Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Look what I just saw! watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Oh yessss! You're on the new A-level. So your doing it all in one go!

It's different for us, I'm doing 1951-2007 now, last year was just 50's, 60's and 70's. This year is much better I think
    yeah sorry if my responses have been a bit succinct, i am tired now so i'm gonna go to bed but i will happily have a lenghty conversation with you some time bout the joys of history

ReputationRep:
    Saw this when doing English Language A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    yeah sorry if my responses have been a bit succinct, i am tired now so i'm gonna go to bed but i will happily have a lenghty conversation with you some time bout the joys of history
    Lol it's alright Cavy, goodnight! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Any men see themselves delivering the subservient role should they find themselves earning significantly less than their partner?

I mean, since it sounds 'reasonable' to some that a housewife should do this then equally a lower earning male could and should deliver it too in similar circumstances, right?
    It's interesting isn't it, but I think a lot of 'feminine' attributes have been intertwined into this role, making it completely 'unacceptable' for a man to take on. People still hold this view, even now. History really does shape the world we live in.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, we are studying this ATM in history (1950s stuff). Very different
    would you be a good wife cavy?

ReputationRep:
    Flippen heck, this should be titled 'how to be a good slave'

I would like to see the husband version of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    I am going to file a complaint against the Pulitzer Prize award committee for not nominating this book when it came out.

edit: Thank you for posting this. Just sent it to my gf....and would send it to every woman on my friends list if I had the time.
    Aw that's nice of you I'm sure you will have a great time the next time you see her!

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* What went wrong...

It wasn't a joke. This is how it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmpV2)

It wasn't a joke. This is how it should be
    Oh it's you again, with the scary daughter!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    would you be a good wife cavy?
    depends.

if you don't want s**, are happy to eat poorly cooked food, willing to have guinea pigs prioritised over you, are happy to hear me talking about birdwatching and art all day, can clean up after yourself, aren't offended by my ugliness and don't expect me to wear makeup,

then yeah, i would be a brilliant wife

ReputationRep:
    Oh it's you again, with the scary daughter!
    She would have looked fine if her mum followed the instructions in the first post

ReputationRep:

Any thoughts?

When I think about the 50's they don't really seem that far away, but when you read something like this and compare it to our modern day lives the change is just extraordinary!
    If I ever get stuck in the 1950s, remind me to join a convent. That sounds so unbelievably dull that if I had to go through that daily I think I would scream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    If he's out grinding all of his day at work then I don't see why the wife (if a housewife) shouldn't do a few of the things like dinner. Perhaps not the whole "make the evening his", but it's nothing too shocking.
    You're trolling. But I think it all depends how many hours each of your are working. If one does less then they should do more at home, but really a couple should have shared responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    If I ever get stuck in the 1950s, remind me to join a convent. That sounds so unbelievably dull that if I had to go through that daily I think I would scream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know how they did it, what did the women talk about? I would scream too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)

It was a joke, please don't hurt me
    Someone is going to get :mob: in 3.. 2... 1...

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting. This is why feminism was necessary and MAINE's ****ty comment is why it still is.

Fabulous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EA436)
    Flippen heck, this should be titled 'how to be a good slave'

I would like to see the husband version of this.
    Husband version:

Go to work, perv' on the secretary despite having a wife, screw the secretary, come home, pretend you've had a hard day, allow your wife to wait on you hand and foot, go to bed, repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Husband version:

Go to work, perv' on the secretary despite having a wife, screw the secretary, come home, pretend you've had a hard day, allow your wife to wait on you hand and foot, go to bed, repeat.
    OMG lol :rofl: It's true though, I have read 'Death of a Salesman' and that was a social commentary soo....

Lol no, but the stereotypes and gender roles were/are sad.

ReputationRep:
    depends.

if you don't want s**, are happy to eat poorly cooked food, willing to have guinea pigs prioritised over you, are happy to hear me talking about birdwatching and art all day, can clean up after yourself, aren't offended by my ugliness and don't expect me to wear makeup,

then yeah, i would be a brilliant wife
    playing hard to get are we... that's kind of hot:sly::tong:

ReputationRep:

Any thoughts?

When I think about the 50's they don't really seem that far away, but when you read something like this and compare it to our modern day lives the change is just extraordinary!
    This is amazing OP. good find, i'ma share it to my girlies

serah.exe ivy.98 take note

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.