Turn on thread page Beta

The difference between middle/upper class people? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    If you could successfully manage to say that Prince Phillip is smarter than any doctors you know then sure, it's intelligence. Good luck managing to make that point.
    Who's to say that Prince Philip isn't as smart as a doctor?

Do you actually know yourself the qualifications he has?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_jg)
    Disagree with previous posters. Upper class are the gentry, they aren't necessarily rich. In the UK money doesn't equal class. The Beckham's have lots of money, but certainly aren't upper class.
    Yes this is how I always thought the class system works in the UK. The upper class are the gentry and 'old money' , whereas the middle class being the 'nouveau riche' and professionals such as doctors and lawyers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    All about net worth buddy.
    Where would you say the lines are?
    I dunno. I'm pretty sure job factors in. I mean, either of those guys could never be working class even if they decided to pay not so well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I dunno. I'm pretty sure job factors in. I mean, either of those guys could never be working class even if they decided to pay not so well.
    Class in the UK is mostly about birth and upbringing. Nowadays we have Barons and Viscounts who actually don't have a significant amount of money.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Middle class people still shop at standard supermarkets. If you're upper class, only peasants shop at standard supermarkets.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know why you regard lawyers so highly? some are on peanuts totally over saturated marketplace atm. They're getting more and more desperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I dont know why you regard lawyers so highly? some are on peanuts totally over saturated marketplace atm. They're getting more and more desperate.
    Ah I dunno.
    My dad has always been very 'Yu gu tu Skuul, yu be dokta o woya', so I guess from that I view them similarly, though maybe not the case (not a clue about how things are in law). Knew it to be a bit saturated, but didn't realise it was bad atm.

ReputationRep:
    As I stated, just because they have money and fame it doesn't make them upper class. The class system in the UK has been around for so long that it is firmly entrenched in society.
    Don't you think that in 100 years, people will see celebrity children and the new upper class?

By that time, celebrities will have been around for hundreds of years.

I suppose celebrities are modern day gentry - they marry into bloodlines and inherit as the old upper class of England did hundreds of years ago

ReputationRep:
    Ah I dunno.
    My dad has always been very 'Yu gu tu Skuul, yu be dokta o woya', so I guess from that I view them similarly, though maybe not the case (not a clue about how things are in law). Knew it to be a bit saturated, but didn't realise it was bad atm.
    They're lucky to still be wearing their suits and paying the car payments atm. But obviously you get a few who make it big but that's the same for all fields even manual labour.

ReputationRep:
    As I stated, just because they have money and fame it doesn't make them upper class. The class system in the UK has been around for so long that it is firmly entrenched in society.
    But then what class are they? Surely calling celebrities and their kids middle class is a bit funny......

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.