Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is this racist? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    You don't force a Multinational Conglomerate to apologise over something like this... if they did not believe something was wrong.
    The conglomerate Apple has not apologised. The local store manager has apologised. He may just be embarrassed by the bad publicity and said sorry as a means of closing down the incident. If his staff would have asked a similar-sized group of white boys to leave then he should never have apologised but then he won't necessarily have thought through the implications of caving in so quickly.

Of course, this may have been racist stereotyping, in which case the apology was appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    Can someone explain to an ignorant and priviledged white boy why this is racist?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34795059

I've listened to the clip a few times and I fail to hear when they use racial slurs or discrimination!
    It is because they asked the boys to leave not based on evidence of stealing but assuming because they were black that they would be likely to steal something. It is similar to racial profiling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseFH)
    It is because they asked the boys to leave not based on evidence of stealing but assuming because they were black that they would be likely to steal something. It is similar to racial profiling
    This...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The conglomerate Apple has not apologised. The local store manager has apologised. He may just be embarrassed by the bad publicity and said sorry as a means of closing down the incident. If his staff would have asked a similar-sized group of white boys to leave then he should never have apologised but then he won't necessarily have thought through the implications of caving in so quickly.

Of course, this may have been racist stereotyping, in which case the apology was appropriate.
    By referencing the Apple Brand, it effectively was the multinational conglomerate apologising...

Caving in because the actions were caught on video... is evidence of at least the manager (if what you say is correcT), agreeing/believing that the action taken against that group of individuals was blatantly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Racial profiling.

Why is this so hard to understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseFH)
    OR it could plain and simple profiling, without race.

If they were all white and picked on... would that have been racial profiling too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    By referencing the Apple Brand, it effectively was the multinational conglomerate apologising...
    It was just an Apple shop. The decision went no higher than the local manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voiceofreason234)
    It's all about minimising risk really.

Most blacks have a criminal mindset. It's only reasonable that the shop owner doesn't want them there. You shouldn't have to wait for someone to steal something before you ban them, in the same way that I'm not going to wait for the steamroller to crush my house before I start to complain about it - I'm going to try and stop it before then!
    Ofc, and by that logic most whites having a criminal mindset, because most of what I see on TV is white people committing crimes. Earlier I saw a case about a white rapist on TV, I guess most whites have a rapist mindset. I also saw a white murderer on TV, damn why are whites so damn violent.

That of-course is not my attitude towards white people, because God has blessed me with more than one brain-cell. I just enjoy using your victimised white boy logic. In America, the people that commit the most crimes, are guess what, White Americans. In England, the people that commit the most crimes are White Englishmen. Yet idiots like you, sit at home spouting of these foolish racist comments.

How many countries have America and Europe invaded, destroyed their economies, raped their women, committing crimes against humanity for wealth, and you want to stereotype the descendants of all of those victims, as criminal. You want to know what is criminal? Your ignorance, and your privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Is it? I'm not so sure it is one the same level as Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your devil advocacy for racism is so disgusting and obnoxious. I can't be bothered, but I do feel entirely sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Mal)
    Your devil advocacy for racism is so disgusting and obnoxious. I can't be bothered, but I do feel entirely sorry for you.
    At what point was I supporting racism?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At what point was I supporting racism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You always do, don't even bother. I know your style, child. You are so perverse. "What about Zimbabwe and South Africa?" How is that relevant. How is deflecting logical? How? I already know what you're doing: "well blacks are racist too." So juvenile. And that challenges the fact that there is racism in Australia how? Why are trying to thwart and create a diversion? You know what, don't bother responding because I won't play into your little game.

(Original post by Armastan)
    Lmao, no they're not. If anything, the most racist country is Japan.
    He never said Australia is the most racist. He said it's ONE OF the most racist.

Can someone explain to an ignorant and priviledged white boy why this is racist?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34795059I've listened to the clip a few times and I fail to hear when they use racial slurs or discrimination!
    Use your head. If you can."Fail to hear racial slurs." :hmmm: You don't need to hear racial slurs. Someone saying something racist isn't the one and only form of racism.... Because you see discrimination; you cannot "hear" it. Discrimination is the act of racism or showing that you think a certain way about a group of people because of their skin colour. Stop being a ****ing troll, you know this is racist.

Most blacks have a criminal mindset. It's only reasonable that the shop owner doesn't want them there. You shouldn't have to wait for someone to steal something before you ban them, in the same way that I'm not going to wait for the steamroller to crush my house before I start to complain about it - I'm going to try and stop it before then!
    You are so right! I'm totally going to ban white people from coming into my country. They might shoot people or something. Really can't take the risk you know. Stop it before it has a chance to happen.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34795059

I've listened to the clip a few times and I fail to hear when they use racial slurs or discrimination!
    It's not about racial slurs, it's because the shop manager asked them to leave and said he was concerned they were going to shoplift

ReputationRep:
    You always do, don't even bother. I know your style, child. You are so perverse. "What about Zimbabwe and South Africa?" How is that relevant. How is deflecting logical? How? I already know what you're doing: "well blacks are racist too." So juvenile. And that challenges the fact that there is racism in Australia how? Why are trying to thwart and create a diversion? You know what, don't bother responding because I won't play into your little game.
    I'm not playing a game. I just don't think that Australia as a nation is as racist as two nations famous for racial division and more importantly racially motivated violence.

I'm not challenging that there is or isn't racism because there is racism everywhere. I am merely stating my opinion that it is not as wide spread as the above countries.

So is Australia one of the most racist countries in the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It was just an Apple shop. The decision went no higher than the local manager.
    who reports to a regional manager, who reports to the country wide manager to regional global... etc... Apple is not going to leave its branding decisions, good or bad to individual shop managers, especially in incidents that occur in a flagship type store...

ReputationRep:

I am so sure that is your feeble attempt at trolling... so I will only partially take the bait by acknowledging it and chuckling at it... hahahahaha... chuckle chuckle chuckle...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you blind or illiterate? Obviously I concurred. And?

ReputationRep:
    Are you blind or illiterate? Obviously I concurred. And?
    Ad hominem, nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not playing a game. I just don't think that Australia as a nation is as racist as two nations famous for racial division and more importantly racially motivated violence.

I'm not challenging that there is or isn't racism because there is racism everywhere. I am merely stating my opinion that it is not as wide spread as the above countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Intrinsically you do... you know that South Africa and Zimbabwe (sp) were under the grips of Apartheid and colonial oppression. That is a completely distinct position from that of Australia...

By playing coy to this blatant fact and trying to position your argument innocently demeans you...

Lets get it out in the open... to what racially motivated violence are you referring?

And how are those two nations racists?

I suspect I know your answer, but I for one am willing to hear them...

ReputationRep:

He never said Australia is the most racist. He said it's ONE OF the most racist.

Use your head. If you can."Fail to hear racial slurs." :hmmm: You don't need to hear racial slurs. Someone saying something racist isn't the one and only form of racism.... Because you see discrimination; you cannot "hear" it. Discrimination is the act of racism or showing that you think a certain way about a group of people because of their skin colour. Stop being a ****ing troll, you know this is racist.
    They're lost causes. Some people think racism is blatant discrimination against someone, but, until they are a monority, they will never understand the depth of it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.