The Student Room Group

Finishing an incomplete Maths A-Level

Scroll to see replies

That's all fantastic information.

Of course, the administrative fee isn't a groundless charge, if in some cases excessive. I've just experienced a departure from school, where exams were (not just by myself) taken so lightly. It's incredible to me to discover that the opportunity to sit those exams, given as it was to every student free of charge, had such a high value!

It's mainly because of how discreet all the paperwork and finances involved in exams was when I was at school that I had to start this thread; because I can't see any structured path laid out for people who want to take exams independently (or have I just not encountered it?). I don't expect exams, which take so much effort to create, distribute and accurately mark on such a huge scale, to be free for someone like me, who has messed up the good opportunity I had, but I do wish there was a framework - or a more visible framework - to let people back into A-Levels and other really important qualifications.

At the moment I may be able to sit these exams and receive guidance at a college where a friend of my parents works, but I'm too aware of how screwed I would be without a special arrangement like that, a privilege I won't waste, as well as the information you guys have given me. Why isn't this absolutely essential information more easily available to people outside the conventional education system? And why is it that the difference of not attending a school makes entering for A-Level examinations so difficult?

It can't be right that my route to university depends more upon hashed-out arrangements with local schools, saving enough money to pay to have my work marked and the altruistic help of people like you than it does upon my academic ability.

I am incredibly fortunate if I end up sitting these exams, I feel. What happens to people - teenagers, like me - who aren't helped enormously by strangers on an internet forum, or can't get the hundreds of pounds together by the February deadline, or aren't accepted by schools on the basis of personal connections? How many people does this system deter from making a positive movement in their lives?

I don't know whether I think this is unjust because I already have a prejudice against the system. Or maybe because I'm still young and living at home and have no experience of things like this. After all, however unjust it might be, it ultimately won't stop me from getting my A-Levels, so perhaps there's nothing really to complain about. But people should be encouraged to get educated, and especially to educate themselves and that has not been my experience so far.

This was my first post on The Student Room, thank you all for your kindness and please keep helping people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

I'm doing all my AS level exams privately, including MEI OCR C1, C2, an S1 and the new OCR A levels for Biology and Chemistry.

I was wondering if there is any chance that I can apply for my second year in a college, after receiving my results. However, the college that I want to apply to has a different exam board to the ones I'm doing (AQA for all my subjects)
and there is a coursework element for MEI OCR C3 which should be submitted in the first year, which I only learned about a few days ago so it's too late to complete and submit that now.

I want to know if I can apply to do AQA C3, C4 and S2 at the college. Thanks
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Hi,

I'm doing all my AS level exams privately, including MEI OCR C1, C2, an S1 and the new OCR A levels for Biology and Chemistry.

I want to know if I can apply to do AQA C3, C4 and S2 at the college. Thanks

Yes you can transfer credit for your maths AS results and complete the A level with a different examiner. If you need to resit any AS exams they would have to be with the original examiner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending