Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I criticised my teacher at parents evening and now he hates me! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Not even "I'm sorry it sounded so harsh and unexpected but my intention was to give you constructive criticism so that everyone learns better. I do appreciate your efforts"?
    No, no apology, nothing. You can't be sorry for him asking for an opinion and not getting the one he wanted, that's his problem not yours. If you apologise it's essentially saying "Sorry for criticising you, I won't do it again" and you'll be bored out your mind in his classes again.

Also, can I ask, what do you mean "his attitude"; is he rude, quiet, not assured etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    lmao you're so innocent haha

Don't other think it mate. Just apologise to him saying you didn't mean it in ab ad way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    No, no apology, nothing. You can't be sorry for him asking for an opinion and not getting the one he wanted, that's his problem not yours. If you apologise it's essentially saying "Sorry for criticising you, I won't do it again" and you'll be bored out your mind in his classes again.

Also, can I ask, what do you mean "his attitude"; is he rude, quiet, not assured etc. ?
    He's rude?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...I might make a little apology but I won't take back what I said.
    (Original post by AzimH)
    lmao you're so innocent haha

Don't other think it mate. Just apologise to him saying you didn't mean it in ab ad way

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So everyone thought my geography teacher wasn't good and they disliked him. People were complaining about how he teaches and his attitude. So I decided at parents evening to speak up. He asked me is there anything I want to say and I just had to because I believed it would improve our learning time. So I gave him some criticisms and he treated me so well so I thought pfft it won't be that bad. I dont wanna go into details of what I said.

I had a lesson after the parents evening and he looked like he wanted to cry. He looked heartbroken and his tone of voice sounded like he was going to rage. It was so awkward in the class and I couldn't even look at him. I was so scared and I wanted to cry lol. I feel like I should apologise but what I said was true and people are telling me I did the right thing.

What should I do?
    Generally speaking if you insult people they will take offense. Congratulations for learning how humans work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...I might make a little apology but I won't take back what I said.
    Of course you shouldn't mate! Stand your ground but apologise so that you don't look malicious but say that you meant no harm, just saying what you and the other students think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Generally speaking if you insult people they will take offense. Congratulations for learning how humans work.
    Love the sarcasm xD
    So I actually insulted him instead of giving him constructive criticism lol?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So everyone thought my geography teacher wasn't good and they disliked him. People were complaining about how he teaches and his attitude. So I decided at parents evening to speak up. He asked me is there anything I want to say and I just had to because I believed it would improve our learning time. So I gave him some criticisms and he treated me so well so I thought pfft it won't be that bad. I dont wanna go into details of what I said.

I had a lesson after the parents evening and he looked like he wanted to cry. He looked heartbroken and his tone of voice sounded like he was going to rage. It was so awkward in the class and I couldn't even look at him. I was so scared and I wanted to cry lol. I feel like I should apologise but what I said was true and people are telling me I did the right thing.

What should I do?
    You legend. If it affects you that much just apologise to him

ReputationRep:
    And I thought it was bad that I told my Physics teacher I was planning on dropping Physics after he was basically discussing the A2 course

But no, you shouldn't apologise, just continue learning as usual, and hope for an improvement, act as if nothing has changed between the two of you

ReputationRep:
    Love the sarcasm xD
    So I actually insulted him instead of giving him constructive criticism lol?
    Well think about it from his perspective. He's gone through x many years of uni and amassed thousands of pounds in debt for the privilege of being able to teach. Now some jumped up little teenager who probably hasn't even got a GCSE is insulting him to his face and telling him he's c***. Kid, there's OFSTED standards for a reason, unless you are an OFSTED inspector you have no right to be nasty to your superiors. Show some respect and leave the criticism to those who actually know what they're talking about. Apologise to him and consider yourself lucky we aren't still in the days of caning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbw)
    too late, read it! Besides, how did you press submit by accident after you've written "
    omg i havent finished typing and it got published! Dont read it!" and there isn't an "edited" at the bottom?
    aaahahahahahahha

ReputationRep:
    Well think about it from his perspective. He's gone through x many years of uni and amassed thousands of pounds in debt for the privilege of being able to teach. Now some jumped up little teenager who probably hasn't even got a GCSE is insulting him to his face and telling him he's c***. Kid, there's OFSTED standards for a reason, unless you are an OFSTED inspector you have no right to be nasty to your superiors. Show some respect and leave the criticism to those who actually know what they're talking about. Apologise to him and consider yourself lucky we aren't still in the days of caning
    Well, your comment certainly shows you're an AngryRedhead. But I'm a student and it's important that the students are educated properly and that a large number of people are happy. Last year the highest grade for that subject was only a C. If I don't say anything then students will continue to be demoralised and we won't achieve high grades.

Plus he has a degree in a subject that's completely different, and actually he has no debt because at his time university was free.

I respect and appreciate your opinion so thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, your comment certainly shows you're an AngryRedhead. But I'm a student and it's important that the students are educated properly and that a large number of people are happy. Last year the highest grade for that subject was only a C. If I don't say anything then students will continue to be demoralised and we won't achieve high grades.

Plus he has a degree in a subject that's completely different, and actually he has no debt because at his time university was free.

I respect and appreciate your opinion so thank you.
    I'm not angry but I do get annoyed when people don't show authority figures the respect that they deserve. He was hired to teach you by the school probably for a good reason.

In all fairness, if his degree isn't relevant to the subject then that's fair enough but still, blaming the teacher for bad grades is stupid. You have to take responsibility for yourself at some point. What happens when you get to a-level and Uni and you get bad grades then are you going to blame the teacher?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not angry but I do get annoyed when people don't show authority figures the respect that they deserve. He was hired to teach you by the school probably for a good reason.

In all fairness, if his degree isn't relevant to the subject then that's fair enough but still, blaming the teacher for bad grades is stupid. You have to take responsibility for yourself at some point. What happens when you get to a-level and Uni and you get bad grades then are you going to blame the teacher?
    Ahh okay, I understand. Last year he used to walk out of the class with his phone and tell us to copy stuff from the board. So I highlighted that because I and other students didn't think it was helpful, and it's better not to repeat that for other year groups. Of course, it is our responsibility of putting the effort in to get the highest grades possible, but the teacher has to have some input in it. A class achieving C grades and lower compared to a class getting higher grades clearly shows that the teacher has to work harder to ensure we have sufficient resources and have been guided enough (not spoon fed though).

P.S. I'm not looking for a debate so sorry about arguing, just felt it was a necessity to reply to clear things up. I understand your point and I appreciate that. When I see him again, I will talk to him.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better now and I know what to do when I see him again

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay, I understand. Last year he used to walk out of the class with his phone and tell us to copy stuff from the board. So I highlighted that because I and other students didn't think it was helpful, and it's better not to repeat that for other year groups. Of course, it is our responsibility of putting the effort in to get the highest grades possible, but the teacher has to have some input in it. A class achieving C grades and lower compared to a class getting higher grades clearly shows that the teacher has to work harder to ensure we have sufficient resources and have been guided enough (not spoon fed though).

P.S. I'm not looking for a debate so sorry about arguing, just felt it was a necessity to reply to clear things up. I understand your point and I appreciate that. When I see him again, I will talk to him.
    Okay, fair enough, that is fairly bad teaching; he might have had a personal issue he needed to deal with though which is why he was so sensitive. Did he do it for only a couple of minutes or for the entire lesson?

I still wouldn't have told him directly though, I probably would have had a word with the head of year but still, you did it your way.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, fair enough, that is fairly bad teaching; he might have had a personal issue he needed to deal with though which is why he was so sensitive. Did he do it for only a couple of minutes or for the entire lesson?

I still wouldn't have told him directly though, I probably would have had a word with the head of year but still, you did it your way.
    No last year he would set a task which only took a couple of minutes and then for the rest of the lesson we just sat there whilst he was typing away on his computer. Or he would go on his phone to call someone. I think he was applying for a job (it sounded like it) I can't make assumptions though. He doesn't do it anymore and this year he's teaching a lot better now (probably because we are in our last year). I didn't want to include the head of year as I thought would cause more problems.

ReputationRep:
    No last year he would set a task which only took a couple of minutes and then for the rest of the lesson we just sat there whilst he was typing away on his computer. Or he would go on his phone to call someone. I think he was applying for a job (it sounded like it) I can't make assumptions though. He doesn't do it anymore and this year he's teaching a lot better now (probably because we are in our last year). I didn't want to include the head of year as I thought would cause more problems.
    Fair does, that's pretty bad teaching IMO. We used to have a history teacher in our HS who would take the mick out of students by saying 'come on time to get the one brain cell working.' Shocking really

ReputationRep:
    Fair does, that's pretty bad teaching IMO. We used to have a history teacher in our HS who would take the mick out of students by saying 'come on time to get the one brain cell working.' Shocking really
    Sorry that made me laugh Yeah, it is.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.