Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you for or against euthanasia? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you support Euthanasia?
    Yes
    67.77%
    No
    18.61%
    I don't have an opinion
    13.63%

ReputationRep:
    My body my right. If I have the right to live I sure as hell should have the right to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I can't think of a secular argument against it
    Sanctity of life is not exclusively a religious idea.

But otherwise there are plenty. In the US and in Europe already we have seen what happens when this bridge is crssed - google it. One guy in the US had a letter telling him that while cancer treatment was too expensive, euthansia would be offered for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geek_shay)
    So I'm doing a paired discussion in English,about euthanasia and I'm agains it.
    So can anyone give me any points that are against and what would the counter arguments be ...
    1. Slippery slope, situation in Netherlands where doctors warn it is "out of control"
    2. Risk of terminally ill people feeling pressured to end their life early.
    3. Making palliative care better is a much better way of helping people suffering.
    4. Regulating it would be difficult and we could in effect legalise murder.

ReputationRep:
    . even if your an atheist ,studies actually shown that euthanasias patients actually regret agreeing to it ,due to it being more painful then the pain that they are already in.
    Do you even think through the garbage that you post?

ReputationRep:
    . even if your an atheist ,studies actually shown that euthanasias patients actually regret agreeing to it ,due to it being more painful then the pain that they are already in.
    WTF? Did they have to fill in a questionnaire afterwards or was it based on interviews?

ReputationRep:
    You also have the slippery slope and guilt arguments for against

Personally, I agree with euthanasia in principle, but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to end someone's life in practise
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I voted yes, because in most situations I would say yes. However:
    - as others have said, you have people who aren't mentally able to make these decisions
    - you have the issue of proving they wanted to die (as opposed to family wanting them to die and wanting their money)

But we allow animals to die and I think it's cruel that we allow humans to live. You then have some humans who end up dying a very slow and painful death.

I don't think there's an easy answer tbh. I think the option should be there. But you've got people who need help to die in a peaceful way and well, that's classed as murder, isn't it?

ReputationRep:

Wouldn't use this argument in your debate
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This post is entertainment gold. Kudos to you, my friend. Kudos. :lol:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I can't think of a secular argument against it
    How about the fact that 75% of doctors are opposed and would refuse to participate - and this percentage is much higher for doctors working in end of life care (over 90%) and so any change in the law risks losing some of the most experience professionals from an already underfunded and resourced are.

And this is for Assisted Dying *not* euthanasia. http://www.carenotkilling.org.uk/about/faqs/

The law already allows for the withdrawal of treatment http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34872793 it just also requires that deaths that may be assisted suicides are *investigated* (which generally takes place with a lot of compassion for those involved).

ReputationRep:
    Voted yes.
    I would want the option to kill myself, if I was in such a bad state as to have not a glimmer at any quality of life.
    The only argument I can think of realistically is that of the slippery slope. This can surely be countermeasured by extremely tight regulation.

ReputationRep:
    we should all have to right to die; if our quality of life is so poor that life becomes a burden, that is wrong. No one should suffer unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    I for one fully support the existence of young people in Asia. You nay sayers bow your heads in shame

ReputationRep:
    I think its good to have the debate, but i'd worry about older people feeling pressured by their families and so on to do it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    So can anyone give me any points that are against and what would the counter arguments be ...
    I had to do something similar when I was in school and used this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/euthanas...gainst_1.shtml

Also, if you wanted study help, probably should have posted there.

ReputationRep:
    I am against Euthanasia because I don't want to be forced to sign a signature for my own destruction. Don't want to be made into a lamp shade.

ReputationRep:
    I am glad this poll is overwhelmingly a yes vote.

ReputationRep:
    For.

A person owns their own life and should have the right to end it if they are of sound mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    This should be the easiest discussion to win.

Euthanasia is not assisted suicide. Euthanasia does not require any form of consent from the person being killed. Look up the definition and the actions of Harold Shipman.
    Very few people are in favour of euthanising humans the way we do pets because they recognise the importance of informed consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    This should be the easiest discussion to win.

Euthanasia is not assisted suicide. Euthanasia does not require any form of consent from the person being killed. Look up the definition and the actions of Harold Shipman.
    Very few people are in favour of euthanising humans the way we do pets because they recognise the importance of informed consent.
    I don't think you've understood the difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide.
    Euthanasia is when a doctor would end your life usually to stop your suffering. That doesn't mean you can't consent to it. Assisted suicide is when someone helps you to end your own life, usually a clinician - this is usually called PAS (physician assisted suicide) and is the model used in America. So the difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide hinges on WHO is doing the ending of life.

Euthanasia that does not require any consent would be either be involuntary or non-voluntary euthanasia. Non-voluntary euthanasia is where someone is unable to consent e.g. those in a coma or PVS. Involuntary is where a person's life is ended when they have either not consented to it or given no indication that they wanted it so this category mostly aligns with the Shipman saga, and would generally be classified as murder. But, saying 'euthanasia doesn't require consent' is incorrect because there are different categories of euthanasia. The bill for legalising euthanasia that was debated in the Commons in September involved two clinicians signing off the patient e.g. checking that they were competent to consent.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.