210,330
    Ngl, I've never used a CAST diagram before

Plus, try to refrain from posting solutions. It doesn't help the user learn, and it's technically against site rules.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Sorry if I seemed impatient with my comments, didn't feel like I was but I'll take that into account.
    It's OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Ngl, I've never used a CAST diagram before

Plus, try to refrain from posting solutions. It doesn't help the user learn, and it's technically against site rules.
    The CAST method is the bomb.
    Soz, I couldnt think of another way to help. I wasnt even aware they were rules tbh.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The CAST method is the bomb.
    Soz, I couldnt think of another way to help. I wasnt even aware they were rules tbh.
    Don't even know how the things work - it's those horrid circles isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Well you're forgetting that you need to consider the negative square root too.
    Sorry, I forgot to type it. I completely agree with what you said about people being taught to memorise identities etc. rather than getting to grips with the reason why something works - that's why I enjoy STEP so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vectorpi)
    Sorry, I forgot to type it. I completely agree with what you said about people being taught to memorise identities etc. rather than getting to grips with the reason why something works - that's why I enjoy STEP so much.
    Exactly why I enjoy STEP as well! (Gosh there's a lot of people on TSR doing STEP!) The only qualm I have is that A-Level does nothing to prepare you for things like STEP, so it really takes some getting used to for a lot of people. STEP is a great example of what real maths is .

ReputationRep:
    Exactly why I enjoy STEP as well! (Gosh there's a lot of people on TSR doing STEP!) The only qualm I have is that A-Level does nothing to prepare you for things like STEP, so it really takes some getting used to for a lot of people. STEP is a great example of what real maths is .
    It is a bit of a shame really, I know the first time I looked at a STEP question, my confidence plummeted, because, despite having a great maths department, I'd never been introduced to something like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vectorpi)
    It is a bit of a shame really, I know the first time I looked at a STEP question, my confidence plummeted, because, despite having a great maths department, I'd never been introduced to something like that...
    Felt a bit like that when I looked at a STEP III paper XD.
    But I'm now pretty confident with STEP I. I've been doing individual questions under timed conditions and it's going well. I think the idea of doing most of my prep under timed conditions is going to help a lot for the exam.
    You applying to Cambridge for maths? Or Warwick? Or both like me? XD

ReputationRep:
    Felt a bit like that when I looked at a STEP III paper XD.
    But I'm now pretty confident with STEP I. I've been doing individual questions under timed conditions and it's going well. I think the idea of doing most of my prep under timed conditions is going to help a lot for the exam.
    You applying to Cambridge for maths? Or Warwick? Or both like me? XD
    I reckon I'll apply to both, but I need to do more research over the summer into Warick and perhaps some of the other London unis

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.