Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Buying a flat whilst at uni - possible? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Indeed, and that's with a VERY generously low price on the house. I don't know many part-time student jobs paying £20K...
    http://goo.gl/e7GWyx

( So I did a quick search on Right move for 150k priced places), Bare in mind it is a starter type property. Also one thing it highlights is shared ownership could be a way onto the property ladder is get a 50% share of a 300k type property to get started.

By looks of the above links, you could perhaps grab a studio flat etc for that kind of price. The point could be made it is easier to get a flatshare in a good location than for a working student to stretch and get onto the property ladder.

Secondly

http://bfy.tw/2jom

Student jobs paying 20k, it could be something antisocial like a night shift in a big corporate firm, or even some big corporations have tedious roles ( eg night time trade assistant in an investment bank) or which could enable one to work from home and balance being a student ie study time with work time if you can secure the right role / know the right people.

Yeah it might be a generously low price, but I think its viable, but the reality is you could rent something probably that would be nicer and less stress free than buying a box /studio flat in London given the OP has 20k cash!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    http://goo.gl/e7GWyx

( So I did a quick search on Right move for 150k priced places), Bare in mind it is a starter type property. Also one thing it highlights is shared ownership could be a way onto the property ladder is get a 50% share of a 300k type property to get started.

By looks of the above links, you could perhaps grab a studio flat etc for that kind of price. The point could be made it is easier to get a flatshare in a good location than for a working student to stretch and get onto the property ladder.

Secondly

http://bfy.tw/2jom

Student jobs paying 20k, it could be something antisocial like a night shift in a big corporate firm, or even some big corporations have tedious roles ( eg night time trade assistant in an investment bank) or which could enable one to work from home and balance being a student ie study time with work time if you can secure the right role / know the right people.

Yeah it might be a generously low price, but I think its viable, but the reality is you could rent something probably that would be nicer and less stress free than buying a box /studio flat in London given the OP has 20k cash!!
    All I know is that right now there's graduates barely getting over £20K full-time. I don't think part-time jobs paying that much are exactly growing on trees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    All I know is that right now there's graduates barely getting over £20K full-time. I don't think part-time jobs paying that much are exactly growing on trees.
    I know it is possible, but it is hard out there! So take what you can get work wise! Get experience etc

But fundamentally if you have a good job + a deposit and there is a property available, its not a bad idea to try to buy a place, but generally most people would be in a position where they don't have a 20k deposit but could have a job or value renting in a good location vs buying a cheaper property in a less good location... depends on the compromise really.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.