Turn on thread page Beta

Should I delete possibly bad social media profiles when I apply to uni? watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Unis won't care. Employers may have a look, but this will only be your posts and pictures. They're not going to sit there going through all your likes lol.

ReputationRep:
    Universities won't care, nor will they have time to look at your social media activity. Employers will probably look at your facebook, but they won't bother to look at posts from the past six years, all of your likes etc, I worked in the office of an agency, and boss would just have a quick look at facebook profiles to get an idea of the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlizx)
    Universities won't care, nor will they have time to look at your social media activity. Employers will probably look at your facebook, but they won't bother to look at posts from the past six years, all of your likes etc, I worked in the office of an agency, and boss would just have a quick look at facebook profiles to get an idea of the person.
    What about if someone says they don't have a facebook account, do alarm bells ring? (I genuinely have never had one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    What about if someone says they don't have a facebook account, do alarm bells ring? (I genuinely have never had one).
    Probably wouldnt, theyd just be like okay then
    If you are worried maybe make one simply to have a profile, make it look professional and such
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No employer or uni would care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my teen years messed about on social media posting stupid offensive stuff I am not proud of and yet I have got 5 offers... I doubt they bother to check and ultimately if they did they'd be looking for serious reasons (i.e violent /drugs) not just messing about posts

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people don't have a Facebook account (I deactivated mine and will probably never go on it). In all honesty they genuinely don't care about your life aside from your educational background; maturity; skills.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.