Turn on thread page Beta

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pentaquark)
    Mocks: only done like 6 subject exams for mocks
    A* in English Language, A* in Maths, A* in RE, A in Spanish, A in Add. Science, B in Food Tech
    I didn't revise much for my mocks but I don't think they matter because you'll be motivated to revise once your exams are nearer.

I remember feeling like utter crap after my first exam, and this made me revise loads. I thought I was going to fail all of my exams!
    At the end I managed 10A*s somehow Don't be too disheartened!!!
    WOW that is so impressive, well done! and thank you

The problem with me is as soon as i feel i do badly i just completely lose motivation and interest! :P

ReputationRep:
    I just had a look and in my mocks I got 1 A* 3Bs 3Cs 3Ds and in my real exams I got 1 A* 5 As and 4 Bs. Biggest jump for me was R.E, I got a D in the mock and an A* in the real thing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    got a B in my maths mock and an A in the real one
    Spoiler:
    Show
    mwhahaha that doubting maths teacher :horse:
    rest were pretty similar to the real things (8stars 2As)

just revise hard for the mocks and use it to see which areas you need to improve in. you have lots of time to make these improvements
    also if yo uwrite revision notes now then you have some ready for the summer ones so can spend more time doing past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliviaJH)
    OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high
    i did worse in my mocks than I did in the real thing (for some exams anyway - the grade boundaries increased quite a bit)

ReputationRep:
    x
    I don't remember doing mocks in everything but I had a couple of Ds in Biology back in the day, Bs in Maths and Music in some early mocks we did (think it was Year 10), I'd had a mix of D, B, A and A* in geography mocks, probs a mix of B-A* in Physics and Chemistry mocks. Got Bs and Cs in Welsh mocks I think. In the end I got 7A*s with double science maths english language and lit geography and history; had As in Music and (lol) Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    There wasn't a huge difference for me (7A*s 3As vs 9A*s 1A), but a lot of people I know did LOADS better in the real things. You will realise mocks are fairly irrelevant after you have sat the real GCSEs, they are designed to give you an insight into exam conditions, etc. Most people do better in the summer - it is months away yet! Just find holes in your exam techniques and revision style, combat more papers and you can easily go up by 2/3 grades.

Good luck (a lot of people only pull their fingers out a couple of months before the GCSEs and still smash them) :-) x

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm opposite to most people :/

Was predicted all A*s and got them in my mocks, then flopped in the real exams and ended up with worse grades than in my mocks

Lesson: If you do well in mocks, don't think you'll automatically do well in the real thing. Equally, if you don't do well in mocks, studying enough can make you do wonderfully in the real thing and exceed your expectations So study hard for both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    There wasn't a huge difference for me (7A*s 3As vs 9A*s 1A), but a lot of people I know did LOADS better in the real things. You will realise mocks are fairly irrelevant after you have sat the real GCSEs, they are designed to give you an insight into exam conditions, etc. Most people do better in the summer - it is months away yet! Just find holes in your exam techniques and revision style, combat more papers and you can easily go up by 2/3 grades.

Good luck (a lot of people only pull their fingers out a couple of months before the GCSEs and still smash them) :-) x
    Thankyou i feel alot better! and well done on great grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I guess I'm opposite to most people :/

Was predicted all A*s and got them in my mocks, then flopped in the real exams and ended up with worse grades than in my mocks

Lesson: If you do well in mocks, don't think you'll automatically do well in the real thing. Equally, if you don't do well in mocks, studying enough can make you do wonderfully in the real thing and exceed your expectations So study hard for both!
    ohh no! that must have been so frustrating! But thanks so much

(Original post by Tootles)
    Innit. When I did my mock GCSEs I got all As and Bs. When I did the actual exams I got five Cs, and the rest were Ds and Es.

I was a **** academic back then.
    Same here. I was lucky in the sense that grade boundaries were low otherwise I would have failed all of them. Just about scrapped them.

But you will always remain a nerd so it's okay :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou i feel alot better! and well done on great grades!
    No problem! Doing GCSEs is scary but also really exciting, don't listen to anyone who tells you they don't matter or 'A Levels are harder'. Make sure you do well just so you can celebrate on results day and have lots of attention from family members, it can be like Christmas

ReputationRep:
    i remeber when i got an a- in one history paper and a c- in mocks and in the other and i got a d in both papers in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    ohh no! that must have been so frustrating! But thanks so much
    Haha it was, but at the end of the day A level performance is important too! And you're very welcome. I hope you do much better than I did!!

ReputationRep:
    That gives me a bit of hope then, thanks-well done on great grades!
    Yes, don't worry about it, just do the best you can, I'm sure it'll be fine in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    No problem! Doing GCSEs is scary but also really exciting, don't listen to anyone who tells you they don't matter or 'A Levels are harder'. Make sure you do well just so you can celebrate on results day and have lots of attention from family members, it can be like Christmas
    yeah that's true, I will be SO SO HAPPY if i do well and can celebrate with a long summer!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I got the same overall grades in the real exams as I did in the mocks, although a few subjects had switched grades around! (Meaning for one or two subjects I got an A in the mocks, A* in the real and vice versa)

ReputationRep:
    similar grades but i did push myself near the end

(Original post by aamirac)
    Same here. I was lucky in the sense that grade boundaries were low otherwise I would have failed all of them. Just about scrapped them.

But you will always remain a nerd so it's okay :hugs:
    Ey, could be worse - a year later I was asked not to return to the sixth-form I went to

Yeah, I'm happy being a nerd :ahee: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in my food tech mock then got an A* in the exam. lol

ReputationRep:
    I got: 2A*, 3A, 2B, 1C and 1D in my mocks.
    I then got: 7A*, 1A and 3B's in my real exams.

Just try your best and use your mocks and use it as motivation. For instance: I was so annoyed and upset-more upset than annoyed- when I got a D in history and blamed it on my teacher even though I knew I never revised properly. After spending two whole holidays, I finished my history notes and managed to get an A* and ended up actually being happy that I knew where I needed to allocate my time towards.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.