x Turn on thread page Beta

40% of migrants from EU claim benefits watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ebony & Ivory)
    So?

If you're entitled to benefits then why not? Life is hard and money is tight. Why make it harder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Psst he's suggesting that they are not entitled to benefits, as they haven't contributed to the economy yet. This revelation shows how migrants have always been paying in with tax, only to claim it back with tax credits. This is even more reason to remove tax credits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The figures and incredibly dodgy and partially the manipulation of data.

1) The data is not based on how many European Economic Migrants claim either in-work or out-of-work benefits, but how many receive “support” from them. Therefore, in a home of four migrants where just one is receiving some form of benefit, all four would be included in the Prime Minister’s claim.

2) The analysis is based on a five per cent sample of European Economic Area migrants who arrived in the UK from March 2009 to March 2013. Therefore, the figures are already more than two years old.

3) The “simulation model” used by the DWP to calculate the caseload information for tax credit and benefit claimants created a “small degree of discrepancy in caseload totals when compared with published caseload statistics per benefit/tax credit.”

The report continues: “This introduces some degree of uncertainty around individual cases.”

4) The figures do not differentiate children born in the UK from those brought to the UK by migrants. Therefore, if a migrant mother and migrant father in receipt of a benefit have a baby in the UK, that baby is still classed as a migrant relying on benefits. These figures estimate that between 75,000 and 95,000 are children.

5) The range of error is eight per cent. In real terms, that is 40,000 people – the difference between 195,000 and 235,000.

6) According to the DWP, “around 66 per cent were claims where either a main claimant or their partner (if in a couple) was recorded as being in work.” Just a third were out-of-work benefit claimants.
    How dare you come in here with your facts and figures! Typical leftie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    How dare you come in here with your facts and figures! Typical leftie!
    Only Daily Mail prejudice against the poor allowed here. Anything else is dismissed as a Conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    For many, that's £20 a week child benefit. And?
    Child benefit can also go to children who don't even live in the UK. Also, I have no problem with a Brit using it but I don't see why we should bring someone if they will be on benefits. There are enough unemployed Brits here, give them a chance.

(Original post by balanced)
    Psst he's suggesting that they are not entitled to benefits, as they haven't contributed to the economy yet. This revelation shows how migrants have always been paying in with tax, only to claim it back with tax credits. This is even more reason to remove tax credits.
    Exactly. No contribution but they can still take out. Also, migrants getting working tax credits, so paying an amount in tax but getting more back in tax credits...incredible system. They are paid to live here. Unemployed British people can have those jobs.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Child benefit can also go to children who don't even live in the UK. Also, I have no problem with a Brit using it but I don't see why we should bring someone if they will be on benefits. There are enough unemployed Brits here, give them a chance.

Exactly. No contribution but they can still take out. Also, migrants getting working tax credits, so paying an amount in tax but getting more back in tax credits...incredible system. They are paid to live here. Unemployed British people can have those jobs.
    I personally think that changing the system so they aren't paid will help competition, not just effectively give it to unemployed British citizens.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to point out that most of these were in work benefits which should be culled however Aj12 has already made a great point of it.

These are not unemployed leaches in the main. Nothing here convinces me to rout against Eu migration when non-EU migration is still largely worse.

ReputationRep:
    40% claim some sort of benefit..... I would have thought it is higher, then again it is difficult to quantify the real numbers.

I'll never blame the migrant for claiming it though only the system that allows it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is according to Downing Street;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34770875

I would say discuss, or weigh in with my view, but the writing is on the wall here. Disgraceful.
    Reduce immigration to 5,000-30,000

ReputationRep:
    If we raised the minimum wage to a real living wage (not the Osborne figure), I wonder how many of the 40% would be eligible then? Or for those jobs which UK born people are reluctant to apply for, how would this change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    If we raised the minimum wage to a real living wage (not the Osborne figure), I wonder how many of the 40% would be eligible then? Or for those jobs which UK born people are reluctant to apply for, how would this change?
    Higher minimum wages just encourage more low skilled migration enticed by the wages they see on job adverts compared to their country

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Higher minimum wages just encourage more low skilled migration enticed by the wages they see on job adverts compared to their country

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My main point is that there would be a much lower percentage of those who had moved from other EU countries receiving in-work benefits. What the 40% figure does not tell us is the average amount those people receive- if we raised the minimum wage to the living wage, it is about £30-£40 per week extra, and could mean no in-work benefits for many.

ReputationRep:
    My main point is that there would be a much lower percentage of those who had moved from other EU countries receiving in-work benefits. What the 40% figure does not tell us is the average amount those people receive- if we raised the minimum wage to the living wage, it is about £30-£40 per week extra, and could mean no in-work benefits for many.
    Raise it to 100 quid an hour and take away health care and all benefits and there would be even less costs.

#dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Banned
    TSR exhales.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.