Turn on thread page Beta

Is it best to buy a "nice" car when young?! or wait. watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about getting a motorbike next year. You can get a nice 125cc for around £1000 and the insurance is a lot cheaper in comparison to cars.

ReputationRep:
    I would be grateful for just any car of any kind!

I past my test nearly a year ago. Still not been able to run a car.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two cars since 21 and I'm 23. The 1st was a gift though but the 2nd I got myself. Just budget. And why get an ugly ride, I don't get it. It's only pathetic if you get something you can't afford to maintain...

(Original post by Anonynmous)
    Nah save up. **** getting a used bmw 3 series diesel now when in a couple of yrs u are rocking a m4.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    nah srs at this stage u got better things to save up for instead of a car
    not unless you live in an area where you need one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Mal)
    I've had two cars since 21 and I'm 23. The 1st was a gift though but the 2nd I got myself. Just budget. And why get an ugly ride, I don't get it. It's only pathetic if you get something you can't afford to maintain...

not unless you live in an area where you need one
    Where on earth u NEED to get a nice whip? lol

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth u NEED to get a nice whip? lol
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you wouldn't say that if you had slaves

In a place with no public transport...? Like the country or a place where there's a lot of land between each destination.
    Or if you work/study far from home. Duhrr.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you wouldn't say that if you had slaves
    In a place with no public transport...? Like the country or a place where there's a lot of land between each destination.
    Or if you work/study far from home. Duhrr.
    You missed the part i said Nice whip

Can confirm regarding slaves, i'm a slave analyst as per my TSR page.

ReputationRep:
    You missed the part i said Nice whip

Can confirm regarding slaves, i'm a slave analyst as per my TSR page.
    lmao I know
    and the nice part still applies if you're evil enough. :whip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Is it best to buy a "nice" car when young?! or wait.

Or invest it somewhere else? what would you do?
    It depends what your driving is like, my fiance always said don't get a really nice car for your first car cos everyone he knows including himself has crashed and written off their first car (not always their own fault). It would also depend on how much money you have, can you afford a nice car? Even if you do have the money if you didn't buy a nice car what else could you do with the money?

ReputationRep:
    lmao I know
    and the nice part still applies if you're evil enough. :whip:
    Kunte Kinte strikes back?! Real or fake? has science gone too far? [GONE SEXUAL] 2015 SOCIAL EXPERIMENT

ReputationRep:
    **** financial security, go all in brah!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...cars&logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    I'm glad in my younger days I did splurge a bit on cars that I really wanted,
    I wanted a car and I got myself an Austin Metro.
    Then later on when I had a bit more to spend I bought an Alfa Romeo 145 and then I decided it was time for a faster car and I had a Fiat Coupe 20VT, never had any regrets as you are only of that age where you could appreciate such cars once, once you get around 28-30 your priorities in life changes, the regret was in my younger days I wanted a Lotus Esprit and Lotus Elise, while the money was there for such a car there wasn't the money to operate 2 cars due to family considerations.

Once you hit 28-30, your priorities in a car changes quite significantly, for me it was comfort and safety as well as enough room for everyone. Now at near 40, cars have a very different priority, refinement is the name of the game for me and I just don't have it in me to do an acrobatic move to get into a Lotus Elise or any low slung cars,

Personally if I was in my teens or early 20s again, I'd go for the best cars that I could afford that has an element of excitement to it.

Cars are becoming more and more automated and it will only become more so. The regulations with regard to usage of cars will change a lot in the coming years and you can definitely expect more and more restrictions on where as well as how you can drive a car, especially on public roads..

That isn't universally true. Toyota, Nissan and Isuzu makes great pickups that are fairly robust and good reliability but there are downsides to them.

There certainly are some that are no where near as reliable as many would think, especially true for Fords, Syangyong and Mitsubishi. Certainly true of VW as well.

Anyhow I wouldn't recommend using one as a daily driver,
    Thanks *goes to buy nice car*

Austin metro and alpha romeo what would be the equivalent today!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    **** financial security, go all in brah!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...cars&logcode=p
    Nice brah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    It depends what your driving is like, my fiance always said don't get a really nice car for your first car cos everyone he knows including himself has crashed and written off their first car (not always their own fault). It would also depend on how much money you have, can you afford a nice car? Even if you do have the money if you didn't buy a nice car what else could you do with the money?
    I'm just looking for some excitement. I own a house already. Due to have some spare cash soon *fingers crossed*. I don't want to miss out on anything :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Thanks *goes to buy nice car*

Austin metro and alpha romeo what would be the equivalent today!?
    Austin Metro? Probably a Ford Fiesta or Opel Corsa or one of the usual small entry level cars. It was just some basic wheels to get one moving.

Alfa Romeo 145, cars have changed a lot in recent years, somehow there don't really exist cars that are not expensive yet halfway decent to drive which was what that Alfa was. These days Alfas cost a lot to buy and maintain especially if you start ticking the options. Also the models of similar class isn't anywhere near as fun to drive. Personally for a fun to drive car that isn't expensive to buy it would be the Renault Megane RS265 or a Ford Focus ST, If you have more money to splurge out then it would be the Mercedes A45 AMG.

If I was under-25 and had some financial resources minus family commitments then the car I'd be going for would be that Alfa Romeo 4C or perhaps a Mazda MX5 or that Lotus Elise.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a reliable car with cheap insurance that isn't anything special. Wait until you're 21+ because your insurance drops insanely once you're past the "boyracer" years that the insurance companies think applies to all young male drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I would be grateful for just any car of any kind!

I past my test nearly a year ago. Still not been able to run a car.
    Tbh i was the same when i got my first car but then you just get bored of your existing car and want an upgrade. Still well cool driving, i don't take it for granted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    I would spend 2K max on a car and my dream first car is a BMW as many of you know
    Good choice. Head gaskets and cylinder head aren't too prone to failure in the latest models either.

Source : I am a BMW apprentice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luneth)
    Buy a reliable car with cheap insurance that isn't anything special. Wait until you're 21+ because your insurance drops insanely once you're past the "boyracer" years that the insurance companies think applies to all young male drivers.
    Insurance doesn't drop much now unless you are aged 25 +

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    Good choice. Head gaskets and cylinder head aren't too prone to failure in the latest models either.

Source : I am a BMW apprentice
    Cool
    It is a BMW E30 series i want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Enjoy your life how you want tbh. In my work I see a lot of young people with debilitating/life threatening conditions. You never know when it's your turn.
    My philosophy exactly.

(Original post by Alfissti)
    I'm glad in my younger days I did splurge a bit on cars that I really wanted,
    I wanted a car and I got myself an Austin Metro.
    Everyone should have something with an A series in it at some point. If nothing else it teaches you that some things on the road that look like they are crawling around are actually flat out!

I had a Mk2 metro for a brief period. It was champagne gold with colour coded bumpers and "world of brown" interior. I learnt how to do 4 wheel drifts in it!

I had my most dramatic breakdown in that car too... I went into a roundabout. I wanted to keep going round and take the right hand exit but the front left wheel wanted to go straight on. So it did. On it's own... Must have bounced 40 feet into the air too.
    Fortuitously the car was moving with enough momentum to make it to the edge of the road on the brake disk so it wasn't in the way too much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.