Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

S01 - SOI from The Department of the Environment, Energy and Climate Change watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    It's neither, the closest place to it is Macosquin, and seeing as Ulster is the broadest region of Ireland the plant sits in I figured that was a decent name for it.
    Then why did you say it was near Coleraine? I thought my local geography was messed up!
    Just call it the Derry power plant, it's within county Derry and its part of the NI assembly's East Derry constituency.

Also don't call it "LondonDerry" because the law was officially changed to Derry a few months ago - the unionists are just trying to hold it back as long as they can

Great research into each area though and a well-thought out bill overall, liked the map
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Has the fence been proven to work yet? If so, why not one for the Humber Estuary too?

Also, as much as I love nuclear fission; is there a compromise that could be struck for less of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel that seeing as there will be a nuclear power station there, as well as the off shore wind farm factory siemens have set up in Hull, that there'll be more than enough in that region to satisfy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Then why did you say it was near Coleraine? I thought my local geography was messed up!
    Just call it the Derry power plant, it's within county Derry and its part of the NI assembly's East Derry constituency.

Also don't call it "LondonDerry" because the law was officially changed to Derry a few months ago - the unionists are just trying to hold it back as long as they can

Great research into each area though and a well-thought out bill overall, liked the map
    Macosquin is near enough to Coleraine, so if people don't know then they have both as well as the map to pin point more or less where the plant will be stationed. Also, I quite like it being called Ulster, it has a ring to it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Macosquin is near enough to Coleraine, so if people don't know then they have both as well as the map to pin point more or less where the plant will be stationed. Also, I quite like it being called Ulster, it has a ring to it.
    As does United Ireland.

Go on, write that bill.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    As does United Ireland.

Go on, write that bill.

And lose the Plant!!!?!?!?! You must be joking

(In all seriousness though, this is something you should take up with the minister for constitutional reform and devolution)

ReputationRep:
    Fully support this. Good to see short-term nuclear support.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Fully support this. Good to see short-term nuclear support.
    Cheers!!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I feel that seeing as there will be a nuclear power station there, as well as the off shore wind farm factory siemens have set up in Hull, that there'll be more than enough in that region to satisfy.
    Nicely avoiding the second question, I see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nicely avoiding the second question, I see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all it's been fully developed by Oxford University and Kepler industries.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The fences developed at oxford university with Kepler have undergone serious testing and by all means are fit for purpose.
    I am aware of where it was conceptualised. Nevertheless, there is no existing installation of the technology, only the 1km planned in the Bristol Channel which as I said again, is estimated to be operational from 2020/21. It hasn't been proven outside of an academic setting.

How will the Scottish Highland plant be built when the Scottish Government voted to oppose new nuclear plants? Whilst you have control over energy policy, they have control over planning permission and have historically used that to block new plants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    I am aware of where it was conceptualised. Nevertheless, there is no installation of the technology, other than the 1km planned in the Bristol Channel which as I said again, is estimated to be operational from 2020/21. It hasn't been proven outside of an academic setting.

How will the Scottish Highland plant be built when the Scottish Government voted to oppose new nuclear plants? Whilst you have control over energy policy, they have control over planning permission and have historically used that to block new plants.
    Canon Amendment
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And lose the Plant!!!?!?!?! You must be joking

(In all seriousness though, this is something you should take up with the minister for constitutional reform and devolution)
    Did not realise there was one of those.
    If the SP get into power I'm having that
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Not at all it's been fully developed by Oxford University and Kepler industries.
    I was asking about maybe less fission power plants with my second question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am aware of where it was conceptualised. Nevertheless, there is no existing installation of the technology, only the 1km planned in the Bristol Channel which as I said again, is estimated to be operational from 2020/21. It hasn't been proven outside of an academic setting.
    2020/21 is too late in all honesty, if we're to meet our emissions targets we need to be investing in new renewables right now. These have the potential to be beyond amazing, not quite the output of a barrage but much cheaper and much less cost to local eco systems.

Considering there's no TSR Scottish government to oppose it...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

I'd just like to weigh in on that last point: Canon Amendment - we can ignore the Scottish Parliament in the same way that we can ignore the EU. Essentially the MHoC acts as the devolved body.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I was asking about maybe less fission power plants with my second question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh sorry. These are rather small nuclear plants, not like the one we'll be seeing in somerset soon. They also only have a lifespan of 40/50 years, which makes them perfect as temporary clean energy while we develop more renewables.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Oh sorry. These are rather small nuclear plants, not like the one we'll be seeing in somerset soon. They also only have a lifespan of 40/50 years, which makes them perfect as temporary clean energy while we develop more renewables.
    Ahhhh so they're purely temporary fixtures while the infrastructure is put in place? Nice thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ahhhh so they're purely temporary fixtures while the infrastructure is put in place? Nice thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aye, bear in mind that I am an ex-green.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Aye, bear in mind that I am an ex-green.
    I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    2020/21 is too late in all honesty, if we're to meet our emissions targets we need to be investing in new renewables right now. These have the potential to be beyond amazing, not quite the output of a barrage but much cheaper and much less cost to local eco systems.

Considering there's no TSR Scottish government to oppose it...
    Fusion has the potential to be more than amazing, are you going to invest in that because one of the big researchers claimed either earlier this year or last year they'd made it viable? There are some things that if they work in the lab they work, this is not one of them.

Can you also remind me of the carbon emissions per unit energy for nuclear please?

There is also no real reason to potentially compromise energy supply over a piece of paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.