Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bullies saved his life. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Your anecdotal evidence doesn't somehow invalidate tons of psychological and scientific studies that show that victims of bullies suffer long term psychological consequences regardless of how well they dealt with it. The damage has now been done and the only thing he can do is get treatment for any psychological injuries sustained.

The fact that you are even arguing this shows much ignorance and lack of experience with bullies (which is nice but you have no understanding of the problems it causes so therefore you have no right to talk about it) or the fact that you are a bully or an ex-bully feeling guilty and attempting to justify your previous actions. In either case your empathy is significantly diminished.
    Or he didn't suffer any psychological problems like the victims i know and he moves on with his life......

I have never bullied anyone but have had prolonged arguments/feuds with people and insults have been passed back and forth. I have used the word
    'fat' in an argument many times..... Turns out the two people i argued with in this manner actually went onto lose weight to try and prove me wrong, which they admitted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmellyProtein)
    Did I have to, no, but did I want to, yes !

I know a couple of people who have been bullied for being fat and have decided to live a healthier lifestyle because of this. Not one of them went on to shoot up a school or slit their wrists.
    While you may not know anyone who has killed themselves as a result of bullying, there are plenty that do including a good friend of mine. There are far more who go on to struggle with relationships, eating disorders, depression, anxiety and substance abuse problems in their adult lives. While I think you are just trying to get a rise out of people, trying to connect bullying to something positive is a particularly ****** thing to do, something you may realise once your front lobe fully develops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmellyProtein)
    Or he didn't suffer any psychological problems like the victims i know and he moves on with his life......

I have never bullied anyone but have had prolonged arguments/feuds with people and insults have been passed back and forth. I have used the word
    'fat' in an argument many times..... Turns out the two people i argued with in this manner actually went onto lose weight to try and prove me wrong, which they admitted to.
    All victims of bullies suffer psychological damage regardless of how well they hide it or whether or not they seek treatment for it. Some just hide it better than others. This is indisputable psychological fact. If they deny it they are probably lying to themselves. You can't get assaulted and come away completely untouched can you?

A definition of bullying: Bullying may be defined as the activity of repeated, aggressive behavior intended to hurt another individual, physically, mentally or emotionally

If you repeatedly called another individual fat with intention to hurt them, you are, in fact, a bully.

Either you are a troll, or you have the Emotional IQ of a cockroach. Either way, I'm done with this conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you have a good point OP. Bullying should be a subject in school instead of something useless like Geography or Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    While you may not know anyone who has killed themselves as a result of bullying, there are plenty that do including a good friend of mine. There are far more who go on to struggle with relationships, eating disorders, depression, anxiety and substance abuse problems in their adult lives. While I think you are just trying to get a rise out of people, trying to connect bullying to something positive is a particularly ****** thing to do, something you may realise once your front lobe fully develops.

So you deny that the boy losing weight is not a positive thing?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.