Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Do people still read books for fun? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starvation13)
    1000pages? Da*** are you reading lol? Encyclopaedia Britannica?
    Isn't that the standard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to focus on a book for more than two pages. I end up having to go back over and over again because I had read like a page but not fully taken it in and it's just boring I'd rather watch something instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    How long would it take you to read around a 1000pg book?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite a while I would say. I don't like to rush reading anyway, I sit there and annotate etc.(which is a book sin apparently...)I like to really 'experience' the book.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Quite a while I would say. I don't like to rush reading anyway, I sit there and annotate etc.(which is a book sin apparently...)I like to really 'experience' the book.
    You are a crazy person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that the standard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    !!! !!!

ReputationRep:
    !!! !!!
    Typical...

I'd like to read your words not watch a video of your opinion. You jave pretty much strengthened my argument.

Safe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are a crazy person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe tbh I have my dream library planned out, I spend hours watching videos on 'Book tube' and I have so many reading quotes saved on my laptop. hehe

Sometimes I think I get more obsessed about reading than actually reading. It makes me really happy, like I can't even explain it! XD

ReputationRep:
    Typical...

I'd like to read your words not watch a video of your opinion. You jave pretty much strengthened my argument.

Safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok:

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No.

And what is your argument? That book are 1000 pages?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe tbh I have my dream library planned out, I spend hours watching videos on 'Book tube' and I have so many reading quotes saved on my laptop. hehe

Sometimes I think I get more obsessed about reading than actually reading. It makes me really happy, like I can't even explain it! XD
    Ok now you're just trollin, you almost had me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read a huge amount as a kid, 10 books over a few days thats nothing to me and I was seen as advanced.

That was because I grew up so poor that we couldnt afford heating or go to cinema(and that was the 90s) so even around 5 years old I was reading book afer book, and was so into reading I could read books multiple times over in a single day.

I remember reading Stephen King books when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

These days I dont read much but thats due to depression. I just have the tv on watching the same awful stuff over and over and bored and sleepy.

On the rare chance I do read I get a physical book as tablets are more hurting my eyes than anything and you get smudges swiping the screen.

ReputationRep:
    Or has it died out now that we have become more internet/movie orientated? I cant remember the last time I read a story type book, I'd guess around 15 years ago minimum. I only read books that relate to ny studies, and tbh the books are more of a supplement to video learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, still read books for fun. I go into a bookshop and leave when they kick me out because it's closing time. Usually accompanied by about twenty books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Yes!

I just hate it when there are long descriptions, I don't need to know what the room looks or smells like or how many freckles someone had on their faces. I am a big picture thinker so detailed descriptions give me a headache.

Yay! That was something I'd been thinking of about... Glad to know I was right hehehe.

Well that's something for me to note down

ReputationRep:
    Ok now you're just trollin, you almost had me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I almost wish I was I think I need some help.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok:

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No.

And what is your argument? That book are 1000 pages?
    That reading is dead due to video entertainment...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That reading is dead due to video entertainment...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but since you think that the average book contains 1000 pages. I didn't think a paragraph of text would be better.

ReputationRep:

My life struggles

ReputationRep:
    Oooh! That's new, never heard of that before... What do you annotate in the book? Like character motivations and traits or maybe things that they do that you think might foreshadow something bad happening? Like do you just get engrossed in the world?

Reading quotes? Like quotes to inspire you to read or good quotes that you got from books?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh! That's new, never heard of that before... What do you annotate in the book? Like character motivations and traits or maybe things that they do that you think might foreshadow something bad happening? Like do you just get engrossed in the world?
    Yup! Like anything really, mostly it's just my thoughts. I think I get really emotionally intertwined with characters when I'm reading so I like to jot things down about how they are feeling and why etc. It sounds weird but it's really not but it works best with serious books. Like in this book there was this quote 'Death makes me hungry' and it really made me think...

Also I don't like to re-read books all over again, even if I loved them, I just re-read my favourite passages and it's easier to find them if I have annotated them already.

And lastly, I like the idea that when I die all my books will have my thoughts jotted down in them, maybe someone will read them and remember me by

Reading quotes? Like quotes to inspire you to read or good quotes that you got from books?
    Both actually, but most of my quotes from books are saved on my kindle.

ReputationRep:
    I do. It's fun.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.